Starfield! Who else is playing this? (1 Viewer)

Quicksilver-75

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
I'm about three hours in because hockey and coaching is ramping up. But who else is playing so my 48 year old ass can ask you questions?

My 47 year old ass has yet to start, but the Xbox-X has it downloaded and is just waiting for me to start. (Also going to play the Cyberpunk DLC that drops in a couple weeks)

This 57-year-old is currently 45 hours in. I like taking it slow and looking in every corner and talking to every person. I've barely started the main questline. Always picking up tons of stuff to sell, so I’m hopelessly encumbered. My quest log is a mile long. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
It's not Skyrim, but I'm still enjoying it.
I did the Mantis sidequest and got some killer stuff, havent found anything better so far.
Also, added a few mods for performance, inventory control, and remove the gray haze that's on EVERYTHING.
Photo_2023-09-05-153023.jpg

Photo_2023-09-06-192236 copy.jpg

Last edited:
This 57-year-old is currently 45 hours in. I like taking it slow and looking in every corner and talking to every person. I've barely started the main questline. Always picking up tons of stuff to sell, so I’m hopelessly encumbered. My quest log is a mile long. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
It's not Skyrim, but I'm still enjoying it.
I did the Mantis sidequest and got some killer stuff, havent found anything better so far.
Also, added a few mods for performance, inventory control, and remove the gray haze that's on EVERYTHING.
View attachment 1193663

View attachment 1193664
So you're on PC? I have also found over-encumberance a nuisance thus far. I played for so long carrying like an extra 100lbs of guns and suits and couldn't figure out why my CO2 notice kept going off...

So you're on PC? I have also found over-encumberance a nuisance thus far. I played for so long carrying like an extra 100lbs of guns and suits and couldn't figure out why my CO2 notice kept going off...
Weapon management is important. I only carry one weapon of each type of ammo, which is still a lot of weapons. I may still need to prioritize maybe the top 5 weapons I use and store the rest.
As far as stuff, bringing a companion is like having a mule. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: Always give them stuff to hold. Keeping stuff in the cargo hold of your ship is great too. Use the computer near the cockpit of each ship to access.
There’s also two storages with unlimited space that I’ve found so far. One is in your bedroom at the Lodge. The other is also in the Lodge, a small storage box on the center table in the research room in the basement. It’s great for storing all your resources, because you can pull them out, do research/crafting, then put them back.

I have bought both baldur's gate and star field...at release of course because well I loved BG 1&2, and well I've completed every fallout game except tactics. I only finished making a Paladin (as I always do) for BG bit haven't sat at the computer to game since. As for starfeild I have maybe 2hrs of game and a good 20hrs on pause where Ives started the game played litterally 5 mins and fellas asleep. I really only get time at night or rarely in the day when I have time at home when everyone is out. I cant RPG with others around, too distracting so times limited and sadly sleep wins a lot these days.

As for the game baldur's gate seems to be a epic game just getting started. Starfield may be similar however the inventory/menu interface is convoluted as heck and is very unrefined. Sorting thru menus I have run into numerous dead ends where I had to close and restart the actions because there was not "back" button to certain stages.

There’s also two storages with unlimited space that I’ve found so far. One is in your bedroom at the Lodge. The other is also in the Lodge, a small storage box on the center table in the research room in the basement. It’s great for storing all your resources, because you can pull them out, do research/crafting, then put them back.
This is going to help me immensely!!

i got the premium edition for free with the GPU i bought recently. i put about 3 hours into it and realized bethesda games are just not my kind of game anymore. playing it feels like a having second job.
Yep, Bethesda games are a major commitment.
As video games go, they’re considered a “slow burn”.

Weapon management is important. I only carry one weapon of each type of ammo, which is still a lot of weapons. I may still need to prioritize maybe the top 5 weapons I use and store the rest.
As far as stuff, bringing a companion is like having a mule. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: Always give them stuff to hold. Keeping stuff in the cargo hold of your ship is great too. Use the computer near the cockpit of each ship to access.

In Fallout4 to avoid over-encumbrance I limited myself to carrying 4-5 at a time.

Usually:
  • 1-sniper
  • 2-spray and pray
  • 3-shotgun type
  • 4 rocket launcher or other heavy
  • 5 nuke or other heavy
So far in SF I'm way up to 9+ given I want to try a bit of everything and am too new to know what is optimal. I don't have the luxury of a companion given I'm trying the skill that buffs damage and resists if you don't have companions or crew. If only it boosted carry weight as well...

Yesterday I switched away from the lodge for storing my stuff. Built a new ship with 2000+ capacity and figured... "I'll NEVER fill this ship up."

...wrong. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I downloaded it the other night and played a couple hours on Xbox - just enough to get acclimated, work through the tutorial missions, go to New Atlantis, and start what I presume is the main questline.

So far it's not bad. I'm going to give it about 10-12 hours and decide whether to keep going.

The story gets better. Some of the side quests get better and I’m even liking my companion’s quests. I’m finding that befriending certain people is very helpful, but making certain enemies means more and more confrontation.

Also, join a faction. Doesn’t matter which. I did the Freestar faction and it was good, and you can do more than one (although I’ve heard some may conflict). But I also heard you could be a double agent by joining two opposing factions at the same time. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I’m liking it more and more. But, it’s still the Bethesda grind, so if you plan on ripping through it in a few weeks, you’ll be disappointed.

But, it’s still the Bethesda grind, so if you plan on ripping through it in a few weeks, you’ll be disappointed.
I've played Skyrim since just after launch, and I still fire it up once in a while. It never felt like a grind - except the run where I used the alchemy enchanting loop to create an invulnerable Dragonborn who could one shot everything in the game. :cool

I've played Skyrim since just after launch, and I still fire it up once in a while. It never felt like a grind - except the run where I used the alchemy enchanting loop to create an invulnerable Dragonborn who could one shot everything in the game. :cool
By grind I meant you end up doing a lot of inventory management, running back to town to sell, repeat.
One of the numerous things Skyrim had was the great story for each area within Tamriel. What helped is that each area seemed so different.
With Starfield, you would think each world would be completely different, but so many are barren, bleak surfaces.
While the story is getting better, it’s not the same as an Elder Scrolls game.

While the story is getting better, it’s not the same as an Elder Scrolls game.

Agree completely. I'm heavily biased though given I vastly prefer scifi titles over fantasy.

I've actually paused moving the main story forward... not because of any issue though. I just enjoy knowing that the main plot is still out there and a mystery. I'll move it foward in good time. Initially I focused on surveying as much as I could, and now that I've found a suitable locale I'm focusing on building out the ultimate base. Starfield may not currently be skyrim's level, but I think with the continued support and whatever expansions Bethesda has in mind for it, it'll be a title for the ages.

One thing about the "barren/bleak" surfaces: I agree that they're sort of a downer, but at least when one does land there there's stuff to do besides mining. Recently while approaching a building complex a ship landed with a bunch of bounty hunters who were set on killing me because of my "Wanted" trait. Threw a nice curve at me which I wasn't expecting.

On PC and had to mod the game after the first couple hours to keep my interest. Inventory UI, increased bag/weight limit, skipping docking cut-scenes, etc. It's definitely a Bethesda game with how slow it starts and how long it takes to "get going". This should hold all the Fallout and Skyrim players over until ES6

On PC and had to mod the game after the first couple hours to keep my interest. Inventory UI, increased bag/weight limit, skipping docking cut-scenes, etc. It's definitely a Bethesda game with how slow it starts and how long it takes to "get going". This should hold all the Fallout and Skyrim players over until ES6
I did a few mods too, the inventory UI and performance/fog mods. I really wanted to leave it at that, because I wanted to play it the way the game was designed… but an increase in storage would certainly be helpful.
It’s a slippery slope, I’m afraid once I start really modding, I’ll be increasing my ammo, then health, etc.

I did a few mods too, the inventory UI and performance/fog mods. I really wanted to leave it at that, because I wanted to play it the way the game was designed… but an increase in storage would certainly be helpful.
It’s a slippery slope, I’m afraid once I start really modding, I’ll be increasing my ammo, then health, etc.
I've only given myself 1000 weight as far as "non QoL" mods

I just read a great review on Eurogamer about Starfield, which is fairly critical, but spot on in its comparison to Skyrim.
This section reminisces about Skyrim and summarizes my feelings:

“The long hike through snowy peaks between Dawnstar and Winterhold, where the wind lifts just in time with the mournful choirs of the score; the time a giant smacks a bandit and breaks the physics a little, sending him a mile or two up into the air. The temptation, from a symbol just at the edge of your compass, poking out of peripheral vision, of a Daedric shrine along a winding commute - or the opposite, the looming, intimidating dread of what you know will be a massive dungeon. It goes beyond the "see that mountain over there" quotes - and the astonishment of when you realise you really can walk all the way there, uninterrupted, for the first time. It's the stillness, the wind between the trees, the mixture of tasks and freedom, action and inaction, space and negative space, that does just as much to give a Bethesda world its still unmatched sense of life as the studio's astonishing clockwork engineering of people and planets in motion.

Starfield doesn't have it. It doesn't have surprises along the road, memories of journeys and distractions, a sense of artfully-engineered, perfectly positioned distraction and discovery, like each shrine was hand-placed by Video Game God, because it is both entirely disconnected and, frequently when you do roam about on a planet surface, procedurally generated. In Starfield the planets aren't entire regions, they're fixed cities with random land around them. You can't be lured off the road, or simply on the road to drink in the world, because there is quite literally no road to be lured away from. There's no route from one planet or system to the next. In Starfield, instead, you fast travel everywhere.”

Bingo.
But I’ll still play it! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom