Any old competitive fighting game dinosaurs here? (1 Viewer)

DirtyTIVA

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve started watching SF6 ranked streams lately. Even found dirty old Justin Wong streaming. He has a kid now! Daigo is in his frickin mid 40s man… Brings back a lot of memories for me.

Just curious if any of you chippers used to play fighting games competitively as well back in the early 2000’s. Tekken Tag Tournament was my main. My double random or Mokujin/Random was good enough to win most state level tournaments. Was decently competitive at MvC2 but more interested in fun than winning. Those were also the days of Virtua Cop 3 max score bullet shooting in Times Square. I’m pretty sure my high scores lasted until the store closed many years later.

1689735449703.jpeg

1689735464627.jpeg

1689735751486.jpeg

The video footage from B5 in 2001 before EVO even began didn’t even come with any packaging. The infamous Daigo vs JWong full parry moment happened on one of these later discs.

Apologies if what I’m saying sounds like not Engrish. It isn’t really.

Tekken 3 for me. Got really good with Lin Xiaoyu and Eddy Gordo. Never competed but was able to make a couple quarters last multiple opponents at arcades.

I’ve started watching SF6 ranked streams lately.
Went to HS with Jeremy “Vicious” Lopez. Hope he’s doing well as an adult and glad to see some success, was an absolute ass as a child.

Just curious if any of you chippers used to play fighting games competitively as well back in the early 2000’s.
Spent far too many hours in Tekken. Never realized back then the competitions that were had. Best I could do was hold it down at the arcade. Would always be golden stretching out quarters until an entourage would show and a little @DirtyTIVA would destroy us.

Big fish in a little pond, but couldn’t hold a candle to those that truly played competitively.

I used to crush the Street Fighter II arcade machine in my uni days late 00’s. $0.50 would last me a long time haha

The “lets goo Justin” before Daigo does the full parry never gets old lol

Played a little Street Fighter but nothing competitive.

Fight Night Round 3/4/Champion was my jawn, hot damn I was good. I could beat most people blindfolded at welterweight or heavyweight. Was hoping Undisputed would be a successor but very mixed reviews.

Cool thread. Furthest I got in fighting games was MK and MKII. Kano and Baraka were my guys.
kano-mk1-heart-rip-fatality.gif

Went to HS with Jeremy “Vicious” Lopez. Hope he’s doing well as an adult and glad to see some success, was an absolute ass as a child.

Spent far too many hours in Tekken. Never realized back then the competitions that were had. Best I could do was hold it down at the arcade. Would always be golden stretching out quarters until an entourage would show and a little @DirtyTIVA would destroy us.

Big fish in a little pond, but couldn’t hold a candle to those that truly played competitively.
Back in those pre-console days the only action was at the arcade. So your level of play was always capped by the local competition. Upstate New York (Tobias Boon), NYC (Justin Wong) and Boston (Chensor) were the biggest scenes I was aware of back then when I was living in CT.

I picked up MvC2 because people would walk in, see me on TTT, and walk away to wait till I beat the game. So I followed them to MvC2 to main Magneto with Storm/Cable/CapCom/Psylocke/Bulleta assists.

I used to crush the Street Fighter II arcade machine in my uni days late 00’s. $0.50 would last me a long time haha

The “lets goo Justin” before Daigo does the full parry never gets old lol

It was Alpha 1 and Virtua Fighter 2 in college in the late 90’s for me. Seeing this video is hilarious because Alpha 1 Akuma was cheap af. I do recall beating him with Birdie. Took a lot of standing fierce and full screen grab supers.

I ultimately never got top tier in competitive TTT because I still enjoyed playing for fun. Top tier was dominated by frame advantageous moves like Jin/Ogre/True Ogre/Heihachi 1,1,2 and cheap unblockable shit like Ogre B+2 or True Ogre F, F+2(?). There was not much counterplay and the game mechanics were very limited.

For the non gamers here the following is the infamous Daigo moment in 2004(?) that I would claim remains the single greatest moment in competitive fighting game history. Almost 20 years later there are probably only a handful of players in the world who could even pull off this full parry ending in the air parry into full combo into super let alone to clutch out an elimination game (maybe to win the whole tournament even? I forget).

Apologies for the long winded post.

played them back in the day. I still play PUBG on PC a few hours a day currently

played them back in the day. I still play PUBG on PC a few hours a day currently
I’m screenshotting this so I can have “the talk” with my kids when they’re a little older.

Little Tommy and Little Samantha, there’s nothing like the embrace of a loved one. Sharing your life with another human, actively choosing them as your human. And the ability to bring forth life, to create a beacon of emotion and love is a light that dims all others.

Now all that being said, you could always choose the happiness of poker chips, hours of freedom everyday, and happiness :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

(Joke from someone who keeps buying games but can’t get to them. Level 12 in Diablo 4 for a month now)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom