Car thread - Hybrid vs non-Hybrid 0-60 and price difference (specifically Accord and Camry) (1 Viewer)

p5woody

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
I have been doing some research, I found this information interesting so I thought I would share.

The regular accord has two engines (192 HP and 252 HP) and the hybrid falls right in between for 0-60 times but doesn’t reach the high end speeds in the ¼ mile.
Gas mileage for the accord: base engine average 31 mpg, upgraded engine 26 mpg, hybrid 47 mpg
Price difference Base engine vs Hybrid $1530, Base vs upgraded engine $2000

2018 Honda Accord
Trim, HP, Engine, Transmission 0-60 times 1/4 mile times
Touring 2.0T 4dr Sedan,252 hp 5.9 sec 14.4 @ 98 mph
LX 4dr Sedan,192 hp 7.3 sec 15.7 @ 91 mph

2018 Honda Accord Hybrid
Touring 4dr Sedan 6.6 sec 15.7 @ 85 mph

Toyota Camry a comparison:
Hybrid not as fast 0-60 but faster top end speed compared to Accord, again the hybrid falls in between base (203 HP) and upgraded engine(301HP).
Gas mileage: base engine average 33 mpg, upgraded engine 27 mpg, hybrid 46 mpg
Price difference Base engine vs Hybrid $3800, Base vs upgraded engine $5000 (approximate, don’t have exact model just upgrading engine)

2018 Toyota Camry 0-60 times
XLE V6 4dr Sedan,301 hp 6.1 sec 14.5 @ 98 mph
XLE 4dr Sedan,203 hp 7.5 sec 15.9 @ 90 mph

2018 Toyota Camry Hybrid 0-60 times
XLE 4dr Sedan,176 hp 7.2 sec 15.6 @ 92 mph

More data can be found here: http://autotk.com/0-60-times.html
Gas mileage savings calculator: https://www.carmax.com/research/mpg-calculator

FYI - I ended up getting the 2018 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring

Last edited:
I must have chips on the brain. Even with the updated title I was thinking Sunfly. I saw Hybrid vs Non-Hybrid and read no further. o_O

If performance is an important criteria, I wouldn't be looking at Accords or Camrys in the first place. In this class of vehicle I would consider the deciding factors to be comfort, reliability, mileage, cost, etc. I wouldn't spend significant dollars on performance upgrades as there just won't be enough of a difference to matter.

Other factors can also influence performance more in real world driving, like the way the cars are geared. I used to love getting Dodge Neons as rentals. Even though they had a little 4 cylinder engine and would get smoked in the 1/4 mile (or even 0-60), they were nice and responsive in their 0-30 times which made them fun around town where you aren't making 1/4 mile runs.

I must have chips on the brain. Even with the updated title I was thinking Sunfly. I saw Hybrid vs Non-Hybrid and read no further. o_O

If performance is an important criteria, I wouldn't be looking at Accords or Camrys in the first place. In this class of vehicle I would consider the deciding factors to be comfort, reliability, mileage, cost, etc. I wouldn't spend significant dollars on performance upgrades as there just won't be enough of a difference to matter.

Other factors can also influence performance more in real world driving, like the way the cars are geared. I used to love getting Dodge Neons as rentals. Even though they had a little 4 cylinder engine and would get smoked in the 1/4 mile (or even 0-60), they were nice and responsive in their 0-30 times which made them fun around town where you aren't making 1/4 mile runs.
I totally agree I bought this car for the combination of gas mileage around town, comfort on long trips, and the ability to have adults ride comfortably in the back seat. I over analyze everything and I just found the above information interesting, I knew nothing about hybrids before starting my research. Obviously cost is always a factor as well.

I was wondering what a 0-60 spot pattern looked like until I noticed Accord & Camry.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom