Paying for goods on PCF (1 Viewer)

ThePrototype

Straight
Reaction score
Just wondering, reading through all the for sale posts and seeing alot of sales requesting payment by paypal FF. Why is this? Surely everyone is leaving themselves wide open to being ripped off this way? Dont get me wrong i bet 99% of the sales will be legit but there will always be that 1% out to sting people.

If you’re unsure there’s always the possibility to add 3% and use the goods & service option. Look at peoples’ feedback, be careful but know there’s probably only a very small risk of getting ripped off. I have bought and sold quite a bit in my relatively short time here, both with senior well known members and with complete newbies. Always used the f&f option and still at 100% successful transactions

I've had better luck with FnF on PCF than through offerup and even regular purchases on eBay.
For the most part this forum is honest and trustworthy, if someone isn't, generally it becomes exposed publicly and at that point buying from that person is at your discretion

Do your homework on the seller before you commit to anything. If you have any reason to question if the deal will be problematic, then the question isn't "FnF or G&S" as much as why are you doing business with them in the first place.

Well theres not alot of research you can do tbh on a forum member. Anyway i just want to say if said member does see this then it was over precaution on both sides and it was worked out in the end. But speaking on personal interactions outside this forum buying and selling thousands of pounds in car parts, goods and services is always the best way to go. Sure people say you can trust someone there reputable etc. But that one day you loose 1K on a set of chips etc oh boy will you be sore. Anyway what do i know woith less than 10 posts hahaa

If you’re unsure there’s always the possibility to add 3% and use the goods & service option. Look at peoples’ feedback, be careful but know there’s probably only a very small risk of getting ripped off. I have bought and sold quite a bit in my relatively short time here, both with senior well known members and with complete newbies. Always used the f&f option and still at 100% successful transactions
I tried that and even said i will cover the fees no issues i was upfront and willing all the way. Still got brickwalled. In the car game thats a walk away deal every day of the week regardless. Like a pre flop fold haha

Also, as some others have noted this in other threads, paying through PayPal with a credit card (even with friends and family) gives a second option that if you boned on a purchase the credit company will be more likely to reimburse your funds

I wish there was some better way to do international transactions. PayPal fees suck, big time.

Indeed. PayPal 5% fees are too high
tenor.png

Also, as some others have noted this in other threads, paying through PayPal with a credit card (even with friends and family) gives a second option that if you boned on a purchase the credit company will be more likely to reimburse your funds

This is true, but for those of us that have to convert our purchases to US dollars through a credit card, the exchange rate is *punishing*.

There is the possibility of getting a credit card linked to a bank account that is solely in US dollars, but not sure if that is worth the hassle of another account to keep track of.

Ok ok ok, i see what you US guys are getting at and i dont believe 5% is too bad for "protection" BUT anyway this was a UK to UK transaction. If i as a buyer says they would cover the 3% fees then there should be no problem correct? Anyway if the original seller reads this message i hope no offence is taken i am just simply trying to feel out why the FF is such a popular buying route here.

This is true, but for those of us that have to convert our purchases to US dollars through a credit card, the exchange rate is *punishing*.

There is the possibility of getting a credit card linked to a bank account that is solely in US dollars, but not sure if that is worth the hassle of another account to keep track of.
The exchange rates within Paypal are not any better, especially once you factor in the currency conversion fees.

The exchange rates within Paypal are not any better, especially once you factor in the currency conversion fees.
I cant comment on that situation but it sounds really sucky to be honest. Maybee something to consider before i emigrate if it costs me soo much for chips haha

Ok ok ok, i see what you US guys are getting at and i dont believe 5% is too bad for "protection" BUT anyway this was a UK to UK transaction. If i as a buyer says they would cover the 3% fees then there should be no problem correct? Anyway if the original seller reads this message i hope no offence is taken i am just simply trying to feel out why the FF is such a popular buying route here.

Well, I pay no extra fees if I am paying to another Canadian (or a PayPal address registered in Canada). I'm sure, for the same reason, that there are no fees for USA registrants to pay other USA registrants, which is probably at least 80% of transactions between PCF members. And it's not inconvenient to use PayPal accounts, as you can use that money to pay for a variety of goods and services among lots of platforms. It's just the international stuff that kicks you in the groin.

If your not comfortable with the sale, pay the fee. Most of the time everyone states F&F so they don't get a fee. This entire community is driven by trust, so if you arnt comfortable, you can take steps to protect yourself. But don't expect the seller for cover that cost.

Or buy off eBay. This place is way safer then eBay, but that again is up to you as the buyer.

Two points -

The one time I sold something with buyer protection (not FF) PayPal sent me a tax form. Eff that - I have no need to list chip
purchases and sales on my income tax.

But in terms of getting ripped off - maybe a bunch of poker players are more comfortable with that risk than average people?

If your not comfortable with the sale, pay the fee. Most of the time everyone states F&F so they don't get a fee. This entire community is driven by trust, so if you arnt comfortable, you can take steps to protect yourself. But don't expect the seller for cover that cost.

Or buy off eBay. This place is way safer then eBay, but that again is up to you as the buyer.
@Josh Kifer thats what i asked to do but they would only accept payments through FF. I offered to cover the paypal fees also. Wierd no?

Two points -

The one time I sold something with buyer protection (not FF) PayPal sent me a tax form. Eff that - I have no need to list chip
purchases and sales on my income tax.

But in terms of getting ripped off - maybe a bunch of poker players are more comfortable with that risk than average people?
The second part is just plain arrogant. So if you play you should bend over for a good old reaming and risks are a day to day thing?

@Josh Kifer thats what i asked to do but they would only accept payments through FF. I offered to cover the paypal fees also. Wierd no?
I have never seen anyone have issue as long as you pay the fees. If they do, it might be from past issues of people attempting to take payment back after delivery. I've had it done once before (non chip tho) and it held up 500 bucks for 4 months. I can understand why someone might not wanna go thru that adventure again. Paypal is a rough company to work with.

I have never seen anyone have issue as long as you pay the fees. If they do, it might be from past issues of people attempting to take payment back after delivery. I've had it done once before (non chip tho) and it held up 500 bucks for 4 months. I can understand why someone might not wanna go thru that adventure again. Paypal is a rough company to work with.
Yep thats what i thought also but its a wierd company. But when you go FF as a buyer you also leave yourself wide open. @Josh Kifer never ever send anything without tracking and a signature. I again have done this many times with car related items and never had a fault with paypal even when the recipient has tried to pull a fast one

Yep thats what i thought also but its a wierd company. But when you go FF as a buyer you also leave yourself wide open. @Josh Kifer never ever send anything without tracking and a signature. I again have done this many times with car related items and never had a fault with paypal even when the recipient has tried to pull a fast one
Uh... I'm pretty comfortable with my shipping process. I've been here a while.

The second part is just plain arrogant. So if you play you should bend over for a good old reaming and risks are a day to day thing?
Wow. Arrogant? That’s a strange choice of words. Either I didn’t write that well or you misread it. Or maybe you’re just wound up about this.
I think poker players are more comfortable at evaluating risks than your average citizen. That doesn’t mean I expect anybody to take it up the rear, or anywhere else.
If you’re just frustrated that you can’t log on to amazon and buy the chips you want with all the safety and security of dealing with a big corporation, I hear you.
If the PCF classifieds aren’t for you, there are other places to buy chips. eBay is one of them. Apache poker chips is another. Spinettis is a third.

Wow. Arrogant? That’s a strange choice of words. Either I didn’t write that well or you misread it. Or maybe you’re just wound up about this.
I think poker players are more comfortable at evaluating risks than your average citizen. That doesn’t mean I expect anybody to take it up the rear, or anywhere else.
If you’re just frustrated that you can’t log on to amazon and buy the chips you want with all the safety and security of dealing with a big corporation, I hear you.
If the PCF classifieds aren’t for you, there are other places to buy chips. eBay is one of them. Apache poker chips is another. Spinettis is a third.
QUIT BEING SO ARROGANT YOU PLEEB. *RARUMPH!*

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom