Youtube Doug Polk (1 Viewer)

Why does Doug Polk hate Daniel Negreanu? Is he just jealous of kid poker's beloved status?

Why does Doug Polk hate Daniel Negreanu? Is he just jealous of kid poker's beloved status?

Negreanu makes some pretty outlandish statements at times. He can be a bit of a drama queen. I don't think he hates him as a player.

As Rainman wrote, nothing personal between Polk and Negreanu... This whole thing between them begun when Negreanu defended PokerStars steep increase in rake, saying that was good for the game... Needless to say, Polk and 99.999% of the player pool disagree with Daniel...

As Rainman wrote, nothing personal between Polk and Negreanu... This whole thing between them begun when Negreanu defended PokerStars steep increase in rake, saying that was good for the game... Needless to say, Polk and 99.999% of the player pool disagree with Daniel...
See that's exactly why I think Doug hates Daniel. Because what Daniel said made some sense. But instead of simply disagreeing and saying something like "Interesting point, Dan, but rakes are ALWAYS bad," Doug instead jumped all over it and blew it up and made a big huge deal about it. The way Doug inflated the whole thing makes me feel like he doesn't like Daniel and he's a little to eager to put him in his place.

See that's exactly why I think Doug hates Daniel. Because what Daniel said made some sense. But instead of simply disagreeing and saying something like "Interesting point, Dan, but rakes are ALWAYS bad," Doug instead jumped all over it and blew it up and made a big huge deal about it. The way Doug inflated the whole thing makes me feel like he doesn't like Daniel and he's a little to eager to put him in his place.

How is more rake better?

How is more rake better?

Daniel's point was that when the rake is lowered in low stakes games, it encourages pro's to play those lower stakes, and those pros fleece the joehomegameplayers. By keeping the rake higher at those low stakes tables, the pro's stay away, so even though joehomegameplayer will lose more to the rake, they're more likely to be winning hands and having a good experience.

Daniel's point was that when the rake is lowered in low stakes games, it encourages pro's to play those lower stakes, and those pros fleece the joehomegameplayers. By keeping the rake higher at those low stakes tables, the pro's stay away, so even though joehomegameplayer will lose more to the rake, they're more likely to be winning hands and having a good experience.

I'm aware of the point he has made, as the main PokerStars player sponsor... When the amount of money being sent from the tables to the Service Provider, specially in a situation of monopoly like PS, increases substantially, every player looses... Daniel is basically equating rake, with an entry-barrier for good/better players... It's getting to a point absolutely no-one will be able to win consistently but PokerStars...

I'm aware of the point he has made, as the main PokerStars player sponsor... When the amount of money being sent from the tables to the Service Provider, specially in a situation of monopoly like PS, increases substantially, every player looses... Daniel is basically equating rake, with an entry-barrier for good/better players... It's getting to a point absolutely no-one will be able to win consistently but PokerStars...

I agree with this assessment 100%.

The real problem with higher rake is that it's felt by everybody. Regardless of whether or not pros are at the table, players will have to addon (or reload) more frequently to accommodate the higher rake. Because, let's be honest, if money's being taken off the table, it's going to have to be replenished sooner or later... and that replenishing comes out of the players' pockets.

I think D-Neg's entire logic was crap. But he's sponsored by PS, so he had to throw a positive spin on it somehow.

I dunno. Daniel seems to take his role as an ambassador of the game pretty seriously. And he's always eager to speak his mind, especially when he thinks poker players are getting screwed. And as one of the most popular players in the world, I'm pretty sure he'd have no problem replacing poker stars as a sponsor.

Maybe I'm just naive because I'm a fan, but I believe Daniel believes what he's saying, and he's not just shilling for his sponsor.

I dunno. Daniel seems to take his role as an ambassador of the game pretty seriously. And he's always eager to speak his mind, especially when he thinks poker players are getting screwed. And as one of the most popular players in the world, I'm pretty sure he'd have no problem replacing poker stars as a sponsor.

Maybe I'm just naive because I'm a fan, but I believe Daniel believes what he's saying, and he's not just shilling for his sponsor.

I think Negreanu is well intentioned, he's just wrong. I'm not trying to shit talk him here, I like him personally. I've played with him several times. He's a great guy from my interactions with him, and a great player. I just think that he either didn't think it through well enough, or is just naive about what would actually happen to those games. If rake increases, driving out the "pros", making the games softer, then guess who comes back to those games? The same "pros" that just left because of the rake. It's a catch-22.

Sometimes people just talk out their asses. Even intelligent, well intentioned people. Like me, Negreanu talks more than most people in general, so he's bound to put his foot in his mouth more often than most as well. People just want to create drama out of non issues because there ain't shit happening in the poker world right now. Doug, another great player, is just trying to boost his social media presence by click baiting. It's working. Put the two of them on the same table together though, and they'll get along great IMO. It's difficult to truly dislike Negreanu. I don't see that happening. He's a fun guy to talk to and play with regardless of whether he's winning or losing.

I think Negreanu is well intentioned, he's just wrong. I'm not trying to shit talk him here, I like him personally. I've played with him several times. He's a great guy from my interactions with him, and a great player. I just think that he either didn't think it through well enough, or is just naive about what would actually happen to those games. If rake increases, driving out the "pros", making the games softer, then guess who comes back to those games? The same "pros" that just left because of the rake. It's a catch-22.

Sometimes people just talk out their asses. Even intelligent, well intentioned people. Like me, Negreanu talks more than most people in general, so he's bound to put his foot in his mouth more often than most as well. People just want to create drama out of non issues because there ain't shit happening in the poker world right now. Doug, another great player, is just trying to boost his social media presence by click baiting. It's working. Put the two of them on the same table together though, and they'll get along great IMO. It's difficult to truly dislike Negreanu. I don't see that happening. He's a fun guy to talk to and play with regardless of whether he's winning or losing.

See, I like this. I'm not saying Daniel's right or wrong, I'm just saying I think he's genuine. And I'm saying I think Polk could have disagreed with him without making such a big production out of it. That, combined with the way he criticized one of Daniel's hands in one of his videos made me think he doesn't like Daniel, or he's got a chip on his shoulder for him, or something.

See, I like this. I'm not saying Daniel's right or wrong, I'm just saying I think he's genuine. And I'm saying I think Polk could have disagreed with him without making such a big production out of it. That, combined with the way he criticized one of Daniel's hands in one of his videos made me think he doesn't like Daniel, or he's got a chip on his shoulder for him, or something.

I don't get that impression. I think he's just having some fun by giving him shit. Both players seem like stand up guys to me. Which is more than I can say for a lot of the other pros I've played with (although I've never played with Polk, I've only watched his videos and seen a few TV sessions with him).

I can't stand him. I just gave him another try based on this thread.

NOPE.

I rarely go for schadenfreude, but he just posted a vid, turning 3k into like ten bucks... :confused:

I wanted to adjust my opinion.

He has managed to grow on me a bit. Also, there is no denying his ability. Then I saw this video yesterday...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom