Cash Game: Adding third blind or raising blinds when playing full ring? (1 Viewer)

Santa123

Straight
Reaction score
During a home game maybe in the beginning you start off short handed e.g. with 6 players. In the prime time you play full ring and in the late stage players start to leave and you play short handed again.

What comes to my mind is for example when playing 8+ handed
- a third blind: e.g. playing short handed $1/$2 but than you play $1/$1/$2 or $1/$2/$2.
- raising blinds a little: instead of $1/$2 playing $1/$3
- introduce a blind ante: big blind posts an ante which equals the big blind

Do you have any experience that blinds/ antes got adapted depending on numbers of players? Do you think this has even any effect on the game?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Actions are dependent on player type, increasing or adding blind

Loose player - still going to play the same
Tight player - going to play tigher
Crasher - going to make more river play / blind steal
Calling station - still going to limp and limp call the same
Whale - still going to straddle and rebuy more

Other options include, adding a rock, a kill, or changing the game to have a bring in.

1/2 with a 5 bring in is common, they all increase the cost of playing.

Other options include, adding a rock, a kill, or changing the game to have a bring in.

1/2 with a 5 bring in is common, they all increase the cost of playing.
Could you explain these terminologies. I am not familiar with them. With $5 bring in you mean you can't call the big blind?

Sure, so I think the best choice would to be to add a bring in.

Basically the blinds are $1 / $2, but in order to 'call' you must call $5, sometimes referred to as a 1/2/5 game.

a rock is like a straddle, the house would put in a $5 special chip and anyone that has it can straddle when they want, or you can make them post it and action would start to the left of it.

A Mississippi straddle would allow anyone to straddle at any time from any position, $5 would be typical in a 1/2 game, and priority goes to worst position. Another version of this is to have the button have a mandatory straddle. So first to ack is the small bind they post $1 but have to call $5 to play.

a kill would change the stakes from a 1/2 to a 2/4 or 3/5, if someone wins 2 pots in a row the kill is on. Kills in a NLH game isn't common and it doesn't really work well.

I do think it would be interesting to have a $1 ante and 1/2 game, if nothing else getting everyone to bitch would be fun to listen to haha.

I don't like being in the habit of raising blinds above what's announced for a game.

If we are in a situation where we have late players and are short to start, I can usually talk players into starting 4-handed if we play for half the blinds, or just play solo big-blind until we have 5 or 6.

I do like the bring in option as @Machine describes it, but that's pretty easily applicable regardless of the number of players.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom