New game? Seven card SOHE (1 Viewer)

Darson

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
Last night I played at a new game hosted by someone I met at MrCatPant's game. It was an interesting mix playing dealers choice where they mostly called Omaha type games with 4 or 5 hole cards and either double board or 2 rivers. Of course, I introduced them to Scarney which was loved by some and hated by others (and I totally messed up the rules forgetting the 2 turns and the low points but never mind, it still worked).

Anyway, there is one game that I have not played before that they call "seven card". It's 6 players max, 7 hole cards separated into a 2 card holdem hand and a 5 card Omaha hand and the Omaha is played high-low. So if there is a low, the pot can potentially be split 3 ways.

It seems to be an action game as a lot of people catch a piece of something. Safe to say I paid for my education! I'm not surprised that I've not seen this before as it's 6 players max - have you run into this or similar before?

SOHE has always been 7 max as you’ll run out of cards with more players.

Never have heard of the Omaha hand being played hi/lo

edit: misread that it’s a 5 card Omaha hand

Its just SOHE with an extra card. You could call it Big SOHE. I wouldnt want to play it hi/lo because you are splitting up a split pot with a very good chance of getting into 1/8ths. That's reaching into the ridiculous territory.

I forgot to mention that they play it with two rivers (so single board up to the turn and then two river cards which you can use selectively but not together - i.e. it's not river/ocean but double board rivers).

And yes, one hand ended with the winner getting 5/6th and the other 1/6th...

Its just SOHE with an extra card. You could call it Big SOHE. I wouldnt want to play it hi/lo because you are splitting up a split pot with a very good chance of getting into 1/8ths. That's reaching into the ridiculous territory.
Never do this. I once played a round of five card double board hi/low Omaha at The Windy City meetup and you needed an accounting team from Ernst and Young to administer the chops. If you want to make sure you have a ten minute accounting session in every hand this is a wonderful way to do it.

I forgot to mention that they play it with two rivers (so single board up to the turn and then two river cards which you can use selectively but not together - i.e. it's not river/ocean but double board rivers).

And yes, one hand ended with the winner getting 5/6th and the other 1/6th...
Oh yeah, and deuces and 7's are wild....

7 card SOHE has been played as regular SOHE, but with the option to add the extra card to either Omaha side or to HE. Late position really comes into play when everyone goes Omaha and you are the only one playing 3card NHLE for half! Typically gets played when the dealer accidentally forgets to stop at 6.

This is my fault. I introduced that crew to SOHE and it wasn't enough for them. So it became "Eric 2.0" "Eric 3.0" and then this abomination.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom