Cash Game Mixed Big Bet Game (1 Viewer)

detroitdad

Royal Flush
Reaction score
I was introduced to this game at @Jeff meet up. We played a mix of 8 different games that were PL, FL, and NL. We used snappers and 25's. There was a $100 cap per player/loss per hand.

I would like to do something similar for my home game. I would like to start off at 3/6 vs 5/10.

Where I could use some help is with the blinds. What should they be foe each style of betting?

7 players max. If its a 6 player game, the player to the right of the dealer will sit out.

Fixed Limit Blinds: 1/3?

Pot Limit Blinds: 1/1? or just one "$1.00" blind?

NL Blinds: 1/1 or just one "$1.00" blind?

No max on the buy in since there is a cap on losses per hand. Starting stacks will probably be a rack of ones and 25's to fill in the rest.

Game rotation:

Fixed limit games

Archie

2-7 triple draw

Pitch N Roll Stud 8

Pot Limit Games

Dra2maha

SOHE

Big O

NL Games

3 Hand Hold'em

Hold'em

What games would you like to see in the rotation? I struggled to find NL games for the rotation.

I'm tagging a few guys that play regularly at my house to garner their input.

@mike32
@Marc Hedrick
@Azcat
@ChaosRock
@WedgeRock
@Sprouty
@Copper44
@Cidertown
@ThePunk
@K1100lt

If I forgot to tag someone feel free.

Also tagging @Payback because he pretty much ran the game in July.

Thanks in advance.

B

Last edited:
starting stacks will be 100 x 1 and however many 25's I need to finish it off. I probably wont host this until I get my ABC set. My next biggest set is the Sunsets. I think I have just less than 500 x 1.

If it's a fixed limit game (assuming betting rounds are capped at a bet and 3 raises and a game with 4 streets of betting) the formula for determining where a loss is capped is 12x the Big Bet. For example, if every street was capped in a $1/$2 FL game a player would put $4/$4/$8/$8 in each street respectively, or $24. So the largest stakes you could play while capping losses at $100/hand would be $4/$8 ($96).

Obviously, you have to adjust this for stud games or if you go Vegas style (1 bet and 4 raises).

In terms of PL and NL games, the stakes only determine how quickly you want players to be able to reach the cap. I prefer a deeper game personally, so I'd like to see blinds of $.50/$.50 or $1/$1... at $1/$2 everyone's effective stack is only 50 BBs deep.

So I need to ask - what's the allure of capping losses per hand? Does it push the action? Have you been losing players?

6 & 7-stud games played pot limit and mississippi stud style (4th and 5th streets dealt together).

Is capping losses difficult to practically do? Never tried that

You could play half pot instead, if you are set on limiting losses.
Or 'modified pot limit' where anytime the pot goes over a certain amount, a cap is instituted on bet size. So, $100 modified pot limit caps bets and raise at $100 when the pot reaches $100.
Split pot games can help with this, as well.

Last edited:
I'm not necessarily advocating limiting the action, but those are some ways to do it.

I'm not necessarily advocating limiting the action, but those are some ways to do it.
Not only does this limit the action on a given hand, but can keep the games from breaking if several players are underfunded.

If it's a fixed limit game (assuming betting rounds are capped at a bet and 3 raises and a game with 4 streets of betting) the formula for determining where a loss is capped is 12x the Big Bet. For example, if every street was capped in a $1/$2 FL game a player would put $4/$4/$8/$8 in each street respectively, or $24. So the largest stakes you could play while capping losses at $100/hand would be $4/$8 ($96).

Obviously, you have to adjust this for stud games or if you go Vegas style (1 bet and 4 raises).

In terms of PL and NL games, the stakes only determine how quickly you want players to be able to reach the cap. I prefer a deeper game personally, so I'd like to see blinds of $.50/$.50 or $1/$1... at $1/$2 everyone's effective stack is only 50 BBs deep.

So I need to ask - what's the allure of capping losses per hand? Does it push the action? Have you been losing players?

Basically the idea is to keep the fixed limit players from getting slaughtered by good NL/PL players and to keep the FL and NL rounds to the same stakes throughout the entire game. Imagine your playing 2/4 limit most of the night and worked your stack from 100 to 500. Now you go broke in one hand for whatever reason in NL. That one hand could've played 10x bigger than any other hand the rest of the game. Kinda sucks when your on the losing end of it.

Exactly as @Payback said. The cap is designed to keep the games relatively equal. For a $100 player cap 25/50c blinds for the big bet games will help keep players from being capped by the flop bet.

As far as keeping the pot/ bets straight it is simple. Each player keeps their current bets in front of them. Once the betting round is complete you push that money a little further in front of you like it is your own separate pot. At least that is how we have done. Works fine for knowing how much everyone has put in so far and how much betting is left in the cap. Once the cap is hit all the money is pushed into a single pot.

Last edited:
We play 5/10 limit and 1/2 blinds for pl and nl and 10/20 limit and 1/3 blinds for pl and nl.
Dealers choice of game for one orbit. We always start with the dealer button in the 'one seat' and high card for the game button, then change games when the dealer button get to the 'one seat' again. Since our table has a box, the 'one seat' is the seat to the left of the box, etc.
For 3/6 I would use 0.50/1 or 1/1 blinds.
Our rule is that the same game can't be called consecutively.
I should add that we have mostly fixed limit games in our stack, which keeps things from getting it of control.
Remember, losing is supposed to sting, so size your limits and blinds accordingly.

Basically the idea is to keep the fixed limit players from getting slaughtered by good NL/PL players and to keep the FL and NL rounds to the same stakes throughout the entire game.

Can confirm you can still get slaughtered though :(

Some people I see are touching on this...

What do you think is the optimal ratio between limits in limit games and blinds in big bet games when running a mix of both?

We recently did .25/.25 big bet games and .50/1 limits in limit games. I get the idea of keeping the max committed by player in big bet games to approx the 12BB possible to lose in the fixed limit games. Thus .25/.25 big bet to 1/2 limit, but in general avg pot sizes seem more in line with what we did. There are always going to be those random large pots in big bet games though. Can't escape it, and I personally feel that caps on losses are against the spirit of the big bet games. Plus it really seems to depend on which big bet games. NLHE plays smaller than PLO and PLO8. And we don't play pot limit circus stuff like SOHE.

I think it worked best this time around for us because we had many players with little to no experience in games other than NLHE. So we were trying to keep those games for overwhelming the players.

Good info. I’m taking notes. Im hoping to make our game NLH/PLO then whatever mix games for the night played fixed limit.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom