Coming Soon: "El Rey" Cash and Tourney Sets (1 Viewer)

MegaTon44

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
Background: Back in 2016, my wife and I lost our corgi, Lucky, to cancer. Little guy fought for almost 2 years, endured a ton of treatments and surgeries, and has been missed tremendously ever since. In order to memorialize Lucky, we decided that we wanted to create custom clay poker chip sets with his likeness.

Inlay Design: Being a former owner of a TRK Rounders horde, that design means a lot to me. Therefore, I wanted to capture Lucky's likeness in a manner that would pay tribute to Rounders. Legendary designer @Johnny5 created 2 inlays over the last year that I am honored to share below.

Naming: Lucky was a very stoic pup, so much so that my wife and I called him "King Lucky". As a play on this nickname, and pulling in a Tarantino/Thompson reference, El Rey ("The King") is the name of the set that I chose to go with. As such, the Lcrown mold was my natural choice to use as the foundation for these sets.

Cash Set Design: Being a huge fan of solids, I wanted to have one set with this basic pattern. I gave my wife some color options for each denom and she built out the set for me. Since Lucky was/is so important to both of us, I wanted her to be involved and design the chips herself.

Tourney Set Design: My favorite tourney set of all time is Paulson ACF. As such, I wanted to pay tribute and build a CPC set using similar colors. The T10K was removed due to redundancy, along with the T5, but the rest of the set should be closely aligned. Special thanks to @BGinGA (Dave) for his expert design skills on the chips and follow-up support with changes.

Enough blabbing, on to the mockups...

El Rey Cash Set
ETA - Q1 2020 (Paid and waiting for next Lcrown run)
dc_lc_set1a.jpg

El Rey Tourney Set
ETA - Late 2020 (Payable when I can swing it)
dc_lt_set2b.jpg

Thanks so much for reading!

More to come...

Great job man! Love em and very cool tribute. Looking forward to seeing the real thing.

Nice sets, love the ACF tribute.

Aren't you having another set of cpcs milled and labelled up with a similar theme? Or have I imagined that?

Bonus points for the dog tribute and double bonus points for having owned a corgi. How very royal of you.

Nice sets, love the ACF tribute.

Aren't you having another set of cpcs milled and labelled up with a similar theme? Or have I imagined that?
Thanks! Yeah, that was the goal. Unfortunately, the Roman mold chips I collected were very fickle with the milling machine (clay melting onto the bit). Therefore, decided to change directions and go with CPC instead.

Background: Back in 2016, my wife and I lost our corgi, Lucky, to cancer. Little guy fought for almost 2 years, endured a ton of treatments and surgeries, and has been missed tremendously ever since. In order to memorialize Lucky, we decided that we wanted to create custom clay poker chip sets with his likeness.

Inlay Design: Being a former owner of a TRK Rounders horde, that design means a lot to me. Therefore, I wanted to capture Lucky's likeness in a manner that would pay tribute to Rounders. Legendary designer @Johnny5 created 2 inlays over the last year that I am honored to share below.

Naming: Lucky was a very stoic pup, so much so that my wife and I called him "King Lucky". As a play on this nickname, and pulling in a Tarantino/Thompson reference, El Rey ("The King") is the name of the set that I chose to go with. As such, the Lcrown mold was my natural choice to use as the foundation for these sets.

Cash Set Design: Being a huge fan of solids, I wanted to have one set with this basic pattern. I gave my wife some color options for each denom and she built out the set for me. Since Lucky was/is so important to both of us, I wanted her to be involved and design the chips herself.

Tourney Set Design: My favorite tourney set of all time is Paulson ACF. As such, I wanted to pay tribute and build a CPC set using similar colors. The T10K was removed due to redundancy, along with the T5, but the rest of the set should be closely aligned. Special thanks to @BGinGA (Dave) for his expert design skills on the chips and follow-up support with changes.

Enough blabbing, on to the mockups...

El Rey Cash Set
ETA - Q1 2020 (Paid and waiting for next Lcrown run)
View attachment 334426

El Rey Tourney Set
ETA - Late 2020 (Payable when I can swing it)
View attachment 334427

Thanks so much for reading!

More to come...
Love it man. Very well done.

I’ve been considering doing something similar for our Scottie that we lost a couple years ago. Helps that my name is Scott.

There is even a song that will go with the set. It is an old Mexican song that is very popular by Jose Alfredo Jimenez and popularized by a singer named Vicente Fernandez. Congrats on the set.

Congrats Dan, these look awsome.
Glad you never left dispite some bumps in the road :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom