Faux Clay or... (1 Viewer)

JeepologyOffroad

Royal Flush
Site Vendor
Reaction score
So I prefer to play deeper stack tournaments. Usually have 2 full tables, sometimes more, but that is the average. Cash games happen, but they are a rarity and usually just .50/$1 or $1/$2 single table. Always said I was going to upgrade chips, but it became one of those things that always got pushed to the back of my mind. Finally taking the plunge and getting rid of the dice chips and I can already tell I'm going to be hooked. I have some CC samples as well as a larger sample pack with other varieties on the way from a member here.

Budget I'd like to be around $500 for now. Although, knowing me, once I dive into something I tend to go all in. Been eyeing a set of 1000 or so of the new Royal 43mm from Apache. Then I came across a set of 2k+ faux clay chips. I've never handled faux clay and of course they are no longer produced so it would be a blind buy. Can anyone comment on faux clay vs something like the Majestic CC? Trying to find out whether or not I'd be disappointed if I went with the faux clay. I actually really like solids so that's no big factor. Plus it's well over double the chips for exactly half the cost which would be nice to have enough to host a large game here and there.

Or maybe I'll just have to do both. Use the faux clay for tourney and go with a smaller quantity of the nicer Royal CC for cash games and maybe smaller 6 man tourneys.

Looking for opinions and thoughts from both lovers and haters of faux clay (can't say I've seen many haters which is why I may just blind buy)

Wow that was long winded.

Faux clay vs CC like Majestic - considering a blind buy of a larger set of faux clay lol

I can't comment on faux clays vs China clays, but you should definitely not use the same chips for cash and for tourneys. A high denom tourney chip "somehow" finding it's way into the cash game will be a huge mess for the bank.

The value of Faux Clays are their cost per quality. They were/are cheaper than slugged garbage and much better quality which made them popular.

With your budget you could probably do better than Faux Clay and be happier with china clays that will have labels. Look up some tournament structure/breakdown suggestions on these forums. You probably need less chips than you expect for tournaments. $500 goes a long way for china clays, especially if you are patient and wait for classified ads of people trying to unload them.

But yes I would agree with the above and say you want different chips for cash and tournament. If you are hosting 1/2 cash games security should be a concern for your game as well. Faux clays as a cheaper tournament set with china clays as a cash set is an option as well.

I can send you a free faux clay chip if you want to get your hands on one.

Appreciate the tips. Still undecided on direction. More samples coming in tomorrow so hopefully that helps.

With 2,000 Faux Clay's you could probably make both a cash and tournament set.
IMG_20190725_142653659.jpg

I’m leaning towards some of the nicer china clays, but may still pick up the faux clays as well. Why? I have no clue, but they are appealing to me. Might just be that solids are wearing on me.

If you can see yourself getting “hooked”, I would suggest buying exactly what you want right away rather than starting with the faux/China clay and quickly escalating to Paulsons. Will save you more money in the long run and it’s something I wish I would have done. I would also look up cash/tourney breakdown threads here as I made the mistake of not doing this and purchased some really dumb breakdowns at the beginning. Hopefully you can learn from some of my mistakes!

Anyone know if these Unicorns pretty much have the same feel as faux clays?

IMG_3060.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom