Help identifying chips and question about chip history (1 Viewer)

Enshin

High Hand
Reaction score
Hi All,

Another member posted the below image of a chipset I thought was very cool, but I couldn't find any additional information out about them. I'm guessing it's a CPC A mold custom set, but not sure. If any of you know I'd be interested to learn more about them.
A mold future wave.jpg

Also, I looked through the chip database and ran several searches, but is there a place on PCF where you can find most of any given chips history?

In particular I wanted to find out more about the World Top Hat and Cane set that Paulson produced.

I'm interested to find out things like:
Year produced and when it finished
Who designed it
How big was the run
Any other information that might be out there about it.
WTHC_example.jpg

Does Paulson have pages with this kind of information about their chip runs out there? Thanks.

I wanted to find out more about the World Top Hat and Cane set that Paulson produced.

Who designed it
How big was the run
View attachment 1087812
Only two corporate entities have direct knowledge of those answers: Gaming Partners International (manufacturer of the chips) and Trademark Poker (distributors of the chips).

That being said, here are some best guess answers to your questions:

- initially manufactured in 2005 (and possibly as late as 2010 or so)
- inlay design by @Johnny5, a PCF member
- 100,000 chips on first run (no data on later runs, if any -- best guess is 200k total)
- manufactured on Paulson's card pip mold using shaped inlays with glossy lamination
- an aftermarket hot-stamped white .25 chip was later available from Apache Poker Chips
-- GPI ceased selling card pip mold chips to distributors in 2013.

Thanks for the info and background on them, BG. Very helpful.

Another member posted the below image of a chipset I thought was very cool, but I couldn't find any additional information out about them. I'm guessing it's a CPC A mold custom set, but not sure. If any of you know I'd be interested to learn more about them.

I remember seeing those Miami themed custom A-molds when I first joined PCF. I always thought it was pretty cool set. Designed by @Barberp . He could give you more info about them.

I remember back on Chiptalk during the WTHC design phase, we were able to watch the inlay design in progress. @Johnny5 would post regular updates on the design.
It was fun to watch…too bad all that is lost.
Was Chiptalk a long gone forum?

Those Miami themed chips were mine! Appreciate the tag. I designed those a few years before I found pcf. Cpc a mold and every chip had a fluorescent glow to them. I miss those. There was a green 25 as well that isn't pictured.

Wow, only between 100-200K WTHC chips made? It's rarer than I thought.

I bet there's several times that with the CDI98 series alone.
I'd be very surprised if any of the Trademark orders (Classics, CdIC, NPS, WTHC, Pharaoh's) were more than 100k-200k total chips each.

I also seriously doubt that any of the older THC mold fantasy chips were made in larger than five-digit quantities. I'd guess less than 20k for most.

Only two corporate entities have direct knowledge of those answers: Gaming Partners International (manufacturer of the chips) and Trademark Poker (distributors of the chips).

That being said, here are some best guess answers to your questions:

- initially manufactured in 2005 (and possibly as late as 2010 or so)
- inlay design by @Johnny5, a PCF member
- 100,000 chips on first run (no data on later runs, if any -- best guess is 200k total)
- manufactured on Paulson's card pip mold using shaped inlays with glossy lamination
- an aftermarket hot-stamped white .25 chip was later available from Apache Poker Chips
-- GPI ceased selling card pip mold chips to distributors in 2013.
Actually I did NOT design this particular inlay & I don't recall who did.
I'd be very surprised if any of the Trademark orders (Classics, CdIC, NPS, WTHC, Pharaoh's) were more than 100k-200k total chips each.

I also seriously doubt that any of the older THC mold fantasy chips were made in larger than five-digit quantities. I'd guess less than 20k for most.
I'm quite sure the Pharaoh's sold WAY more than 200K chips. I'm not sure, but I feel like the original order may have been in the 500K range and I know there were reorders. When the China Clay version was produced, there was some estimate that the Paulson version had sold in the range of 2million chips. Not sure how accurate that number is though...

Real popular during the poker boom and into the beginning of the last decade. A huge amount of chip info was lost in it's demise, but a bunch has been recreated here.
Has anyone tried looking on the WayBack machine to see if any of it was archived?

Has anyone tried looking on the WayBack machine to see if any of it was archived?
I've looked on various occasions. What is there is the home page at that time, so you can see the ads, the most recent thread titles, who's online, etc...
But clicking a link provides no content. A shame, really.

I'd somehow doubt that I, as a single collector, could own 3-6% of the entire produced inventory of CDI98, considering they had up to 7 years of production and several venues for sales. Perhaps they never got into the low millions for production, but I wouldn't be surprised at a half-million+ estimate. About 1/3 to 1/2 my collections were chance finds, and I've seen eBay sales for quite large collections at reasonable prices even as recently as 4 years ago.

In particular I wanted to find out more about the World Top Hat and Cane set that Paulson produced.

Who designed it
How big was the run

The original designer is a member here and he now owns the design outright. He has an online store and for the life of me I can't find his post from this year.

Who designed it
How big was the run

The original designer is a member here and he now owns the design outright. He has an online store and for the life of me I can't find his post from this year.
It was in one of his vendor threads, but there were a number of posts that were less than complimentary, so I think he closed the thread, maybe had some posts deleted? Not sure.

Edit: he also made reference to it in a couple posts in this thread:
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/greetings-from-sweden.104734/#post-2164148

Last edited:
There ya go!
@MrChip should have all those answers

Indeed, I am the one who designed the inlays for these. Attached is a photo of the contract I signed, allowing the inlay design to be used by TMP until December 31, 2020.

I can't remember the numbers produced unfortunately. We do have backup harddrives of everything, somewhere, containing all e-mails sent and received over the years. If we ever dig those out of our storage room I can update with more details.

contract.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom