Notre Dame is on fire :( (1 Viewer)

Psypher1000

Straight Flush
Reaction score
Damn.

Still cannot believe this...
Started construction in 1163! Took over 200 years to construct and the majority of it is on fire and burning :(
Hope they are able to salvage and save some of it and rebuild.
Still in shock and awe...

Last edited:
What is the historical significance? Just curious as from my very ignorant Canadian perspective Europe is chalked full of old churches. This is an honest question and I am not trying to diminish the gravity of the situation.

As much as I dislike ND in so many ways, I sure wouldn't have wished this on them.

And for the record, I didn't start the fire!!!

Still cannot believe this...
Started construction in 1863! Took over 200 years to construct and the majority of it is on fire and burning :(
Hope they are able to salvage and save some of it and rebuild.
Still in shock and awe...
1163 not 1863.

Mate I hope you're right, but I'm not sure if this damage can be restored. A new superstructure can be built, sure, but the spire and roof are already gone along with all that art.
I’m sure it can all be rebuilt; it will just take time and money dedicated to it. If it was built once it can be built again. Hopefully France can dedicated that money as it is a true heritage site

As much as I dislike ND in so many ways, I sure wouldn't have wished this on them.

And for the record, I didn't start the fire!!!
This is the ND cathedral in Paris, not the university in Indiana.

What is the historical significance?
Notre Dame is a medieval Catholic cathedral, the original built was in 1160 ordered by Maurice de Sully (named Bishop of Paris). The cathedral is considered as one of the finest examples of Gothic architecture.

If you are Catholic; the rooster at the summit of the spire of the Cathedral (which collapsed) contained three relics; a piece of the Crown of Thorns and relics of Denis and Saint Genevieve, patron saints of Paris.

Beside that, it used to have the biggest and colorful rose windows

Beside that, it used to have the biggest and colorful rose windows
Looks like the windows above the giant rose windows have both been lost/blown out. The rose windows themselves appear to be intact, although surely smoke damaged if not heat damaged. It's nighttime there now so it's difficult to tell.

The bell towers appear to have been put out before the superstructures were weakened beyond repair, which is good.

I'm hoping they were able to move some of the art and church relics out before it was too late. Some of those pieces are truly remakable.

It’s a beautiful building and a real shame. Hope they can do something with whatever is left.

On a lighter note I once met a guy who worked there. I said to him “I bet you’re the bell ringer”.

He said “I am indeed the bell ringer. How did you know that?”

I said “Just a hunch”.

left tower is now in flames
Boooo....

"We are not sure we can stop the spread of fire"
Yup, that was the fear from the start. Soooo much old timber in those gothic churches and not many fire breaks. Between the age, size, shape, & composition of the structure those firefighters have their work cut out for them.

Wow that’s so sad to see, hope no one got hurt

Oh shit, I saw this thread when I woke up and assumed it was the American Notre dame place.

That’s awful news, I visited a couple of years ago and it really is an amazing piece of history.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom