How does a group buy work (1 Viewer)

Elsurfista19

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I keep seeing these posts about group buys but I’m not clear on how it works. I’m specifically talking about the alibaba ones. It’s got like a minimum of 10000 chips or so. Does everyone have to agree on one design for all 10000 chips or can everyone make their own design and he just ships them once they hit 10000.

Often, one person takes care of receiving the entire order and then reshipping to the rest of the group.

The order minimums and shipping arrangements generally depend on the vendor.

I’ve not participated in any of the Ali buys, so am not sure how those are structured.

Short answer: everyone brings their own design

Long answer: The situation with the Alibaba chips is that the seller is a commercial seller used to dealing with larger orders. They offer price breaks at larger aggregate quantities from multiple sets per order. Moreover there are shipping efficiencies with freight shipping. So the cheapest prices on these chips occur after a group assembles orders of over 10,000 total chips. The exciting feature of these chips is that they are fully customizable. So the participants of the group buys bring their own designs or piggyback off someone else’s. Several have been made available to the public or you can hire a designer within the community. So if you find a group buy running, or run one yourself, you would design your own personal 800 chip set for example and everyone else would design theirs. Some sets are so popular, like the New China Club design, that they ran entire group buy just for people that wanted those chips. But that was more unique than the other group buys happening.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...ramics-master-consolidated-info-thread.65544/

Short answer: everyone brings their own design

Long answer: The situation with the Alibaba chips is that the seller is a commercial seller used to dealing with larger orders. They offer price breaks at larger aggregate quantities from multiple sets per order. Moreover there are shipping efficiencies with freight shipping. So the cheapest prices on these chips occur after a group assembles orders of over 10,000 total chips. The exciting feature of these chips is that they are fully customizable. So the participants of the group buys bring their own designs or piggyback off someone else’s. Several have been made available to the public or you can hire a designer within the community. So if you find a group buy running, or run one yourself, you would design your own personal 800 chip set for example and everyone else would design theirs. Some sets are so popular, like the New China Club design, that they ran entire group buy just for people that wanted those chips. But that was more unique than the other group buys happening.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...ramics-master-consolidated-info-thread.65544/
Ok that makes a lot of sense thanks for clarifying

I participated with some great folks recently that are helping with everything . After submitting the design with help of Pinsol13 with artwork the mock ups were done in less than 48 hours....with the full over complete on confirmation just a few days later. What is required from you is a little bit of trust in the individuals running the group by and good faith.

Each person could submit their own custom designs.... Minimum 25chips per denom/colour in quantities of 25 chips.
The total order equals to the group by not the individual sets....at least that was the deal in my order.
Shipped to the USA for ~0.28cents per chip..... Can't beat that for customs.

So good to hear, I thought the individual/s running the GB created a design they want and it was up to the group if they liked it and would place their orders. I’m way behind then I didn’t know I can create me own design. And now want to know if I can duplicate the cash game from previous GB since I really liked that one.

So good to hear, I thought the individual/s running the GB created a design they want and it was up to the group if they liked it and would place their orders. I’m way behind then I didn’t know I can create me own design. And now want to know if I can duplicate the cash game from previous GB since I really liked that one.

I would suggest contacting the owner of the chips to ask permission. The artwork is still original to the creators. I agree that design is a good one. There are many of this import customs that are turning out great.

So good to hear, I thought the individual/s running the GB created a design they want and it was up to the group if they liked it and would place their orders. I’m way behind then I didn’t know I can create me own design.
It depends on the specific parameters of a given group buy. Some are single-design only, others allow limited customizations, and others are true multiple-design offerings.

pcf meme.png

I keep seeing these posts about group buys but I’m not clear on how it works. I’m specifically talking about the alibaba ones. It’s got like a minimum of 10000 chips or so. Does everyone have to agree on one design for all 10000 chips or can everyone make their own design and he just ships them once they hit 10000.
I’m glad you asked this. I was wondering the same thing. You just bet me to the question.

More likely with the Alibaba providers, their chip minimums refer to total chips of all designs and denoms.

With premium providers like Abbiati and Matsui, the chip minimums are usually per denomination in order to avoid excessive art fees that would substantially increase the final unit cost.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom