You Know You're Getting Older When.... (1 Viewer)

UW85

Pair
Supporter
Reaction score
Good lord...just had one of "those moments". A couple times I've wanted to Preview my post before hitting the post button to be sure things looked like I wanted them to but alas, no preview button. I was going to post a question about it...mind you this is just today, but figured I should do a search first and BAM there was the answer!

In an old thread I had started last year. Ugh. BTW, the answer was that I was using the "quick reply" box, which has no preview, vs selecting "Reply To Thread" or "go advanced" -- I'm writing this again so when I search for the same thing next week I'll have twice the chance of finding it. Geesh.

So, thought it might be funny to hear from others on their Senior Moments! I hardly think 52 yrs old (me) is considered a senior, but apparently AARP does. For anyone who turns 50 that is one envelope you don't like to see arrive in the mail.

I think it is less about the age, and more about the quantity of info that we are exposed to these days - news, social media, discussions, etc...

we cannot always remember all of it i guess

I find as I get older (41 next month) I spend a lot more time thinking about the hereafter.

As in, I'll walk into a room, and then say to myself: What was I here after?

;)

WOW !!!! At almost 73, these replies make me feel good.....

Well, this year the living room stereo broke, simply wouln't turn on. Its a common problem the internet said, so I opened it up and replaced part "C4" on the power board. Still nothing. Time to upgrade to the latest HDMI/Airplay/whatever. Spent $400. Love the new Denon, its been great.

I finally get around to putting the old Yamaha on the bench to see what's wrong.... What's this? A button I've never seen before? Called "Master Power"?!!

All I can do is laugh

Names. I've always been bad with names so I'm not sure that has anything to do with getting older.

Several years ago I'd leave my desk to go ask the office manager something (40 feet down a hall and hang a right). I'd pause next to her desk trying to remember what it was and just keep walking completing the loop back to my office. She would say as I kept on walking "you're too young for this!" It's better now that I actually have to go down a hall and down a flight of stairs before I get there. For some reason the extra time keeps me from forgetting (?).

That said, I live via post-it notes. When I think of something I scratch it down and off I go.

My poor hockey-abused knee... that's a totally different story and getting old is only part of the story with that one.

Last edited:
You know you're getting old when you visit the surgeon more than a dentist per year. At 38 I was diagnosed with a bunch of places I have arthritis and can expect not to move too well in the coming years. More troubling perhaps are the eyebrows that at this new stage of life, don't fall out but just keep growing until they resemble whiskers....

Oh. And nose hairs....

Last edited:
When you're young, you do incredible things that should have resulted in serious injury, but a few moments later you were right back at it. Hockey, football, BMX bikes, skateboarding, you get the picture.

When you're old, any attempt to do those same activities would look pathetic, and you would pull 6 muscles before you even got the chance to get injured - but that's ok, because the injury you sustained while you were young... yeah, it hurts now.

When it takes multiple efforts and a good couple of minutes just to get up off the floor.

EVERY morning is a 10 minute struggle to force my seized musculature to loosen just enough for me to hobble to the bathroom for a piss. Once that is out of the way, I can actually almost straighten up completely. Poker Zombie is correct about youthful idiocy coming back to haunt, as my wrists sound like maracas (thank you lacrosse), my knees provide a backing track to the wrists (hockey/lacrosse), and my back reminds me every morning and night what an idiot I was when I was younger.

What was this thread about again?...........I know I was going to post something.......

But seriously, I can empathise with most of the things mentioned already - knackered knee which takes 10 minutes to get moving on cold mornings, bad back, first visit in 18 years to the doctor this year (I wasn't even on their computer system!).

Either I won the genetic lottery, or my decades of being fat & lazy have saved my body from the wear and tear that most inflict in their 20s and 30s. I turn 45 next month and will be running my first marathon in January, and so far I've been injury-free in training. Please note that when I say "running," I really mean "walking about 75% of the way, fast-shuffling 24%, and running like a wounded antelope with a lion on my ass for the last 100 yards to the finish line."

Like AD, I've always been bad with names and only remember things thanks to notes/lists/calendar, so that's nothing new. I started losing my hard-earned tolerance for large quantities of alcohol in my mid-20s, and over the last year I've noticed a decline in my close vision. I'm myopic and used to just read through my glasses, but now I have to take them off or I can't focus on close print.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom