My Display/Storage case for The Nakatomi Plaza's (1 Viewer)

mattross1313

Full House
Reaction score
Hey PCF!

With the Nakatomi Plaza chips all finished, I wanted to find a better storage solution for them and try to make them into more of a display piece. This also allows me to free up my 500pc briefcase for the Nakatomi cash set :ninja: . I saw a post here recently where a member picked up an old cutlery canteen for cheap and used it to hold rows of chips. Seemed like a neat idea. I lucked out and found this nice wooden unit on FB Marketplace, which has the top section but also a drawer that I can use to stash card setups, DB's etc etc.

As expected, both storage areas had large 'bits' in the middle to hold all the silverware. I had hoped these would pop out easy enough without damaging the felt, but alas not. Here's the unit when I got it home and offered up some racks:

Start2.pngStart.png

This was the mess after I removed the silverware holder on the drawer, same on the upper deck too.

drawer before.png

So I set to work making some new floors with thick card and adhesive felt, which turned out pretty well.

Drawer.png

Last up was making some small dividers on the top section to hold the racks in place, I don't plan to transport this case outside the house, but always good to seat things well. I used small wooden batons for the frame, then wrapped them in the adhesive felt.

layout.pngframe.pngempty.png rack missing.png

Added a decal on the lid, and that's a wrap! All ready to take pride of place in the home office

lid.png

Close.png

table open.png
table close.png

I was looking for ideas for a case for my soon-to-arrive-hopefully chips a while ago and this thread inspired me.

I've considered the acrylic bird cages, classic aluminium thingies, hard cases but the cutlery box idea really grabbed me. I don't need something designed to be portable - my chips aren't going anywhere - so it would be good to have something aimed at display instead.

Been watching eBay for a few weeks and have just bought a couple of empty boxes to repurpose.

First one is in really good condition, with a key, and any wear is on the old insides that I will be ripping out anyway. I'm going to 3D print a new tray/racks that will be lined with the same suede as my tables rail and be an exact fit - not too loose and not too tight - for my 800 chip set. This canteen can hold them in one layer with millimetres to spare.

I then bought another one because it too was in excellent condition, again could hold all chips in one layer but also had a draw .. and was £10 + postage. Bargin I hope.

I can see myself doing a few of these - great use of the 3D printer. Maybe this will become the addiction I get from PCF :)

Can't wait to see what you come up with @Nymor . I lucked out and found my case on FB Marketplace. The drawer is useful for storing other game stuff like buttons and card set ups etc :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom