Cash Game Help pick mixed limit game rotation (1 Viewer)

Rhodeman77

Straight Flush
Reaction score
So after I got back from the Madness in MI Meetup @detroitdad I was telling several of my locals about all the different games we played. So now some of the want to have a low stakes ($2/4 limit) mixed game.

They need to be eased into this though. Some of them used to play HORSE and suggested that which I shot down out of not wanting to die of boredom playing Hold’em, Razz, and Stud at $2/4.

I suggested few alternative games to spice up the mix while still being games they should have some basic understanding too and that can be used to build upon to eventually get to some of the more complex games.

Here is what I suggested:
1. Super Hold’em
2. Omaha (hi only)
3. Big O
4. Pitch and roll stud 8
5. 2-7 triple draw

Any games you think I should replace?

I don’t want to go above 5 games so we get a few orbits of each game.

Both Dramaha and Scrotum8 play well at fixed-limit. Either would be better than SuperHold'em (not particularly good limit game) or Omaha Hi-only imo. Badugi is another decent fixed-limit game.

SOHE is a game I want, but wasn’t sure if 3 split pot games was too many.

@Forty4 i don’t know if they are ready for badugi mixed games yet. And playing Badugi by itself isn’t that great IMO.

Dramaha is definitely a graduate level game for this crew!

Dropping super Hold’em for SOHE wouldn’t be an issue I think.

I love Dramaha and Big O, they’d be my picks. 2-7 is fun. I enjoy stud games.

Dramaha is almost easier for the players that don’t have a clue how hi/lo works and is a load of fun. Probably how SOHE might be an easier game to the same players.

So now some of the want to have a low stakes ($2/4 limit) mixed game.

I think your group will be horribly bored at 2/4 limit. Those stakes don't play anywhere near how big your games do. I would start out at 3/6 and go from there.

Both Dramaha and Scrotum8 play well at fixed-limit. Either would be better than SuperHold'em (not particularly good limit game) or Omaha Hi-only imo. Badugi is another decent fixed-limit game.

I agree with Dave. Replace Super Holdem with one of the two games. If those seem to crazy for your group, what about SOHE? kind of a NLHE variant lol.

If you put Draw2maha on the mix (7 player game), then I might make the trip down :)

I was thinking. Your group "LOVES" applying pressure. They will not be able to do this in a limit game. A mixed game won't work with the current stakes/buy in that you have. I don't think it would be sustainable. What about going with one of the options below.

Pot Limit

.25/.50 with a 100 max
.50/1 with a 150 max
1/1 with a 150 max

You could also put a cap on the betting that you can't lose more than 100 in a hand? I don't like it, but it is a way to help litigate losses initially?

@honkydevil -- What are the rules for Hi-Dugi as played in Las Vegas? I'm aware that's it's popular in some of the mixed game line-ups.
We were playing 4 handed so we were allowed to discard and draw as many cards as you want. What other rules could you change? Or just that?

We were playing 4 handed so we were allowed to discard and draw as many cards as you want. What other rules could you change? Or just that?
I'm not suggesting changes, just need to understand the game so that I can make a card. Apparently there are a few different games with the same name. Here's what I think it is:

5-card draw (single or triple draw?)
Split pot, high poker hand and best Badugi hand

What is the usual limit for discarding and drawing cards?
Can the best Badugi hand have 3 cards if there are no 4-card Badugis at showdown (usual Badugi rules)?

How does this mix look:

91036221-56D6-45E3-9C1A-89A7F73CF383.jpeg
8D74E0DC-E25F-49C4-B4FE-4E1A7D55A0E6.jpeg
63600374-9EF2-461B-8B61-A43DD9FC2B8D.jpeg
A0A4134A-91F6-4341-AC32-40B3EC5E6D3D.jpeg
F57412DE-1F02-42A8-8ACC-29BE3F308371.jpeg

So I send out a mass text with the above game cards attached and get this reply from the guy that asked me to have this game in the first place. He pretty much wants to play HORSE only. There is no chance I’m spending my Saturday night playing $2/4 HORSE!!!

This is the battle I’m facing. I purposely didn’t pick any draw or Badugi hybrid games. I chose Hold’em/Omaha based games and triple draw as it is pretty well know.

505EE78A-1D95-41FC-B88D-18563CC8C9F4.png

So I send out a mass text with the above game cards attached and get this reply from the guy that asked me to have this game in the first place. He pretty much wants to play HORSE only. There is no chance I’m spending my Saturday night playing $2/4 HORSE!!!

This is the battle I’m facing. I purposely didn’t pick any draw or Badugi hybrid games. I chose Hold’em/Omaha based games and triple draw as it is pretty well know.

View attachment 300487
Poker players will complain about everything

Well, if that's what he/they want, then I'd just go with this lineup:

Omaha Hi/Lo
Stud 8
2-7 Triple-Draw
SOHE

Two split-pot games, and two not. Two community board card games, and two not. That lineup should please everybody, and you have three of the five horse games in there (sorta). No Razz, Stud, or straight Hold'em, and no really 'new' games they'd have to learn (and/or feel like they're at a disadvantage).

Everyone else seems to be happy/excited to try some new games at a low price point. 2 people texted that they are upset they can’t make it because they are out of town.

He is just a cranky guy I guess.

Well, if that's what he/they want, then I'd just go with this lineup:

Omaha Hi/Lo
Stud 8
2-7 Triple-Draw
SOHE

Two split-pot games, and two not. Two community board card games, and two not. That lineup should please everybody, and you have three of the five horse games in there (sorta). No Razz, Stud, or straight Hold'em, and no really 'new' games they'd have to learn (and/or feel like they're at a disadvantage).

This looks like a good "break the ice" rotation. From there you could add/substitute one or two games each session.

It's better than people who won't play anything but hold'em because they won't play a game that they haven't played before. Huh? It's not as if they were born knowing how to play hold'em -- or were they?

I'm not suggesting changes, just need to understand the game so that I can make a card. Apparently there are a few different games with the same name. Here's what I think it is:

5-card draw (single or triple draw?)
Split pot, high poker hand and best Badugi hand

What is the usual limit for discarding and drawing cards?
Can the best Badugi hand have 3 cards if there are no 4-card Badugis at showdown (usual Badugi rules)?
My understanding is that the draw portion doesn't require a 4-card badugi to play (any 4 beats any tri), and that they play it where you want you want the highest badugi (hi-dugi), not the lowest. I believe that pairs don't count against you so 4 aces would be the nuts, AAA with the offsuit king would be 2nd nuts, etc. I believe this is so there can be more scoop opportunities with more coordination to the omaha side. I was told this 2nd hand though, I haven't actually played this in vegas where it's spread I believe at the Aria.

They also play a variant called 49 dramaha, where you try to get the most pips on your cards on the draw side. A-T count for their numerical count, face cards are zero. So TTTT9 is the nuts (49 total pips).

[EDIT: there's some disagreement in my crew over whether aces play as a high card on the hi-dugi side -- that the goal is to make the "worst badugi." So KKKK may be the nuts, KKK w/ offsuit queen second nuts.]

Last edited:
Our list:

Hold'em - rarely, if ever selected
Pinapple/8 - rarely, if ever selected
Omaha/8
Big Mitt (five card O/8)
2-7 Triple Draw
A-5 Triple Draw
7-Stud
7-Stud/8
Sassy - 6 card stud - dealt 4, shuck one, roll one, with an optional 2 card (only) draw on the end - usually the biggest pots of the night - also the slowest game to play
Razz
Razz 2-7 (limit KC lowball)
Razzdugi
Archie (5 card Draw HiLo - 8 or better for low and 9's or better for high)
Badugi
Badacey
Badeucey
Omadraw
Omadraw 2-7

We play these 5/10 and 10/20 limit.
We have a rule that the same game cannot be called consecutively.

The next time I run a limit game it’s going to have to be $4/8 since I just bought 600 more Mario Gras $2 chips bringing my total set to 1400 $2’s and 200 $20’s.

It will work great for 7 player mixed game with $400 (2 racks) starting buy-in. Rebuys and add-one in $20’s.

In our 5/10 game the usual buy-in is $200-$300 and in the 10/20 it is $400-$500.
There are always those that buy in for less or more, but the players that buyin for less are generally the ones that rebuy several times.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom