Tourney Highest denom needed for a T25 or T100 game? (1 Viewer)

Frednizer

Pair
Reaction score
I am shopping for a tournament set for my game and have recently dipped my toes into this forum. I've found a lot of great threads but what do you guys normally go up to denomination wise?

I'm currently looking at a set that the highest chip is only 5000. What do you guys suggest?

I am shopping for a tournament set for my game and have recently dipped my toes into this forum. I've found a lot of great threads but what do you guys normally go up to denomination wise?

I'm currently looking at a set that the highest chip is only 5000. What do you guys suggest?
I think the biggest question is how many entries do you expect? For most home 2-3 table tournaments, I think T5000 is a good high chip for base T25 structures. Even if you are doing T20K starting stacks a barrel (20) of T25K chips would buy up 25 entries completely, and your tournaments will just never reach the point where you would need that sort of color-up.

I think a good 1000-chip breakdown for a 3-table tournament would be 240/240/120/240/160 of T25/100/500/1000/5000 .

This enables you to do 30 stacks of 8/8/4/7 for T10K start with extra T1000 and T5000 chips available for deeper stacks/color ups/re-entry.
Alternatively, this would also be a good breakdown for 20 stacks of 12/12/5/6 if you like more chips in starting stacks and have fewer players..

But either way, this is just to illustrate that T25K are overkill in small-medium base T25 setups, so I wouldn't worry about a set maxing out at T5000 for the top denomination, unless your tournaments are significantly larger than this (say at least 40-50 entries+)

Now obviously if you go with higher bases, (T100, or my favorite T500) then you would obviously put T25K chips on your radar.

5k easily. Unless you’re doing 4 tables or more and/or some crazy deep stack add-on rebuy format you shouldn’t need 25ks. I’m pretty sure most of the PCFers who own 25k chips have them just because they love chips and they want more.

I really appreciate the in depth look at chip quantities. It’s the one thing I’ve been struggling over.

Looks like 5k is perfect then, thank you guys. Now to decide on the chips haha

Just by way of illustration, I remember a T25 30,000k tournament with 119 runners. The biggest chip this place had was a 10k. I remember this tournament because I won the thing. When we were heads up and I had two racks of 10ks in front of me and had to push in half a stack to make a blind, it got annoying - yeah, that tournament could have used some 25k chips. But that tournament had over 3 million in chips on the table.

Re. T100:
I use T25Ks in my T100 set, and love it. :D I have really deep tournaments though.
100K or 150K start stacks and first level BB is 300, start stacks have 2 25Ks in them. Chipping up the T1Ks adds more T25Ks, as well as through addons (40-70% adds them each game) and occasional re-buys.

Final stages of the tournament uses T5Ks and T25Ks (80%-20% distribution approx).
In our 8p tournament we usually have around 1M chips in play, so the T25Ks definitely get some usage.

But for T25 based sets, T5Ks is sufficient.

It depends on the total chip count. In my experience, adding a chip that's worth more than 1/20 of the total chip count is unnecessary, at around 1/30 they start becoming useful and at 1/40 they start becoming necessary.

To convert these numbers for T5000 chips, if the chip count is less than 100k the T5k are pointless, around 150k they start making sense, more than 200k and they're necessary (unless you want heads up to be with >200 T1k chips).

I think a good 1000-chip breakdown for a 3-table tournament would be 240/240/120/240/160 of T25/100/500/1000/5000 .

This enables you to do 30 stacks of 8/8/4/7 for T10K start with extra T1000 and T5000 chips available for deeper stacks/color ups/re-entry.
Alternatively, this would also be a good breakdown for 20 stacks of 12/12/5/6 if you like more chips in starting stacks and have fewer players..

But either way, this is just to illustrate that T25K are overkill in small-medium base T25 setups, so I wouldn't worry about a set maxing out at T5000 for the top denomination, unless your tournaments are significantly larger than this (say at least 40-50 entries+)

Now obviously if you go with higher bases, (T100, or my favorite T500) then you would obviously put T25K chips on your radar.
^ Great summary and advice.

If you go with T100 as the lowest denom, then I'd probably add another denomination, either a T25k, (which is the standard WSOP Main Event denomination) or alternatively, go with some T10k chips + just a few T50k chips.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom