Poker chip advice (1 Viewer)

MuDdy

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hello all, newish member here, I’ve had a small set of chips for years now, I believe they were made by asm and are clay, with little flecks of metal in there. The chips are not labeled in any sort of way and I’ve been looking around on these forums and seen that I have basically 3 options in the labeling of these chips; hot stamping, milling a recess and stickers or just leave them unlabeled. As a novice out here on my own I’m not sure what makes sense. I have a total of 1000 chips plus a few spares in 7 different colors.

I’ve been using them for years as is and been pretty happy with them but I’m here so yeah, really love seeing all the custom chips on the forum

Any general advice for a noob?

Attachments

• 0B278C82-1A5E-4B2D-BC65-56B9E09F466F.jpeg
    0B278C82-1A5E-4B2D-BC65-56B9E09F466F.jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 141
  • CE595B59-5D33-4361-9CDD-07A10D0077D5.jpeg
    CE595B59-5D33-4361-9CDD-07A10D0077D5.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 135
HHR. Great mold
Yeah I love the chips but really know next to nothing about them. I picked them up off chiptalk years ago used. I only have a handful of spares. Maybe like 3 of each color, not sure how much breakage I should expect from either hot stamping or milling maybe I’m just better off leaving them for what they are.

Any info you have on what it is I actually have may help me make a decision, are these just run of the mill chips? I’ve tried to search for asm chips but they don’t seem to be around any more.

I'm not the expert, others have more knowledge then I, but, looks like your chip is ready for a label. All you would need to do is come up with a label design and have them printed. Then spend a weekend or two putting your labels on.

And I agree with your assessment of your 3 options. How do you currently use this breakdown? Cash/tourney? If you are happy with them what ARE you doing here? :wtf:
Mill or hotstamp yourself? If you send them off, what chips are you playing while you are waiting for them to comeback?
Probably ASM, price range less than $1 each?

If you use the search feature looking for labels you'll probably find a ton of info as it's a subject that's well covered here.

I'm not the expert, others have more knowledge than I, but, looks like your chip is ready for a label. All you would need to do is come up with a label design and have them printed. Then spend a weekend or two putting your labels on.
There does not appear to be a recessed area that would allow a label to be applied so looks like they need to be milled for that

Can I assume that there is some degree of breakage that occurs either milling or hot stamping? If the answer is yes I think it may prevent me from persuing labeling as I kinda will use all of these chips at times and wouldn’t want to burn any in the process of labeling them.

And I agree with your assessment of your 3 options. How do you currently use this breakdown? Cash/tourney? If you are happy with them what ARE you doing here? :wtf:
Mill or hotstamp yourself? If you send them off, what chips are you playing while you are waiting for them to comeback?
Probably ASM, price range less than $1 each?
I usually use these in tournaments. We will start off with some denominations and color up when the stacks get high. In the past I had a sheet that I would hang up with the pictures of the chips with the denominations on it which worked pretty good for all the players.

If I sent them off I would play with some cheap dice chips.

4BA8FCB8-C0B4-4CA1-937B-96C333B81108.jpeg

These are the only spares I have no spare red white or blues. Also this is the only one of the original boxes that these chips came with. Is this ASM?

Want to sell them?
I’m not sure. really I’ve been using them for years, but have been playing mostly online for some years now, but I don’t think I could replace them for what I got them for. And while I really like the idea of having a labeled set, this set has been nearly perfect for me for a long time.

These are perfectly usable chips. The question is if you want to go through the time and expense of milling them to get an aftermarket label put in. It can be done without breakage.

Hot stamping is also an option, but be wary of the cost of the dies.

If ever there was a case for hot stamp this is it.
How many people in your game? Given the obvious edge spots and not chips it looks like two sets. A traditional spoted 25-1K tourney set and a small non spotted cash set in the offing.

If ever there was a case for hot stamp this is it.
How many people in your game? Given the obvious edge spots and not chips it looks like two sets. A traditional spoted 25-1K tourney set and a small non spotted cash set in the offing.
We generally have no more than 8 players in the group, I have enough plaques for 8 players to start off with 1-$1000 and 2-$500 plaques. Generally the non spotted chips see more use as that’s what the tourneys use and we do a color up process mid game but try to not have a ton of chips out there near the end of the game to save time counting and stacking.

Another user mentioned the cost of the hot stamping dies, are there hot stamping companies that have standard dies already made so you dont need fully custom dies made? What is a ballpark price for hot stamping the whole set(1000ish chips)?

Great info here! Thanks for all the advice everyone. Cool to see the enthusiasm for my set, I’ve always really enjoyed using them and cool to see positive comments when there are soo many great sets posted on this site!

We generally have no more than 8 players in the group, I have enough plaques for 8 players to start off with 1-$1000 and 2-$500 plaques. Generally the non spotted chips see more use as that’s what the tourneys use and we do a color up process mid game but try to not have a ton of chips out there near the end of the game to save time counting and stacking.

Another user mentioned the cost of the hot stamping dies, are there hot stamping companies that have standard dies already made so you dont need fully custom dies made? What is a ballpark price for hot stamping the whole set(1000ish chips)?

Great info here! Thanks for all the advice everyone. Cool to see the enthusiasm for my set, I’ve always really enjoyed using them and cool to see positive comments when there are soo many great sets posted on this site!
ASM chips rock. That is the law.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom