Recipe for King Ranch Chicken (1 Viewer)

DrStrange

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
Here you go @smux3 The recipe for King Ranch Chicken

Ingredients:
2 cups cooked chicken shredded
1 cup chicken broth
1 small onion chopped
1 cup chopped bell peppers
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can mild rotel tomatoes
2 dozen corn tortillas
chili powder
shredded Mexican bland cheese

Cook and shred chicken breast. Best results if you start with bone-in breasts, but you can buy canned chicken or rotisserie chicken. Really it is worth the effort to cook your own chicken and broth. Reserve one cup of broth, save the rest for other cooking projects.

Chop the bell peppers. I prefer the red/yellow/orange peppers. They look pretty and are easier to digest.
Chop the small onion.
Saute the peppers and onions in olive oil till tender. Don't skip this step, it makes a difference.

Cut the tortillas into quarters.

Combine the soups in a bowl and mix.

Cook in a 9" X 13" casserole dish.
Start by spraying the dish with Pam (you'll be glad you did at clean up time)
Layer the bottom of the dish with corn tortilla quarters
spread half of the soup blend on top of the tortillas
add half the sauted peppers and onions
add half the chicken
add half the rotel tomatoes
sprinkle with chili powder
layer cheese to taste, but not too much
repeat steps to create a second layer
Pour chicken broth over the casserole till half way full
Cover with foil.

You can stop here and refrigerate or bake right away. I.e. you could make this a day or two early. It even can be frozen if covered better.

Preheat oven to 350F. (cooking times are for room temperature casserole.)
Bake covered for 30 minutes
Remove foil and continue to bake until the top is bubbly and starting to brown - 15 to 30 minutes.

Remove from oven and let rest for five minutes.

Serves 8 - 12

Enjoy! -=- DrStrange

I'd like to point out that home cooked dinner is a lot less expensive than stuff bought ready to eat, but home cooked takes more time. A cold cut sandwich bar will run ~$60 to $80 for a single table game.

The dinner pictured below costs half as much at most, but took time and effort to prepare. Most people would say it was the better meal and never understand it was also the bargain meal.

The dinner pictured below costs half as much at most, but took time and effort to prepare. Most people would say it was the better meal and never understand it was also the bargain meal.

I'm with you Dr. Will be plenty of home cooked feed when I get a chance to host y'all.

That cake was excellent. And it got better with age - the left overs dried out a bit and made the icing stiff, almost crisp.

There is some art to cooking with pecans. They need to be roasted first rather than be added raw.

Wow Larry, your are the only person I've ever heard living south of the Mason Dixon that doesn't like pecan pie.

I've been living south of the Mason-Dixon Line since 1983, and know way more people who don't like it than people who do.

And north of the line, you've got to deal with Shoo-Fly Pie, which may be worse... :rolleyes:

I've been living south of the Mason-Dixon Line since 1983, and know way more people who don't like it than people who do.

And north of the line, you've got to deal with Shoo-Fly Pie, which may be worse... :rolleyes:

Please tell me you have accepted Cubano sandwiches into your life.

Here you go @smux3 The recipe for King Ranch Chicken

Ingredients:
2 cups cooked chicken shredded
1 cup chicken broth
1 small onion chopped
1 cup chopped bell peppers
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can mild rotel tomatoes
2 dozen corn tortillas
chili powder
shredded Mexican bland cheese

Cook and shred chicken breast. Best results if you start with bone-in breasts, but you can buy canned chicken or rotisserie chicken. Really it is worth the effort to cook your own chicken and broth. Reserve one cup of broth, save the rest for other cooking projects.

Chop the bell peppers. I prefer the red/yellow/orange peppers. They look pretty and are easier to digest.
Chop the small onion.
Saute the peppers and onions in olive oil till tender. Don't skip this step, it makes a difference.

Cut the tortillas into quarters.

Combine the soups in a bowl and mix.

Cook in a 9" X 13" casserole dish.
Start by spraying the dish with Pam (you'll be glad you did at clean up time)
Layer the bottom of the dish with corn tortilla quarters
spread half of the soup blend on top of the tortillas
add half the sauted peppers and onions
add half the chicken
add half the rotel tomatoes
sprinkle with chili powder
layer cheese to taste, but not too much
repeat steps to create a second layer
Pour chicken broth over the casserole till half way full
Cover with foil.

You can stop here and refrigerate or bake right away. I.e. you could make this a day or two early. It even can be frozen if covered better.

Preheat oven to 350F. (cooking times are for room temperature casserole.)
Bake covered for 30 minutes
Remove foil and continue to bake until the top is bubbly and starting to brown - 15 to 30 minutes.

Remove from oven and let rest for five minutes.

Serves 8 - 12

Enjoy! -=- DrStrange

Fantastic - thank you!

Making this tomorrow nite for my game. (y) :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing, doc.

I assume that's the Spanish phonetic pronunciation...

(Never have been able to come to grips with pecan pie {gag}...)

wz514ZV.png

My wife has started using a rotisserie chicken from Eatzis/ grocery store in her chicken enchiladas. Really kicks the meal up a notch. Best homemade Mexican dish I've ever had. I bet that would work great for this as well! And it cuts down on prep time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom