Cash Game 25c / 25c game w/snapper (1 Viewer)

Roslindale

Straight
Reaction score
We play a 25c/25c game on occasion. I enjoy the company of friends and companions while we play, talk, eat, and drink. I don't want people to go home having lost more than $300.

With keeping the game in reason, I limit the buy-in to $40, and rebuys eventually up to $80.

I was thinking to replace the $5 chip with a $2.50 chip.

Any thoughts on this?

I thought it might keep the game playing smaller longer.

What if you got rid of the $5 and used a $20? Sounds crazy I know, but that way you can help someone with a large stack colorup, but it’s a lot harder to casually toss a $20 chip out than it is a $5. This would keep them mostly using $1’s, which may mean more thought out $3 bets than casual $5 bets. Plus once you get one of the rarer $20 you may have a propensity to want to keep it.
I dunno, may be crap but it was a thought

I can only speak for myself but it wouldn't keep me from playing any smaller - if I have $40 in front of me, I know what I want to do with it, denominations be damned. I will say that the one time I introduced snappers into my game, it made chip counting difficult. More difficult than you'd think. Of course, it was late in the night and I'd had a couple more drinks than I should have. I only needed to try it once to see that it wasn't for me.
But as with everything, give it a try and see how you like it for yoursef.

He’s talking about getting rid of his $5’s and making the $2.50 the top value chip. So people would maybe start betting $2.50 or multiples of it instead of $5 and multiples of it.
He’s trying to limit people’s losses by making it a bit harder to throw out $5 and a bit easier to throw out a $2.50.

I don’t think he’s running $2.50’s and $5’s at the same time if I read it right

For poker, $2s, $2.50s, $3, and other uncommon denominations can be used for fixed limit since the value doesn't really matter during gameplay. However, for big bet games, most people have a hard time counting in multiples of uncommon denominations.

YMMV. Try it with your players to see what they think. I tried it once and it was universally hated...

What would you like to accomplish by replacing the $5s? If you want the illusion of big stacks to keep the 25c/25c game playing smaller longer, try adding more $1s to your chipset (like 1000).

He’s talking about getting rid of his $5’s and making the $2.50 the top value chip. So people would maybe start betting $2.50 or multiples of it instead of $5 and multiples of it.
He’s trying to limit people’s losses by making it a bit harder to throw out $5 and a bit easier to throw out a $2.50.
Exactly

I am going to try it, for sure.. just trying to accumulate enough IG Secondary to do so...( why do I always like chips that are hard to find)

I think part of being my home game is that I can choose the chips and denominations.
What if you got rid of the $5 and used a $20?
A nice beautiful yellow $20 chip would be a great way to round it out, in my view. Playing with:
25c, $1,$2.50, $20

I don’t think it will matter much in term of making your player bet lesser.

If one is going to bet $10 using 2 x $5, he is just as likely to be betting with 4 x $2.50 or 10 x $1.

You might play lesser hand per hours since there are technically more chips to count in stacks so player might lose their stack slower

Last edited:
I'm assuming your players are all recreational and don't understand the maffs right? If they do understand the math, I don't see how smaller/larger denom chips will really help. Is $80, 320bb, too deep for recreational players?

Is $80, 320bb, too deep for recreational players?
We play a 10c-20c game on a different day for more recreational players...

The 25c-25c game does play a little big, but it works for us.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom