I Need Help Identifying These Chips (1 Viewer)

KingWithTheAxe

Two Pair
Reaction score
A gift from early 2000.
Bought from a hobby/enthusiast store in Dayton Ohio.
I would love to know if who manufactured these chips, and what they’re called.
Each weigh 9.5 grams and I was told they were “clay.”

Attachments

• E2D55226-E1A3-4507-A5BF-4C990AEEBE78.jpeg
    E2D55226-E1A3-4507-A5BF-4C990AEEBE78.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 5AA2692E-CA34-4F48-A8A4-755C4E54813B.jpeg
    5AA2692E-CA34-4F48-A8A4-755C4E54813B.jpeg
    199.6 KB · Views: 91
  • 75215935-D149-46D3-A515-8D3ACDFFB06E.jpeg
    75215935-D149-46D3-A515-8D3ACDFFB06E.jpeg
    188.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 7E032816-1919-4172-8C22-F516361DD1A6.jpeg
    7E032816-1919-4172-8C22-F516361DD1A6.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 79
  • 82D68AA6-B7A8-4B89-AB8E-BBD48DF010F5.jpeg
    82D68AA6-B7A8-4B89-AB8E-BBD48DF010F5.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 82
I was told they were “clay.”
They are to clay as Anakin was jedi.

They are nicer than a lot of the sub .50 options. Clay is over used and often a marketing gimmick.

They remind me of NexGen chips

Last edited:
Plastic with sticker labels and metal slugs in the core. Chances are very good that if they were bought 20+ years ago, the manufacturer/seller is long gone and the only way to find more would be a lucky eBay find.

as an experiment, could I snap one in half to get some answers on its makeup?

Would clay melt if exposed to high temp where plastic would smoke?

They do have a waxy feeling, potentially I’m mistaking that feeling of clay for plastic.

If anyone recognizes the website (rc4w.com)

He was a collector of odds and ends chips, and was the only site I ever found these chips on. (See screenshot)

Attachments

• 2BDDA34F-6254-4121-B839-F582A029FB0D.jpeg
    2BDDA34F-6254-4121-B839-F582A029FB0D.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 82
I wouldn't damage the chips, they are not clay, as in clay poker chips, but they are clay as in marketing clay - and the chips on the site next to them is also a hint.

I would love to know if who manufactured these chips, and what they’re called.
Each weigh 9.5 grams and I was told they were “clay.”
Made in Chinese plastics factory, and I call mine "awful" and "a waste of money".

Cheap injection-molded plastic with cheap labels; no metal slug insert. Not clay by any definition or implication of the word.

I would agree they look injection molded, it seems like the edges have some tail to them.

Do fine chips achieve their sharp edges through a milling process? My other guess would be a heat press and stamp process?

Secondarily, now follow me here- only playing devil’s advocate:
Don’t you guys typically assign a value higher to chips of fewer quantities? If there’s a ton of certain style or mold, those chips seem to trade for lesser value. Would not these chips, or any chips that cannot be identified because there have been so few brought to your attention- be more valuable than chips that seem to resurface in quantities of Thousands every other week from a different collector? Paulson is still making chips, right? Not selling directly to private market, but as time passes more Paulson chips will present themselves and dilute the previously scarce market.

If Degas, or Rembrandt, or Van Gogh arose from the dead and began cranking out new art work; it is simply unarguable that prior masterpiece artworks would decrease in intrinsic value. Greater supply, lesser demand.

I have no doubt these chips are trash haha- but I’ve held onto them- mostly because I’ve never seen anyone else with them!

I feel like I’m setting someone up to absolutely dunk on me here. Let the roast begin!

I actually bought barrel of those Paulson fantasy 1,000 because I thought they looked like a decent match to the plastic set I’ve got.

How does one differentiate plastic from clay? Again is there a way one can find out instantly from snapping one in half? Can you determine clay from plastic, any way other than just tactile feel ?

Do fine chips achieve their sharp edges through a milling process?
Yes. And true clay chips are first compression molded. But there are high end chips that have been injection molded as well, just not the ones you have.

Don’t you guys typically assign a value higher to chips of fewer quantities?
All other things being equal, sure. But there are a lot of those things...

Would not these chips, or any chips that cannot be identified because there have been so few brought to your attention- be more valuable than chips that seem to resurface in quantities of Thousands every other week from a different collector?
The only thing missing is wide demand. Maybe you could get (relative) top dollar from someone who has these and wants to add to their set, but I don't know anyone like that. :)

How does one differentiate plastic from clay? Again is there a way one can find out instantly from snapping one in half? Can you determine clay from plastic, any way other than just tactile feel ?
Just based on looks is a pretty good indicator, but experience is necessary.

If Degas, or Rembrandt, or Van Gogh arose from the dead and began cranking out new art work; it is simply unarguable that prior masterpiece artworks would decrease in intrinsic value. Greater supply, lesser demand.
Your premise is not objective, meaning it is fallacious, hence my objection or argument; second the conclusion is wrong as previous works of art would be provided more history and intrigue. Duplicates wouldn't lessen the original, have you had sweet tea in the north? I don't think less of less of sweet tea, I think less of the non foodies and yahoos I live around.

Don’t you guys typically assign a value higher to chips of fewer quantities?
Yes, but there are a bazillion plastic injected 'clay' chips, the color and configuration is as unique as Halloween toilet paper.

/roast off

They aren't bad chips, I would get a new sticker for the 50 and relabel them .25 and host games with them!

Figure I’ll shamelessly periodically bump this to see if I get lucky?
Not sure what you are looking for, it been pretty much answered multi times that they worth little or nothing by multi people here

Also, I believe those are China factory injection mold chip (I seem similar version of them before) which you still are able to conduct China Seller through Alibaba and ask them to "custom" make it. It will be around the ball point cost of 10c to 20c per chip before shipping depending on how much you ordering.

Last edited:
FWIW I’m pretty sure there were a second version of the Nextgen chips as noted above. They were probably my favorite cheap plastic chip. I bought a set of them about 15 or 20 years ago and I actually really liked them for a good and inexpensive tournament set. The ones I had were 312 with one spot color. If you search around here, you can find someone fairly recently who is asking about that kind

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom