Curious - How much did you initially pay for your Aurora Star Tournament Chips? (1 Viewer)

UncleDrew2

High Hand
Reaction score
I don‘t even know what I would do with this information, I guess I‘m just curious from an investment perspective (or I want to punish myself with how much money I would have saved if I had gotten into this hobby sooner)

Everytime I see Aurora Star Tournament Chips on the classifieds they go for around 8-9 dollars per chip. Judging from the gigantic sets some people on here have I imagine this wasn‘t always the case.

So my question is: How much did you lucky owners pay when you first bought your AST set? Excited who got theirs the cheapest ;)

Hmmm, I thought it was about $1.25-$1.50/chip and about 70k produced if memory serves me right.

In the grand scheme of things, this is not a terribly large amount of chips. I do think the current prices are a little bloated (they were $4 for a long time, which isn't awful), but given the number produced, there will always be a premium. THC chips in particular will always have a good bit of value, in my humble opinion. That goes double for spotted hotstamp THC tourney sets.

Last edited:
Right. To clarify the above, the guys who were investors in the initial buy got their chips at cost - the cost from GPI was in that $1.50 range, though I’m not sure if that figure include all the costs of the buy (like shipping, etc.) Those guys may or may not have had some kind of pact to not resell their chips, but it quickly happened, and so the initial price to the public was somewhere around $4 per chip, which seemed high at the time, since that’s similar in price to what the highly coveted leaded THC chips (like PCA $5s) were selling for.

Somewhere around 2020, everything got stupid, and prices for higher end chips more than doubled, hence their current price point. So if you want to regret not getting the good price, regret not getting the $4ish per chip price - you (and me and 99% of PCFers) never had a shot at the $1.50 price.

They hit the secondary market around $4 per chip, initially. Except for the $2 cash chip, which stayed relatively low cost for quite a while, around $2 per chip.

You should be able to search previous sale history.

I think I paid near peak. $7-$10/chip. Pieced it together during different sales.

No regrets, I love them and my only NAGB chips.

Last edited:
Because you asked specifically about Aurora Star Tournament I'm assuming you are talking about just the hot stamps. I paid $4.25 for most of mine. I paid $5/chip to make up for some 'gaps' in my set.

I did pay a lot for a sample set that included a T5 however and then sold my old sample set that didn't have a T5 in it. I think the difference to get the T5 was like $40.

Double
Boooyaaaahhh

Attachments

• 01116A4A-D631-4F9B-9792-70E7843D53EB.png
    01116A4A-D631-4F9B-9792-70E7843D53EB.png
    505.5 KB · Views: 103
Nah, I really like that set. It was the first set of THC chips I bought as a set and the first time I spent real money on chips. But I let mine go when it became super obvious that I was never going to ever felt them, they were just a thing to own to check a box, and the price I was offered for them paid for 2.5 sets that I love, play with, and don’t ever plan to part from.

Nah, I really like that set. It was the first set of THC chips I bought as a set and the first time I spent real money on chips. But I let mine go when it became super obvious that I was never going to ever felt them, they were just a thing to own to check a box, and the price I was offered for them paid for 2.5 sets that I love, play with, and don’t ever plan to part from.
FELT THEM!

I don‘t even know what I would do with this information, I guess I‘m just curious from an investment perspective (or I want to punish myself with how much money I would have saved if I had gotten into this hobby sooner)

Everytime I see Aurora Star Tournament Chips on the classifieds they go for around 8-9 dollars per chip. Judging from the gigantic sets some people on here have I imagine this wasn‘t always the case.

So my question is: How much did you lucky owners pay when you first bought your AST set? Excited who got theirs the cheapest ;)
I paid $2.50/chip in the last quarter of 2019, just can’t recall exact date.

I got a 600 piece set. Expanded it to 1200+ by the end of the love affair. Prices of addons went up over time from $2.75/3 to $5/5.50 by the time I sold out.

I am not considering the T5, I had 120 of them too, but man, they are nutty to acquire. Freakish money. Like $15/chip, and it might not even get it done on todays PCF.

Haha I see I flushed out all the big fish on PCF with this post! As a PCF newbie since reading most of the boat chips thread I am hooked - but I also came to terms with the fact that I might never own a full set :(

So I shifted to aiming for a sample set of each of the three (Tourney and cash), that makes 7 in total right?

Haha I see I flushed out all the big fish on PCF with this post! As a PCF newbie since reading most of the boat chips thread I am hooked - but I also came to terms with the fact that I might never own a full set :(

So I shifted to aiming for a sample set of each of the three (Tourney and cash), that makes 7 in total right?
Nah, the big fish all got them from Paulson directly ;)

By the way, if anyone of you wants to sell me a sample set of ASTs or the other ones feel free to DM me anytime :)

I am not considering the T5, I had 120 of them too, but man, they are nutty to acquire. Freakish money. Like $15/chip, and it might not even get it done on todays PCF.
Really? You're making me regret that I had 320 of them murdered by Gear (my only murders ever)!

Really? You're making me regret that I had 320 of them murdered by Gear (my only murders ever)!
They do make great murders though for sure. I can recall a local chipper owning a few racks, also murdered, into Aztar $5s I think. Amazing!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom