• This site contains affiliate links. If you choose to make a purchase after clicking a link, Poker Chip Forum may receive a commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!

Mine 2012 Nissan Murano (Anyone know best way to sell used car?) (1 Viewer)

BarrieJ3

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not on Facebook but most of the world is so I would say throw it up on their marketplace just to get more views. The more eyes that see it the better your chance of getting that one person who will buy it to give you a call.

As far as anything else, make sure the car is clean at all times (at the very least keep the interior as close to spotless as you can get it) so if somebody wants to look at it you are ready to go. A clean car means a little something when you are selling it, it's worth it to detail it in my opinion. Not saying you have to drop money to get it done , but put in a few hours if it needs it.

The other thing, and in all reality this is what will make the biggest difference, the price; if you want to sell it fast price it to sell fast. The amount of people that will waste your time on Craigslist looking at your car or emailing back and forth trying just to get a time to meet will stagger you, if your goal is to be rid of it and not screw around too much price it less than you probably want to and take the first person with cash.

Just my experience, may not be correct or even good advise but when I got tired of people washing my time I priced the last car I sold $500 less than any other car listed and took the first offer.

Good luck bud!

I've sold my last two vehicles on Craigslist and use this strategy when I list my apartments for rent on other websites (depends on your area, my other city of residence, SLC is a Craigslist deadzone).

I'd give a very in-depth and thoughtful description of the vehicle. Answer every question that somebody could possibly have, good pictures, the works. Then at the end of the ad, toss this in "PLEASE READ: If you contact me asking a question that is answered in this description, you will not get a response."

This should make weeding through the responses easy, if somebody is unable to follow simple directions and/or read the entirety of your ad - it is probably not worth your time to pursue that potential customer.

Last edited:
I sold my wife's car on Autotrader.com. I had Facebook and Craigslist ads, got more hits on Autotrader.

eBay Motors is also good if you don't mind paying their fees lol. I've known a few people that have bought cars on there.

Also, if you have a Carsdirect near you, they will buy it on the spot. No dealing with annoying tire kickers. You won't get as much for it though.

I'd just take it to Carmax first and see what they offer. You're not obliged to sell but if the price is anywhere near the minimum you'd take, I'd rather let them have it and avoid the calls, meetings with strangers and stress of a private sale.

Thanks all! I thought this may take a long time or be stressful as happenings tend to be, but there it went. About 15 texts from Craigslist alone, funnily enough one being a carmax rep and the other caravana.

Got what looks to be a dealer from an hour away who is giving what I asked cash in hand without concern for brakes, oil change, etc.

Moar chipes! Thanks all!

I'd give a very in-depth and thoughtful description of the vehicle. Answer every question that somebody could possibly have, good pictures, the works.

This is the best advice. Think about what you would want to know... length of ownership, any and all maintenance and repairs performed, reason for selling, whether there is a lien on the vehicle, etc. Any accidents... If you have your maintenance records, say so. If you have a Carfax you can provide, say as much.

List ALL the options your vehicle has too. Make it look like a professional listing.

from your ad:

Price reflects and is still underpriced due to work relocation. Make an offer!

I would take this out and instead say 'price reduced to reflect minor cosmetic damage'. Your ad already says 'priced to sell'. Unless you're desperate, you don't want to directly imply that you want to sell for less than listed.

Then at the end of the ad, toss this in "PLEASE READ: If you contact me asking a question that is answered in this description, you will not get a response."

This will make you sound like a jerk. Here's an alternative suggestion:

'Buyers only please - no sellers, dealerships or brokers. Please use the subject line '2012 Murano' so I know this isn't spam. All other messages will be ignored.'

I've done this for years with stuff I've sold and it's very effective.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom