Your thoughts on 'special' design cards? (1 Viewer)

Gurkenhobel

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Just got my set of Copag EPOC and already got a set of Mindrax Cards (picture below). Thinking about buying a set of Hoyle transparent cards, because I really like the opportunity to bring some kind of variety to our home game. Some members of my poker group really like them, others just find them to confusing and want 'traditional' ones.

What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• 1666121944362.jpg
    1666121944362.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 121
My concern with heavily colored cards (like the ones in your post) is that they will show wear extremely quickly - especially if they are Copag. From a style perspective, everyone is comfortable with standard-style playing cards, and any deviance opens the door to complaints. The more players you have, the more risks you invite. The same goes for cards featuring scantily-dressed women, nudes, or even zombies (I've seen all three, been given a few decks, but will never put them in play unless it is a very small game).

I like the look of those black cards, but would never use them myself.

Do what you like. As long as you’re using cards with clear, unmistakable pips and as long as you’re switching out your decks as soon as they show signs of wear, I don’t think anything else matters.

Edit: oh those black cards are awful. Please no.

If you and your players like them that is what counts. I am going to have to side with the guys that want more traditional look. If you want to add some sparkle what about Copag 1546 Neoteric?

From personal experience...

All of my efforts trying to introduce little diversity into cards I played with my friends ended in fiasco
I tried 4 color decks (Copag) , poker peek decks (Modiano and Kem).

My only success was to switch from poker size to bridge.

From personal experience...

All of my efforts trying to introduce little diversity into cards I played with my friends ended in fiasco
I tried 4 color decks (Copag) , poker peek decks (Modiano and Kem).

My only success was to switch from poker size to bridge.
^^ exactly this. Long ago, I tried a variety of different decks, including those in @surfik's post above plus both the black and clear cards in the OP. Also tried round cards.

All were complete failures. Each and every one.

We now use bridge-size jumbo index almost exclusively.

To jump on as well, I find trying to get fancy with cards as being a bad move. One Halloween game years ago I decided to mix things up and tried using Bicycle's Tragic Royalty to fit the Halloween season. They lasted only a few rotations as no one could read the cards.

My only suggestion on cards is to move to jumbo index if you haven't already. Your older players will thank you. ;)

1018404_uspcc_2_365x500.jpg

Last edited:
Yes 100% plastic. They are produced by PokerStars but manufactured by Fournier
Not entirely sure but that might be cards shown in old PokerStars add, one with Jennifer Harman.
Nice catch...
You bought single deck or they are available in quantity?

Anyway show us backs.

They are available in quantity and I took two decks (bridge only). It offers 3 different backs. Not everyone will find them beautiful.

Attachments

• 9410322B-05D2-4511-8C3C-79455084ED21.png
    9410322B-05D2-4511-8C3C-79455084ED21.png
    1 MB · Views: 56
  • 3B082579-4C9B-4D1B-848C-A1FCB14065BE.jpeg
    3B082579-4C9B-4D1B-848C-A1FCB14065BE.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 71F2D45B-DB83-478A-B85B-8E33B905E57F.jpeg
    71F2D45B-DB83-478A-B85B-8E33B905E57F.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 58

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom