Set for school use (1 Viewer)

Teach42

Flush
Reaction score
I teach a 'strategy games' elective at my middle school and this year a lot of students are interested in poker. I could bring in some dice chips, but I'd love to get some chips with denominations that aren't total garbage, but also that I won't cry if a few chips get lost along the way.

Any suggestions for a cheap set that would be student friendly?

I’d use the cards mold chips going around. There are plenty to buy now, or you could jump on a group order and get exactly what you want. Could even pay a bit more to customize the art, I think.

Those Tropicanas look perfect. Looking for something that has denoms on them and have some character, but they have to be cheap.

I hosted a game recently as a charity donation for a small group of middle schoolers. I used my Empress set just to kick it up a notch, but everytime they slammed one of the 1k's down, I cringed out of fear of them chipping! So something that I don't care about being lost or busted would be perfect.

Pick up anything that looks nice from Amazon or discountpokershop. Don't spend money on decent chips, just get something functional and attractive.

I teach a 'strategy games' elective at my middle school and this year a lot of students are interested in poker. I could bring in some dice chips, but I'd love to get some chips with denominations that aren't total garbage, but also that I won't cry if a few chips get lost along the way.

Is the school district going to come down on your for promoting gambling?

So something that I don't care about being lost or busted would be perfect.
https://brpropoker.com/collections/wicked-spades

The wicked spades from BRPro don't even have a currency mark on them, just numbers. Add to it the fact that they are ceramics (sorry for all you Tina people out there) and you can actually get them in a hurry, this seems like a winner for a school environment

This thread is worthless without pics, thanks @fish72s , Hey , it's junior high, this is what they want

20200906_190251.jpg
20200906_190220.jpg

If I were to buy a set of super cheap but pretty cool denominated chips, it'd be these:

https://www.discountpokershop.com/25pc-135g-spartan-clay-poker-chips-colors-p-733.html

This sounds like a pretty cool elective. It would be interesting to see how may middle school aged students already know probabilities. My guess is that the ones with older siblings will have a pretty good edge.

I remember doing something similar in high school, prior to Chris Moneymaker, but the teacher didn’t use poker chips, and instead used fake money that was used on an overhead projector. I would imagine the kids are pretty engaged with poker these days with all of the youtube poker blogging.

No sure what your budget is, but if you bought something like Claysmith Poker Knights or Apache Pharos you might get a few years out of them.

Is the school district going to come down on your for promoting gambling?
Nah. No money being exchanged. And we're going to focus in on the strategy end of it, the math of poker.
What public high school does your jr high feed into?
Private school. Kids go all over for high school.
Also extra credit if they can get sub 30 second cube solve by the end of the year
LOL, one of the other electives I'm offering is Cubing Club :p

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom