Tourney Do you use time cards (1 Viewer)

Do you use time cards in your home tourneys

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • That’s dumb for home games :)

Votes: 8 53.3%

• Total voters

shorticus

4 of a Kind
Tourney Director
Supporter
Reaction score
I’m just curious to know if you all ever use time cards in home games. If so, let’s “showcase” (following @Tommy in his use of showcase over the other word :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: ) them here so we can see what they look like.

Also, how they work in your game.

I’m just curious to know if you all ever use time cards in home games. If so, let’s “showcase” (following @Tommy in his use of showcase over the other word :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: ) them here so we can see what they look like.

Also, how they work in your game.
In order to use time cards you would also need to start a timer for every person that's to act, right? Not sure how that would work in a home game without a professional dealer and a stopwatch.

I've never really had a problem with players taking too long so we've never needed a timer or time cards for actions. Some people may pay attention to their phone or the TV (if it's on in the background), but a simple "It's on you" and they will act. Obviously, it can be annoying to have to say that to the same person multiple times a night, but it's not terrible. That's my only real issue with taking a lot of time.

As far as if a player has a big decision to make for a lot of chips, I'll let them sit and think for a while if they need to. I don't like limiting the time on a big decision, but again, I've never had this problem with the players I play with. Longest tank I've ever seen in a live game was maybe 3 minutes max if that (which can feel like an eternity if you are not in the hand and just sitting there waiting), but nothing that would require time cards.

That being said, let's see some cool time cards that people have!

This is way more effective than any time card

31mc5SLsd6L._AC_SY580_.jpg

I've never really had a problem with players taking too long so we've never needed a timer or time cards for actions. Some people may pay attention to their phone or the TV (if it's on in the background), but a simple "It's on you" and they will act. Obviously, it can be annoying to have to say that to the same person multiple times a night, but it's not terrible. That's my only real issue with taking a lot of time.

As far as if a player has a big decision to make for a lot of chips, I'll let them sit and think for a while if they need to. I don't like limiting the time on a big decision, but again, I've never had this problem with the players I play with. Longest tank I've ever seen in a live game was maybe 3 minutes max if that (which can feel like an eternity if you are not in the hand and just sitting there waiting), but nothing that would require time cards.

That being said, let's see some cool time cards that people have!
Hi
I am new here but not new to home games. I agreed with the above, distraction or confusion is the only reason a player takes a little longer sometimes. We have never felt that someone has been "tanking" for an extraordinary amount of time. There are some decisions that require a little more time but otherwise its pretty smooth.

Are some players taking too long in some of your home games?
Is alcohol involved? : )

Hi
I am new here but not new to home games. I agreed with the above, distraction or confusion is the only reason a player takes a little longer sometimes. We have never felt that someone has been "tanking" for an extraordinary amount of time. There are some decisions that require a little more time but otherwise its pretty smooth.

Are some players taking too long in some of your home games?
Is alcohol involved? : )
Lol! Time is not a concern at all. My home game is pretty laid back and we have a good time. Time cards are just something I’ve been seeing more and more on the televised games, and I was wondering if people have added them to their setup.

Lol! Time is not a concern at all. My home game is pretty laid back and we have a good time. Time cards are just something I’ve been seeing more and more on the televised games, and I was wondering if people have added them to their setup.
It could be fun to play a tournament with a "shot clock" though... have a tablet/phone setup with a timer... use time cards... but just as a fun way to play...
like Bounty tournaments, we don't usually play bounty, but to mix it up, they are fun occasionally.

I am assuming your tournaments are self-deal? Ours are.. except when players get knocked out and don't feel like going home and offer to deal... even better when those players are actually poker dealers (we have a few of those)

My crew is not nearly "good enough" to bring time cards into the mix. Some of my players are intimidated enough without a timer. NLHE is a hard and confusing game to new comers. Add the group portion and the acting in turn and it stresses some people out. And yes, these are often the ones who don't come back, LOL. Also I don't have a dedicated dealer. Sometimes after someone busts out they'll take over dealing, but that's not something that can be relied upon.

Anyways, I think it would be fun, and would add time as a more strategic element to the game. But you'd need a dedicated dealer, and a pretty good one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom