Next Abbiati Group Buy? (1 Viewer)

Ah I do see the differences now. Definitely want perfection when u paying $$$ for brand new chips.

I love those!
Well, I guess Justin decided to pull the plug on that deal. I thought there were enough who had interest and we were waiting on him to get the newest price changes. But I guess not. It's sad, because that was such a great design.

I think it's interesting what people are willing to tolerate among different chip types. With clays, the common thinking is that imperfections are acceptable because they're "handcrafted" and should be embraced for their uniqueness.
Yet, anything other than perfection is unacceptable for high-end plastics? :unsure:
Granted, I saw a few chips in that referenced thread that were definite problems...but when the text on one chip is slightly bolder than another is hardly worth worrying about, imo.

I think it's interesting what people are willing to tolerate among different chip types. With clays, the common thinking is that imperfections are acceptable because they're "handcrafted" and should be embraced for their uniqueness.
Yet, anything other than perfection is unacceptable for high-end plastics? :unsure:
Granted, I saw a few chips in that referenced thread that were definite problems...but when the text on one chip is slightly bolder than another is hardly worth worrying about, imo.
Don't Abbiatis run like $4 a chip? When they are close to 20 times what el cheapo plastics go for, I don't think it's unreasonable expect close to perfection. At that price, the manufacturer should take the time to QC the chips and weed out the ones that are obviously flawed.

Edit: Or include a 5% overage with each order.

Don't Abbiatis run like $4 a chip? When they are close to 20 times what el cheapo plastics go for, I don't think it's unreasonable expect close to perfection. At that price, the manufacturer should take the time to QC the chips and weed out the ones that are obviously flawed.

Edit: Or include a 5% overage with each order.
I guess my point is that people don’t expect CPCs (some can run close to $4/chip) and don’t expect perfection. They’re willing to accept some level of variation and imperfection.
I will agree that if the majority of the chips have a serious issue, like the very blurry $25s in that linked thread, that should be addressed. But I saw plenty of comparison photos that I would not consider a problem.

I guess my point is that people don’t expect CPCs (some can run close to $4/chip) and don’t expect perfection. They’re willing to accept some level of variation and imperfection.
I will agree that if the majority of the chips have a serious issue, like the very blurry $25s in that linked thread, that should be addressed. But I saw plenty of comparison photos that I would not consider a problem.
With CPC we’re willing to accept the imperfections that are inherent to the hand made chip production process such as differencies in spot forms and placements. That is all to be expected.

These others were unexpected errors that had no reasonable explanation for being there. Not the same thing.

Clay imperfections come across as beautiful in nature. Because clay itself is imperfect, the imperfections that come along with it just look natural as odd as that sounds.

Since the injection molded chips attempt to achieve perfection, like the Borg, when they fail and turn out sloppy, it's much more noticeable. It just doesn't fit.

So, combine that with the premium you're paying, and it definitely irks people.

That being said, the Park Place chips were regarded as the favorites among my regulars. They beat out CPC, they beat out Paulsons, they beat out other plastics and ceramics... So I guess the moral of the story is that I hate everyone I play with. I do love the PPs, and I would never sell my set, but it would make me think more than twice about buying again from Abiatti.

I think the total price per chip on the park place order was about $2.40. @Tommy would know for certain.

Last edited:
A slight error on the inlay on a CPC chip would be scrutinized harshly, an imperfection in the clay the chip was made of wouldn't.

I owned both crown plaza and Park Place but only saw fading text in pp (correct me if I’m wrong) both had bleeding issues but was not a deal breaker.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom