Cash Game How much larger should the second denom be in a limit set? (1 Viewer)

ReallyGoodUsername

Royal Flush
Site Vendor
Reaction score
If I was going to do a .25/.25 limit set... what's the minimum comfortable (not absolute minimum) number of .25 I should have and what should the next denomination be?

The smallest store of value chip in my sets is 20x or 25x. I prefer 100x. So for a $0.25/$0.25 game a $25 chip.

Why? I don't want anyone ever betting with a store of value chip. The only chip ever seen in the pot is the betting chip. In this case a quarter. Sure as rain on a 4th of July parade, when the host puts a $5 chip in play as a store of value chip, ten minutes later someone puts a $5 chip in the pot to call a $1.25 bet.

Been there, done that and now I try not to do it again -=- DrStrange

If I was going to do a .25/.25 limit set... what's the minimum comfortable (not absolute minimum) number of .25 I should have and what should the next denomination be?
I'm assuming that using quarters, you'll actually be playing 50c/$1 limit (2-chip/4-chip, with a 25c small blind). At 25/25 or 25/50 betting limits, you don't have any small blind chips.

But yeah, 20x small chip for the big chip (so $5 large denomination for a 25c chip game). I try to have people make change outside the hand if needed to break down a big denom chip (to avoid change-making from the pot during a hand), but @DrStrange's 100x method works, too.

I like to have a minimum of one rack per player of small denomination chips. I wouldn't want to run a game or play with fewer than 50x per player.

The smallest store of value chip in my sets is 20x or 25x. I prefer 100x. So for a $0.25/$0.25 game a $25 chip.

Why? I don't want anyone ever betting with a store of value chip. The only chip ever seen in the pot is the betting chip. In this case a quarter. Sure as rain on a 4th of July parade, when the host puts a $5 chip in play as a store of value chip, ten minutes later someone puts a $5 chip in the pot to call a $1.25 bet.

Been there, done that and now I try not to do it again -=- DrStrange
Depends on if you plan on having 1000 betting chips or 2000. If only 1000, then I could see issues of breaking value chips if using a 100x.

my two limit sets have 1,900 workhorse chips and 1,200 respectively. The larger one has never had a store of value chip in play. The smaller one only needed a store of value chip once.

Much depends on the game being spread. I play 1-5 spread limit, so often a hand will take less than 20 chips per player. If I had been playing something like 4/8 limit, a player might commit 50+ chips into the pot on a contested hand.

Also, the fewer workhorse chips in the set, the more you want a 20x/25x workhorse chip. Expect a lot of trading if the set is really skinny.

My $4/8 limit uses $2 chips and $20 chips for value chips. I have 1400 $2 so the $20’s don’t get much play, I think I’ve only had a few barrels in play. I also have some $100 chips I could go to instead of but the $20 chip is too beautiful not to use!

When I put the $20’s in play I give them to the big stack and have that player give the rebuying player $2’s so that he isn’t making change with every bet.

8AFF3277-3E82-4593-AF49-9A9F106A4CCE.jpeg

I'm assuming that using quarters, you'll actually be playing 50c/$1 limit (2-chip/4-chip, with a 25c small blind). At 25/25 or 25/50 betting limits, you don't have any small blind chips.

Yeah I would also like a clarification on the intended structure, but for 2-/4-chip (and 3-/6-chip for that matter) limits I think a rack per player is good and then at least a full rack of a value store chip.

I think 20x is popular on PCF because it's simple barrel for a chip trade, but I see the argument for bigger multiples. However 100x is extreme unless you have enough workhorse chips for 2 racks per player. But at that point a barrel or two would probably do.

So 900 quarters plus 100 fives banks 725. Or about 29 buy ins of 25, which is a good buy in for .50/1.

If you made the value store a 10, then it's two barrels per chip. Then you could bank 1225 with the above formula.

But yeah I think 3-4 barrels per player is the bare minimum, a rack per player is better, and two racks per player make the game deep :).

Make sure there are enough value-store chips to cover two extra buy ins per player.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom