Are Abbiati and Matsui coming to the US? And who makes these? (1 Viewer)

In terms of quality and playability of high-end plastics, it's B&G > Abbiati > BJ > Matsui, but all suffer from inherent slippery characteristics and design/color limitations -- especially when compared to ceramic hybrids at 25% to 33% of the cost, without the limitations on chip design or colors.

Sun-Fly polyinno hybrid no-molds (especially the 43mm/25mm version) and the Chinese-made 39mm small crown hybrid mold and 39mm/43mm greek key hybrid molds all out-perform the high-end plastic chips, regardless of manufacturer or chip style/version.

If you like the look of plastic chips, you are doing yourself a real disservice if not also evaluating the various hybrid chip mold options currently available. They are nothing like standard ceramic chips in terms of looks, feel, or sound.

Really? A painted chip is a painted chip. Hard pass on imitating plastic chips or even clays for that matter. And to claim those hybrids out-perform all high end plastics is purely subjective and serves only to highlight your ignorance on the matter. But if you love them so much, why have clays when you can get the same chips as ceramic hybrids at 5% to 10% of the cost?!

Besides, I like the feel of the plastic/rubber blend from B&G / BJ / Abbiati. And FYI custom molds while pricey, are a thing, so plastic chips don’t really suffer from that many ”design limitations”. Might be better to stay in your lane at this point…
IMG_3573.jpeg

In terms of what the OP was asking about, he could also consider B&G chips. But only once broken in do they have the smooth and soft wheel I believe he is looking for (if very beaten up, they can be refurbished). Of course there are actual BJ S2 sets out there as well.

Edit: For the OP, another important thing to consider is weight. Even the BJ S2 line has weighted and unweighted versions.

Last edited:
Somehow it became important to educate him that they are all very slippery!?
Not trying to pick a fight here but I just feel that the hardcore fans of the high end plastic chips must have a very high tolerance level for slipperiness and before anyone spends the premium price they come at, it’s worth pointing out that there are very different opionions on the matter.

If the price was och on par with ceramics for example, I would shut up about it. But I expect more from a product at this price point.

For me every single different high end plastic chip that I have come across has been a HARD pass due to slipperiness. Only exception was B&G but they had other flaws (too heavy). Maybe there are certain versions I haven’t tried yet, but I’m not hopeful anything exists that will change my mind. I wish there was, because I really like the look of the plastics.

I've said it before, but none of my players have had issues handling B&G / BJ / Abbiati / Gemaco / Matsui chips, or even the very light BG jetons. And they're not chippers, pro poker players or magicians... I have also said that if you try to handle plastic chips as you would clays, you'll likely have a bad time. In this thread the OP clearly knows how BJ S2 chips feel and handle, so to hash out that some people find them too slippery or to shill for hybrids seems quite irrelevant. Let me know if you ever take the ferry over @Eriks, you are welcome to come shuffle some plastic chips with me. :cool

As for the price, yes the GB stuff is more expensive. But there have been used high end plastics available from time to time at prices comparable to even the cheaper ceramics.

Really? A painted chip is a painted chip. Hard pass on imitating plastic chips or even clays for that matter. And to claim those hybrids out-perform all high end plastics is purely subjective and serves only to highlight your ignorance on the matter. But if you love them so much, why have clays when you can get the same chips as ceramic hybrids at 5% to 10% of the cost?!

Besides, I like the feel of the plastic/rubber blend from B&G / BJ / Abbiati. And FYI custom molds while pricey, are a thing, so plastic chips don’t really suffer from that many ”design limitations”. Might be better to stay in your lane at this point…
View attachment 1218777

In terms of what the OP was asking about, he could also consider B&G chips. But only once broken in do they have the smooth and soft wheel I believe he is looking for (if very beaten up, they can be refurbished). Of course there are actual BJ S2 sets out there as well.

Edit: For the OP, another important thing to consider is weight. Even the BJ S2 line has weighted and unweighted versions.
Seriously? Stay in my lane? Wtf are you even talking about? You must be incorrectly assuming that I have no knowledge or experience regarding plastic chips and their characteristics.

I'm not the one being ignorant (lack of knowledge) or obtuse (pig-headed) here.

The comparison performance tests I referenced are factual data, not a subjective opinion -- although there are also plenty of people whose personal opinion is that those (proven) lower surface friction characteristics of plastic chips (aka slipperyness) compared to other chip types makes them an undesirable choice for poker use. Just read the comments in this thread for a sampling.

There are also plenty of folks who like 'em (see comments in this thread for verification), nothing wrong with that whatsoever.

Also nothing wrong with pointing out viable alternatives to those who may be unaware they exist.

Really don't understand your hostility regarding the issue, unless you have some financial motive.

Let me know if you ever take the ferry over @Eriks, you are welcome to come shuffle some plastic chips with me. :cool
That I might take you up on some day. Like I said, I wanna like them :)

Well, Dave, I'm just tired of reading the same flippant and derogatory comments from you about plastic chips for the umpteenth time. You are not a fan, we get it. You didn't even bother to actually answer the question asked, it was just another cheap shot you seemingly never fail to take. If that's all you had to offer, it would have been better to not reply at all. And I very much doubt your experience or knowledge about high end plastics and their characteristics compares to mine. When someone poses a question specifically about plastic chips, they are not asking whether they should be buying clays or (hybrid) ceramics instead.

Really don't understand your hostility regarding the issue, unless you have some financial motive.
Wow. Just to be clear I own a lot of plastic chips, but no financial motive here.

Not trying to pick a fight here but I just feel that the hardcore fans of the high end plastic chips must have a very high tolerance level for slipperiness and before anyone spends the premium price they come at, it’s worth pointing out that there are very different opionions on the matter.
What is the slippery talk? Slippery how? (Joe Pesci voice) serious question like when you shuffle them or stack them?

All of the above? Lol. Well I disagree to the point that I wouldn’t say they’re “slippery” Slippery to me would be like “spinners” or other cheaply made chips that can’t stack high because they’ll fall over but these can stack high with no problems. I thought maybe you were referring to the chips (for example) when you push a barrel into the middle of the pot and they will slide uniformly on top of each other and spread out evenly making it look “cool” which I love that they do and Paulsons don’t. Either way I’m not a hardcore fan nor am I trying to convince anyone to like them. I was just curious

Coming from the most slippery, dice chips, we haven’t had any major issues for 20 years. Everything else is better in comparison. If I were going backwards (had Paulsons first), I might understand the super slippery argument. But I love how all the high end plastics feel - Matsui 39mm (eg radissons) being the most slippery. Yes, if I bump my hand into a stack it will fall over but the same is true for clays too.

Clays outperform everything else. That doesn't mean other chips are not worth playing with or collecting. I take umbrage with the hyperbole that is "plastic chips, whether high or low end, are slippery to the point of unplayability." My group has more problems with the Spotify play list than the BJS2 on the table.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom