Cash Game New set, possible addons (1 Viewer)

SteveHNo96

Flush
Reaction score
I'm probably going to earn the scorn of all cash game loyalists right now who always say you don't need a 25c and a 50c chip in the same set, but there is method to the madness:

I can add more if I need to but here's what I have right now:

100 pink (5c)
80 yellow (25c)
60 purple (50c)
120 blue ($1)
80 red ($5)
35 orange ($13)
25 green ($25)

20 black (bounty)
20 white (show 'em)

Before anyone says anything, the reason i have both 25c and 50c fracs are because all of my quarter chips for all my sets are yellow, yet the purple design is possibly my favorite design of the entire DDLM set so I made it 50c. Plus the colors are in line with the GPI Monacos, a set I got last year.

Why $13? First of all, why not? but second, because it REALLY fits with the DDLM/Halloween motif, possibly better than any other denomination. $13 is really just the best denomination of all when you have a set dedicated to the Mexican Day of the Dead. Even if I had made it $10 in line with the GPI Monacos, I don't think it would have had as much of an effect.

I had an additional idea to make the green chip worth $26, but decided against it for one simple reason: I realized that making change for a $13 chip isn't really that hard. Someone gives you two of them, you give them a green and a blue and then they can take the green and have five reds.

What I'm wondering is: should I add more chips to the order of any denomination? This is just going to be a for fun game with probably a minimum buy in of $10 and no limit to rebuying as long as you have cash. 2 show em chips will be given to each player and if they want more, once one is used they can buy one for $1 a chip afterwards.

Also eventually I may make this an 800 chip set if I like the chips enough.

View attachment 423964

Hinckley_BRProDDLM.jpg

I won't scorn you about the .50c chip as well as a .25c chip (although I'm not a fan), but a bounty chip in a cash game? That's... different. In a tournament for sure, but in a cash game where you can rebuy or reload at any time, I'm not sure how that would work. Do your players have to buy an additional bounty chip to keep playing if they lose it all? And isn't the actual cash won (or lost) by busting a player incentive enough? Seems a bit like piling insult onto injury for the losing player.

Also how do your players feel about the show 'em chips in a cash game? I know a few players that would refuse to participate in a cash game with show 'em chips (they hate giving away information to players that don't pay for it).

Not being dismissive here, more curious about how it works and how your players react.

I won't scorn you about the .50c chip as well as a .25c chip (although I'm not a fan), but a bounty chip in a cash game? That's... different. In a tournament for sure, but in a cash game where you can rebuy or reload at any time, I'm not sure how that would work. Do your players have to buy an additional bounty chip to keep playing if they lose it all? And isn't the actual cash won (or lost) by busting a player incentive enough? Seems a bit like piling insult onto injury for the losing player.

Also how do your players feel about the show 'em chips in a cash game? I know a few players that would refuse to participate in a cash game with show 'em chips (they hate giving away information to players that don't pay for it).

Not being dismissive here, more curious about how it works and how your players react.

The people I have talked to about bounties say exactly the opposite, that it adds an extra incentive to win the game. Bounties add a little flavor to a cash game. Plus it can go either way, we can say "you are out of chips. Rebuy or give up your bounty" and that would be like a $5 cost or we can do it your way. It's a simple matter of risk and reward, something poker players enjoy.

I actually was thinking a structure for the show em card. Allow say one or two for free, then if they want another one, they pay a price to the winner of the hand, say $1 or so, or just don't allow more and make them decide where and when to use it. Every time I've ever played a cash game, they've been low stakes enough that it has never been a real issue. We joke around and play cards for a few dollars.

Last edited:
The people I have talked to about bounties say exactly the opposite, that it adds an extra incentive to win the game.
That's what I'm not getting... Cash games I play in seldom (never) go until everybody loses everything, so nobody really "wins the game" (unlike a tournament). Sure some players lose a few (or several) buy-ins and then go home early, but usually (always) most players leave with at least some cash in their pockets. I guess if there is a really cut-throat game where the expectation is that one player wins and everybody else loses then that makes sense, but it's not the type of cash game I've ever played in. Maybe I need to get out more.

we can say "you are out of chips. Rebuy or give up your bounty" and that would be like a $5 cost ....
So couldn't a player rebuy for the minimum, keep the bounty, and then cash out (like you can do at any time in a cash game), and redeem the bounty when he cashes out? Which would pretty much negate ever having to surrender the bounty. Again, I'm trying to figure out how this actually works in real life.

So couldn't a player rebuy for the minimum, keep the bounty, and then cash out (like you can do at any time in a cash game), and redeem the bounty when he cashes out? Which would pretty much negate ever having to surrender the bounty. Again, I'm trying to figure out how this actually works in real life.

First of all, our games generally do not have a jump in and jump out policy like you are describing. The last time we did a cash game, we all essentially agreed on a time when the game would be over. In that case, it was actually when the host and her husband both busted out and were down 60 bucks.

You could theoretically make it every time someone busts out they could buy another bounty, or you could make it a one time and rebuy or give up the chip if you bust out.

The way you are describing though is called poor sportsmanship, and doing it will likely not get you invited to any more games. If this was a common occurrence, however, all you would have to do is mandate a minimum time playing after each rebuy, like 20 minutes, or a minimum number of hands like 3 times around the ring before you can cash out unless everyone agrees to end the game, or just make the bounties after each bust out.

I actually had a brother that used to play pinochle and was such a poor sport he lit his wife's cards on fire with a lighter during a game while she was holding the cards. Imagine having to make a rule that you can't destroy the cards if you're doing poorly.

One thing I have learned about any game you play, and this is true in sports, cards, pool or whatever is there will be people who try to break the game by not playing properly and extra rules get added as a result.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom