Cash Game Cash Game Denominations Help (1 Viewer)

UrlEncode

Reaction score
Me and some friends are planning to have a cash game in the near future, we're not looking to do too high of stakes which is where my problem lies.

I currently only have denominations of $1/$5/$25/$100/$500, but we're probably going to be setting our buy-in at around $25-$50 (All college students).

Has anyone had any experience using larger denominations to represent smaller amounts of cash i.e. $1 chip = $0.10, $5 = $0.50, etc.? I'll probably end up picking up some smaller denomination chips in the future, but right now all I have to work with is 1/5/25/100/500.

How many do you have of each? I would $.25/$.50 stakes and make the $25s quarters, $100s $1s, and $500s $5s. Simple and easy. $5s could be $.05 if lower stakes are desired

Your plan is one workable option.

Another is to make the $25 be a quarter. This assumes you have enough $25 to play the role of quarter AND have enough $5 that you never actually need real $25.

Depends on your chip count, but I think your plan is likely the way to go.

Is $25-$50 each player's cap for the night? If that's the case and you're playing no limit you need to think about reloading after people get stacked. 3-5 buy-ins per person, depending on how much they like to gamble, is usually good for a night.

A lot of people use the divide by 10 rule you mentioned, or make the $ sign represent cents.

Back in college frat house poker, we would do $5-$20 buy-in games. I was a part-time high roller everywhere I went to make random high bets.

One would buy-in for $5 and would get 500 face in chips. As others mentioned, the math is easier if you convert the $ to cents. If there are part-time high rollers, give him a rack of 100s. Just be prepared for part-time high rollers who would do crazy shit.

We've tried dividing the face by 10 but didn't like it. Dividing by 10 or a different number got us confused on the math, especially since we were drunk n high.

Last edited:
How many do you have of each?
I have $1 x 150, $5 x 150, $25 x 100, $100 x 50, $500 x 50, just a set I bought off of Amazon a little while ago.

I would $.25/$.50 stakes and make the $25s quarters, $100s $1s, and $500s $5s. Simple and easy. $5s could be $.05 if lower stakes are desired
That was the plan: $0.25/$0.50 blinds, and I do suppose that as others have also suggested, having each denomination represent cents instead of dollars would be easier on the math-side of things, rather than dividing by 10.

Another is to make the $25 be a quarter. This assumes you have enough $25 to play the role of quarter AND have enough $5 that you never actually need real $25.

Depends on your chip count, but I think your plan is likely the way to go.
Also a good point, it would be beneficial to offer some lower denomination chips if we end up dividing by 10, rather than have $25 become $2.50.

Is $25-$50 each player's cap for the night? If that's the case and you're playing no limit you need to think about reloading after people get stacked. 3-5 buy-ins per person, depending on how much they like to gamble, is usually good for a night.
I've played a few cash games in college, but for all of my other friends, this will be their first, so I don't anticipate anyone buying in more than 2 or 3 times total for the night. No major gamblers.

One would buy-in for $5 and would get 500 face in chips. As others mentioned, the math is easier if you convert the $ to cents. If there are part-time high rollers, give him a rack of 100s. Just be prepared for part-time high rollers who would do crazy shit.

We've tried dividing the face by 10 but didn't like it. Dividing by 10 or a different number got us confused on the math, especially since we were drunk n high.
Definitely makes sense.

Back in college frat house poker, we would do $5-$20 buy-in games. I was a part-time high roller everywhere I went to make random high bets.
Were you in the frat? If so, which one if you don't mind sharing?

Thanks everyone for your help! I think we'll end up just converting the dollars to cents to make it easier, and probably borrow @Sunshine 's suggestion of having $25 serve as a quarter.

Maybe just scale up the buyins.

Meaning, $50 gets you $500 in chips. And then play $1/$2 blinds.

Figure out the math when you're cashing out.

That way, when people are drunk in the middle of hands they're not trying to make the conversion in their head.

Me and some friends are planning to have a cash game in the near future, we're not looking to do too high of stakes which is where my problem lies.

I currently only have denominations of $1/$5/$25/$100/$500, but we're probably going to be setting our buy-in at around $25-$50 (All college students).

Has anyone had any experience using larger denominations to represent smaller amounts of cash i.e. $1 chip = $0.10, $5 = $0.50, etc.? I'll probably end up picking up some smaller denomination chips in the future, but right now all I have to work with is 1/5/25/100/500.
Pics?

If $50 is the cap .25/.50 blinds are way too high.

Set the buy-in to $10-$25 and blinds to .10/.25. This gives players 2 buy ins for the night which might work without a full table of degen gamblers.

Ideally, buy a 25c to play NL25 (0.25-0.25) or NL50 (0.25-0.50). I don’t know if there is a quarter (or chip without value) available for the chips you have.

Your other option is to scale by a factor of 10. You buyin for $20 and get $200 worth of chips.
NL20 —> $200 on blinds 1-2
NL50 —> $500 on blinds 2-5

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom