Home Game Small Bet/Big Bet sizing (2 Viewers)

carza

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hello!

Getting a home game going where we play a lot of limit games and limit circus games. We're just in it for fun and keeping the antes/blinds small.

5¢ antes for most things and 5¢/10¢ for blinds.

My chip denoms are 5¢, 25¢, $1 and to limit the need for so many nickels (yes I know I'll still need a bunch, we have a lot of limpers)

For Limit games ,Is there any issue that could arise in making the Small Bet 10¢ and the Big Bet 25¢?

Right now I'm gaming it out for a 5¢ bring in, 10¢ small bet, 25¢ big bet, rather than a 20¢ big bet. To get the quarters in play.

I know traditionally the big bet is 2x the small bet, but I was wondering if it would matter jumping to 25¢.

Antes and a bring in...you're playing stud???!!! I forced stud (and razz) into the rotation of my last home and it was super fun (for me only apparently).

Are you familiar how limit plays compared to no limit, and getting "comparable stakes" so your players are playing with the same amount of money each night?

A standard discussed here is the limit big bet should be about 8x your usual no limit big blind. So if my friends and I usually play .05/.10 no limit, our limit stakes would be .50/$1:

- .10 antes and .25 bring in or .25 small blind and .50 big blind

- .50 small bet

- $1 big bet (this is 10x the no limit BB but close enough).

This is how we played with my set that has .05, .25 and $1 denominations and it worked well. I asked people to bring $40 for the night and on average people won or lost about $20 and no one lost their entire stack.

So if your ante is .05, I'd take my stakes above, cut them in half (use .10 small blind and .25 big blinds) and expect players to win/lose about $10 each night (maybe more I'd you play some crazy circus games).

Last edited:
Antes and a bring in...you're playing stud???!!! I forced stud (and razz) into the rotation of my last home and it was super fun (for me only apparently).

Are you familiar how limit plays compared to no limit, and getting "comparable stakes" so your players are playing with the same amount of money each night?

A standard discussed here is the limit big bet should be about 8x your usual no limit big blind. So if my friends and I usually play .05/.10 no limit, our limit stakes would be .50/$1:

- .10 antes and .25 bring in or .25 small blind and .50 big blind

- .50 small bet

- $1 big bet (this is 10x the no limit BB but close enough).

This is how we played with my set that has .05, .25 and $1 denominations and it worked well. I asked people to bring $40 for the night and on average people won or lost about $20 and no one lost their entire stack.

So if your ante is .05, I'd take my stakes above, cut them in half (use .10 small blind and .25 big blinds) and expect players to win/lose about $10 each night (maybe more I'd you play some crazy circus games).
Yes trying to do an mix of both! A lot of the circus games/wild card games are stud based so keeping that same format.

When we play a game with small/big blind I'm planing on no antes and just using the 5/10 cent for blinds.

But if we play a stud based game, or sometimes some weird draw type circus fame an ante comes in.

Bring in stays for the stud games. I including razz. I really like the quarter to be the big bet size, so I suppose in stuck with my ante/bet sizing for limit.

I play with a lot of limpers and I don't want them to go broke come the limit games by calling to showdown everytime.

Going to have to preach that a single raise/call each round of stud/razz is gonna cost

Ante 5¢+ complete 10¢ + 4th st 10¢ + 5th st 25¢ + 6th st 25¢ + river 25¢ = $1. One round of stud calling to the river on crap hands is going to blast away $5/6. Then again, maybe they win one and are even. Maybe it's not as bad as I thought.

you could play it, .05 / .10 with a .25c bring in

So the way a bring in plays is both blinds have to put in more money, its most common when playing a 1/3 NLH game.

Blinds would 1 sb and 3 bb, then to call or to come into the pot / action you have to 'call' 5, when it gets back to the sb and bb they also have to complete the bet to stay in the pot.

So the way a bring in plays is both blinds have to put in more money, its most common when playing a 1/3 NLH game.

Blinds would 1 sb and 3 bb, then to call or to come into the pot / action you have to 'call' 5, when it gets back to the sb and bb they also have to complete the bet to stay in the pot.
Ohhhh I'm referring to the bring in in stud.

Ante 5¢+ complete 10¢ + 4th st 10¢ + 5th st 25¢ + 6th st 25¢ + river 25¢
This looks good, you could change up the bets (increase them) if you wanted to and then play Tahoe Pitch and Roll, which is max 7, but reduces the amount of betting. You could also play the last card UP which also helps reduce the loss as people can make out hands better, so less calling at showdown.

Tahoe Pitch and Roll would have you bring out 4th and 5th street as 1, so everyone gets 4th, then you keep dealing till everyone gets 5th.

ante .05
bring in .10 - .25
4th / 5th - .25
6th - .25 (or .50)
7th - .50

Hello!

Getting a home game going where we play a lot of limit games and limit circus games. We're just in it for fun and keeping the antes/blinds small.

5¢ antes for most things and 5¢/10¢ for blinds.

My chip denoms are 5¢, 25¢, $1 and to limit the need for so many nickels (yes I know I'll still need a bunch, we have a lot of limpers)

For Limit games ,Is there any issue that could arise in making the Small Bet 10¢ and the Big Bet 25¢?

Right now I'm gaming it out for a 5¢ bring in, 10¢ small bet, 25¢ big bet, rather than a 20¢ big bet. To get the quarters in play.

I know traditionally the big bet is 2x the small bet, but I was wondering if it would matter jumping to 25¢.
My rule of thumb mixing limit with no limit is that the lower limit should be about 2x the big blind in big bet games to keep the risk levels similar.

I think you should actually consider 5¢ ante, 10¢ bring in with 25¢/50¢ limits for stud games. And instead to a 10¢ small blind on limit button games with 25¢/50¢ limits

My rule of thumb mixing limit with no limit is that the lower limit should be about 2x the big blind in big bet games to keep the risk levels similar.

I think you should actually consider 5¢ ante, 10¢ bring in with 25¢/50¢ limits for stud games. And instead to a 10¢ small blind on limit button games with 25¢/50¢ limits
So, limit button games the Small Blind 10 and Big blind 20?

Since I'm new to a lot of this, it's mainly the stud variants that have an ante and bring in, and do the draw games / community games typically have small blind/big blind?

So, limit button games the Small Blind 10 and Big blind 20?

Since I'm new to a lot of this, it's mainly the stud variants that have an ante and bring in, and do the draw games / community games typically have small blind/big blind?
Yes, if you did that then you would be playing limits of 20¢/40¢, since the "lower limit" always equals the BB in limit games, and the "higher limit" is always 2x that.

But I see now, I didn't complete my thought in my last post. I was going to go on to say that 25¢/50¢ limits are close enough if that is what suits your chipset. Keep some nickels in play for paying antes and bring ins and to keep your no limit games having 5¢-10¢ blinds.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom