Zombie Apocalypse in Ohio October 1 & 2, 2021

Ben8257

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting close now. Would be nice to hear from the forum members coming about what stakes you are really comfortable with for the circus table.

Again with all of @toynoob local players being NLHE only, plus several here sound like hold em only players we will definitely have a Holdem Cash table going the whole time other than the main event. Even two tables is no concern if some would prefer slightly higher stakes. Not trying to speak for Chris. but I think the locals have been running $1/$3? Also should always be a frac game going ($.25/$.50 or $.50/$1) so if holdem is your game we should be able to accommodate!

On the Mixed games is where we are trying to get a count and see what everyone is comfortable with for stakes.

So If you do plan on trying some circus games with us, just a couple quick questions.

1) which days are you coming 10/1, 10/2 or both
2) do you have any PLO/ mixed game experience, or planning on trying for the first time.
3) what stakes do you feel like you would be comfortable playing ($20 buy in - $.05/$.10) ($40 buy in $.10/$.20) ($100 buy in - $.25/$.50) we are planning on running $.25/$.50 with $100 max buy in Friday evening but trying to gauge interest.

If you don't feel comfortable answering publically feel free to shoot me a PM/DM and let me know.

My reason for asking is transparency, last year we had at least one player that was looking for an above beginner level mixed game table and made quite a lengthy drive. He played the main event but was hoping for more action than what we had to offer. Just want to make sure everyone knows what they are walking into and what to expect this time around.

Again absolutely nothing wrong with playing holdem, saying "hey I have no experience, but I want to learn some mixed games" I am no pro but happy to deal this table and explain each game as much as possible, play a few hands face up, or whatever it takesto get you comfortable before asking you to put money on the table.

Remember this is a social event! It is all about having fun!!

Chris, Brie and I will be there no matter what stakes anyone is comfortable with! We just want people to come out, try out the best part of the forum in my opinion... and that is interactions and having fun with other enthusiasts!

Please respond if you are still planning on attending, would also be nice to get some kind of a final count! Also please note that @toynoob said you are welcome to bring friends and additional players. Even last minute walk ins are welcome, but it would be nice to have some idea on #'s for this.

Truly looking forward to meeting new faces and seeing old friends again! Yes even you Royce @Louisiana hold em ! Lol

Fellow Chipper Ben

tabletalker7

Full House
Reaction score
The .25/.50 you guys have been chatting about is good for me. I am planning on bringing enough in cash for just about any stakes, but to be honest, outside of that evil 2 card game everyone seems to hate I don't want stakes going too high. Will definitely spend a chunk of time with the locals on $1/$2.

buffalojim

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm bringing myself, I don't think I can convince anyone else to attend.

1) which days are you coming 10/1, 10/2 or both

- Both

2) do you have any PLO/ mixed game experience, or planning on trying for the first time.

- not really, plan to try

3) what stakes do you feel like you would be comfortable playing ($20 buy in - $.05/$.10) ($40 buy in $.10/$.20) ($100 buy in - $.25/$.50) we are planning on running $.25/$.50 with $100 max buy in Friday evening but trying to gauge interest.

- all of that sounds yummy

Louisiana hold em

High Hand
Reaction score
@toynoob @Ben8257 I think there might be a couple locals that would play low stakes circus. @toynoob we played 25¢ dealers choice at Knappy's for most of the night one time, can't remember if you were there, but thinking you didn't make it that time.

I can't make any guarantees, I just know a few might be interested.

Ben8257

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like we have a date at the $.25/$.50 table!

@detroitdad
@FordPickup92
@tabletalker7
@buffalojim
@ParrotheadMZ
@ myself! Lol
@toynoob if hes not busy taking down monster stacks on the Holdem table.

I think @Marhault if he is planning on attending plays both as well.

Really 6 - 7 is perfect, plus I am sure others may want to try so I think we are a go for a fun Friday evening!

Thanks everyone

detroitdad

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Sounds like we have a date at the $.25/$.50 table!

@detroitdad
@FordPickup92
@tabletalker7
@buffalojim
@ParrotheadMZ
@ myself! Lol
@toynoob if hes not busy taking down monster stacks on the Holdem table.

I think @Marhault if he is planning on attending plays both as well.

Really 6 - 7 is perfect, plus I am sure others may want to try so I think we are a go for a fun Friday evening!

Thanks everyone

SOHE:

6 card game. Pre Flop, you separate your hand into a two card hold'em hand and a 4 card Omaha Hi hand. Split pot game. Best hand on each side wins half the pot.

Big O:

5 card PLO8

Draw2maha:

5 card game. Split pot between your best 5 card hand and your best Omaha Hi hand (using two of your five). The kicker is, you can re draw up to two cards in your hand after the betting round on the flop. After the re draw we go straight to the turn card.

This is one of my favorite games.

Double Board PLO

Simple, There are two full boards. A high winner on each board. Split pot game. Can be played with 4 or 5 cards.

2-7 Single No Limit Single Draw

Aces are always high. The best hand is 2, 3, 4, 5, 7. Straights, flushes, pairs all count against you. There is no low qualifier. There is only two betting rounds. There isn't any limping in the first round. We usually do a min $2.00 bring in.

SHESHE

5 card game. You split your hand into a three card superholdem hand and a two card hold'em hand. In the three card superholdem hand you can use all three cards. You do the split pre flop.

Above is the most common games called.

Some of the other games that will probably see an orbit or two are

Stampler

Its played like 5 card PLO8. The catch is, if there is no qualifying low, then the high spade in the hole wins half the pot. Ace of spades is high in this situation.

I don't care for the game. I'll play it if someone calls it.

3-2-1

4 or 5 card PLO8. three boards, two turns, and one river. The top board can only play the top turn. Bottom board bottom turn. Middle board can play either.

Don't like it. I nit up when its called, but I will play it.

Scrotum 8

5 card game. You discard whatever cards that you don't want. Then you must play all that you keep. if you keep 4 cards, you must play all four of them and only one from the board.

Stakes are .25/.50, 100 max buy in. Re buys are 100, or half the deep stack.

tabletalker7

Full House
Reaction score
SOHE:

6 card game. Pre Flop, you separate your hand into a two card hold'em hand and a 4 card Omaha Hi hand. Split pot game. Best hand on each side wins half the pot.

Big O:

5 card PLO8

Draw2maha:

5 card game. Split pot between your best 5 card hand and your best Omaha Hi hand (using two of your five). The kicker is, you can re draw up to two cards in your hand after the betting round on the flop. After the re draw we go straight to the turn card.

This is one of my favorite games.

Double Board PLO

Simple, There are two full boards. A high winner on each board. Split pot game. Can be played with 4 or 5 cards.

2-7 Single No Limit Single Draw

Aces are always high. The best hand is 2, 3, 4, 5, 7. Straights, flushes, pairs all count against you. There is no low qualifier. There is only two betting rounds. There isn't any limping in the first round. We usually do a min $2.00 bring in.

SHESHE

5 card game. You split your hand into a three card superholdem hand and a two card hold'em hand. In the three card superholdem hand you can use all three cards. You do the split pre flop.

Above is the most common games called.

Some of the other games that will probably see an orbit or two are

Stampler

Its played like 5 card PLO8. The catch is, if there is no qualifying low, then the high spade in the hole wins half the pot. Ace of spades is high in this situation.

I don't care for the game. I'll play it if someone calls it.

3-2-1

4 or 5 card PLO8. three boards, two turns, and one river. The top board can only play the top turn. Bottom board bottom turn. Middle board can play either.

Don't like it. I nit up when its called, but I will play it.

Scrotum 8

5 card game. You discard whatever cards that you don't want. Then you must play all that you keep. if you keep 4 cards, you must play all four of them and only one from the board.

Stakes are .25/.50, 100 max buy in. Re buys are 100, or half the deep stack.
Here you go with the confusing crap again ....

Poker Zombie

Royal Flush
Reaction score
I have to admit, there are few to no circus games that I thought I would enjoy when reading the rules. However, there are even fewer that I do not enjoy playing.

If your goal playing poker is to sit and socialize, I think circus games are great. If you don't like your hand after the flop, fold. You will have plenty of time to tell a story, use the restroom, or get a drink without holding up the action or missing a hand.

One time, on a particularly long day, I left the table, took a 20 minute nap and then came back to the table refreshed. I only missed one orbit.

Variance is high in most of these games, but the number of hands played are far fewer than a night of holdem, so that helps to mitigate losses.

tabletalker7

Full House
Reaction score
Another dumb question. I imagine the room we are using at the VFW has an exit to the outside. Is it like an alleyway or something I can park my Jeep in? Cause I'd let smokers use my Jeep as a shelter.

detroitdad

Royal Flush
Reaction score
High hand jackpot at the circus table wins the glass? Any other suggestions?

20210915_084309.jpg

Ben8257

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually did the math yesterday... which I never do because it is depressing! Lol but it wasn't as bad as I thought. Around $6,400 But I may be rounding down on quite a few... but really what is $6k in this hobby any more? 2 racks of BTPs?? Lmao it's all good, give me the old school leaded ugly stuff any day of the week!

The best part I guess to me is that most people would look at this set and say "I wouldn't buy that for $500!" And that just makes me love them even more! Lol

As we all know, buying chips as singles or small lots will likely never be a great investment, shipping kills it, you really have to love the chips and plan on them being long term keeper sets or you are going to loose your ass! I just find this one funny because of the total bank for the set vs. What it has cost me.

FordPickup92

Royal Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another dumb question. I imagine the room we are using at the VFW has an exit to the outside. Is it like an alleyway or something I can park my Jeep in? Cause I'd let smokers use my Jeep as a shelter.
The VFW has an open parking lot as well as doorway overhangs, you should be fine

Louisiana hold em

High Hand
Reaction score
there is an exit in the back we used last year for smoking, it's not going to be that cold shouldn't need shelter.

Top Bottom