Micro stake cash set with 5c and $20? (1 Viewer)

Chrisja77

High Hand
Reaction score
Getting ready to pull the trigger on my first “real” chip purchase and I have almost talked myself into the Apache CC Majestics. They seem like a great chip with a loyal fan base and a nice step up from my current big box store set. The only thing I don’t love about them is that it comes with a $25 chip and not a $20 chip. We usually do $20 buy ins and nickle antes so a $25 chip is just awkward. I know I can swap labels on these but I’d rather not have to. Are there any other sets around the same price point you would suggest that would have 5c, 25c, $1, $5, and $20 chips?

If your re-buy's are $20 ... can you just get more $5 chips if you like the majestics design and price point?
I had thought about that…either that or get $10 chips but I’d rather not go that route. I’m looking at 600 chips with 75x $5 and 25x $25 right now just to up the total dollar amount but at nickle dime friendly family poker nights I just don’t know if I’m really gonna need that large of a bank. Decisions decisions! Haha

Yeah ...... Go semi custom from brpropoker
I did
Oh, I really like that idea! I’ll for sure go check that out!

Yeah ...... Go semi custom from brpropoker
I did
So I have zero experience with plaques. Would these fit in the playing card spot of a briefcase style chip case? I looked up the dimensions and it looks like they are slightly larger than a deck of cards but I’m not sure. If so this for sure just fixed my problem other than being pricey! Haha

In your case I would probably skip out on the $25s and load up on $5s instead. Your game isn’t playing big enough for $20 chips.
This was my train of thought starting into this but have had multiple suggestions saying I needed a larger bank. Maybe I do need to step back and reconsider smaller chips and then building larger when needed. It’s not like I’m going custom and can‘t just order more when needed…seems the majestic chips have been around a while now with no end in sight. Thank you for this.

Get samples.

Nickel antes? What are your blinds?

When I hear nickel I assume blinds I'd .05/.10, and if you're buying in for $20 that's a deep 200 BB starting stack. From there you can calculate your total bank by how many buy ins the average player goes through in a night. Let's say 3 buy ins per player, so that's $60/player, and 8 players requires a $480 bank.

100 x .05 = $5
200 x .25 = $50
140 x 1 = $140
60 x 5 = $300

You don’t need to make the $20 a plaque…any chip that BRPro offers can be made to whatever denomination you like.
Pick the chip design, then the colors you like, and make the denominations that work for you.

We usually do $20 buy ins and nickle antes so a $25 chip is just awkward
$25 will work fine, you can colour up 5 x $5 chips from the biggest stack and give 4 x $5 for the rebuy and return 1 x $5 to the bank

Or just get a rack of $5 should be more than enough for your bank like the other have suggested

600 Chips Breakdown
100 x 5c
200 x 25c
200 x $1
100 x $5 or 80 x $5 + 20 x $25

It's likely is antes game instead of blind where preflop action start from SB instead and everyone but the button paid 2 antes.

As I am early in the chip collecting career myself, I know my tendencies that having a small set will allow me to invest less money up front and eventually budget enough to piece together a nicer set down the line should a nice deal ever come up. It will also give me a chance to see what denominations work for my game as we play it out. However, unlike many here, I don't have a consistent 9 player line up so 400 chips work fine for us.

We play mostly .10/.25 or .25/.25 NL with $1 and $5 being the workhorse chips. Having a barrel of $25 was more than enough as our games never got big enough to even use half of that.

400 Chips Breakdown
75 x 5c
100 x 25c
125 x $1
100 x $5
20 x $25

So I have zero experience with plaques. Would these fit in the playing card spot of a briefcase style chip case? I looked up the dimensions and it looks like they are slightly larger than a deck of cards but I’m not sure. If so this for sure just fixed my problem other than being pricey! Haha
No they don't fit in that spot in a briefcase case, but also realize that I have never used them in a 5¢/10¢ game either. Just get more $5 chips and you will be fine.

Get samples.

When I hear nickel I assume blinds I'd .05/.10, and if you're buying in for $20 that's a deep 200 BB starting stack. From there you can calculate your total bank by how many buy ins the average player goes through in a night. Let's say 3 buy ins per player, so that's $60/player, and 8 players requires a $480 bank.

100 x .05 = $5
200 x .25 = $50
140 x 1 = $140
60 x 5 = $300
We play mostly 7 card stud and 5 card draw so there are antes and not blinds for those games.

Load up on $5’s, and you can always just let
$20 bills play. If someone rebuys, they just give a $20 to a big stack for chips. The bill will almost never get into a pot.

That said, I love a plaque for this purpose.

We play mostly 7 card stud and 5 card draw so there are antes and not blinds for those games.
Nice I miss stud. The breakdown suggested was for no limit hold'em as that's what most play. Do you play fixed, spread, pot or no limit? Lately my group has been playing spread limit.

Nice I miss stud. The breakdown suggested was for no limit hold'em as that's what most play. Do you play fixed, spread, pot or no limit? Lately my group has been playing spread limit.
So this is a new venture with new players and most are very inexperienced so I am 100% sure things will stay fixed limit and cheap for awhile. Talking to them it seems most are comfortable with a $20 buyin and then nickle antes with something around a .25c max bet. I hope to get them comfortable enough to raise those stakes a little pretty soon but I would rather this be a friend/family/fellowship game rather than being purely about the money. We have played a couple times with chips for no money at all and they have enjoyed it but you can’t truly play poker unless you actually have a little skin in the game. There is a huge difference in calling a $2 bet when you’ve been given a stack of chips and calling a $2 bet when you PAID $20 to sit down to the table and you have made a few bad calls and are now down to your last $5…I know I’m preaching to the choir here on this forum but that’s a concept new players have a hard time grasping it seems.

I MISS the games we used to have in the late 90’s/early 2000’s before my old group slowly moved away or passed on. Those are definitely some of my most cherished memories sitting around with those guys and just laughing and drinking all night. The new group I am starting with are my children and their spouses(who are completely new to poker but love playing card games), my brother and his wife (she plays but he has only dabbled), and a few friends from way back (that haven’t ever played but want to or haven’t played in years). I’m just moved to the new area so I’m also searching for additional players but hope to get the core group comfortable before we bring in too much new blood.

I have some experience to share...

After lockdown I started a game with friends and coworkers that were either new to poker or recreational players (not gamblers). We started with .50/$1 fixed limit (.25/.50 blinds) hold'em with a $40 buy in for the night. There were some outlier nights ($30 loss, $35 loss), but on average people won/lost about $20. I imagine stud would be more expensive from the extra betting round though. I'd recommend starting with hold'em as it is the easiest for everyone learn.

Since then we've pretty much settled on .25-$5 spread limit (.25/.25 blinds) and average wins/losses are probably around $30, and a bit more if we play Omaha or pineapple or stud too.

This was my train of thought starting into this but have had multiple suggestions saying I needed a larger bank. Maybe I do need to step back and reconsider smaller chips and then building larger when needed. It’s not like I’m going custom and can‘t just order more when needed…seems the majestic chips have been around a while now with no end in sight. Thank you for this.
Your group has already been playing right? You'll have a better idea of the the bank you need than people on the forum. My 5c/10c game never even gets through all our $1s, let alone $5s.

Load up on $5’s, and you can always just let
$20 bills play. If someone rebuys, they just give a $20 to a big stack for chips. The bill will almost never get into a pot.

That said, I love a plaque for this purpose.
Always liked the idea of getting bills in play.

Majestic_Jeton.png
Does anyone know if these are ever restocked on apache? $4/ea is quite pricey, but 10 of this would be a sick complement to the set IMO. 43mm so they won't fit in the same rack as a 39mm chip.

I have some experience to share...

After lockdown I started a game with friends and coworkers that were either new to poker or recreational players (not gamblers). We started with .50/$1 fixed limit (.25/.50 blinds) hold'em with a $40 buy in for the night. There were some outlier nights ($30 loss, $35 loss), but on average people won/lost about $20. I imagine stud would be more expensive from the extra betting round though. I'd recommend starting with hold'em as it is the easiest for everyone learn.

Since then we've pretty much settled on .25-$5 spread limit (.25/.25 blinds) and average wins/losses are probably around $30, and a bit more if we play Omaha or pineapple or stud too.
I’m old school at heart and never really got into hold ‘em but I have played it. You are probably right, we should dive into that game more as players seem to love it…I’ve played some over the years at random games here and there and it’s the most recognized game today for sure. I’m probably out of touch and need to change my ways but I am known to be hard headed. Seems stud and draw games are dying which really makes me sad as they are the greatest in my humble opinion.

Your group has already been playing right? You'll have a better idea of the the bank you need than people on the forum. My 5c/10c game never even gets through all our $1s, let alone $5s.

View attachment 1109343
Does anyone know if these are ever restocked on apache? $4/ea is quite pricey, but 10 of this would be a sick complement to the set IMO. 43mm so they won't fit in the same rack as a 39mm chip.
We’ve played a few games with free chips so it’s really hard to gauge what will happen when actual money is at stake. That’s what I’ve been doing here is trying to work on a set that I can start with and add to later if needed. I usually go overboard with these things after over thinking though as I’d usually prefer to buy once instead of multiple times.

As far as getting bills in play, I just recently started playing with chips so this is very new to me. We always went and played with actual nickles, dimes, and quarters. It was not uncommon to see bills or even checks laying on the table when things got big late at night. Lordy those were the days!!!

View attachment 1109343
I’ve used $5’s in my 5¢/10¢ game twice. We do $20 max buy-ins, and we had around $400 in play. It’s usually $300 or less, and I don’t need the $5’s.

Those Majestic $20 jetons are so cool! That would be a perfect solution.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom