You guys know that magic erasers aren't actually magical, right? (3 Viewers)

Just been busy last few days going through some of my singles and getting adventurous with some old ones that have alot of "stuff" on them.

I wanted to share the results of Magic Eraser on my dirtiest chip. I also had a Sundance $1 that was also disgusting, had what looked like pancakes boogers on it, but cleaned up like new....wish I'd taken the pre shotView attachment 416737

Here is my dirtiest Chip..a hot stamp little Caesar's frac..after an intense dawn and scrub routine..dry and repeat...View attachment 416738

Had to up the game to Magic Eraser...the results are astounding..you can see the area that has received cleaning..
View attachment 416739

All done...same chip????
View attachment 416741
Did you scrub part of the stamp off?

Jeevan.....

Did you scrub part of the stamp off?

Jeevan.....
Yes, it was my first time working a stamp. Got a bit too carried away. Feel bad, but the chip at least looks a lot better. But ya...:(

Messed up this chip. No more stamps with the eraser, at least not with the reckless abandon I had .

Yes, it was my first time working a stamp. Got a bit too carried away. Feel bad, but the chip at least looks a lot better. But ya...:(

Messed up this chip. No more stamps with the eraser, at least not with the reckless abandon I had .
Live and learn....but remember you used your spare life. Next time wont be so lucky..... :bag::p

was using one yesterday on a rack and only once noticed color transfer ending up on the magic eraser. normally when I use it I get a little bit of whatever color that chip is on the magic eraser itself. I think that’s a good sign to see how deep it’s going.

was using one yesterday on a rack and only once noticed color transfer ending up on the magic eraser. normally when I use it I get a little bit of whatever color that chip is on the magic eraser itself. I think that’s a good sign to see how deep it’s going.
I have that exact same experience. I did have a blue Sundance chip that gave up some yellowy grossness. I suspect this was not the chip but other more menacing biological residue ..aka..."hooker juice":nailbite:

Oh some people are just gross. Like you get a chip that's brown and when you clean it it's actually yellow. And you're like, excuse me, did you blow your nose and wipe your butt with this and forget it was in your hand?

Never try to guess at the base colour of a Paulson chip (or any other chip, for that matter) until you've cleaned it. I've been wrong on the base colour quite a few times after it came out of the ultrasonic in much better condition.

I found this Empress $1 in my cabinet..
IMG_20200303_123857.jpg

and the dawn wasn't doing a thing...
IMG_20200303_124038.jpg

I applied the magic eraser and it made the chip so pretty.. couldn't get the stain in the right corner off entirely, but you see the difference
IMG_20200303_124405.jpg

Magic Eraser
Mystic eraser
Mystical eraser

Probably many other brands I don't know about...

All of them, with size and variation differences aside, are melamine sponge pads

EDIT : melamine = formaldehyde-melamine-sodium bisulfite

I performed some statistical hypothesis tests with these. I set it up with the null hypothesis as "Magic Eraser sponges do not have magical powers". My p-value was 0.00000316. Huh, what do ya know? Magic!

With a p value like that, we need to seriously look at your methodology.

While they do work like magic to remove grime, I started noticing after a while they also remove the cross hatching like others have said. Like the Aztar $1 above for example. You clearly see the cross hatching lines if you look at the purple spots in pic 1 (dirty). 2nd pic, I see no lines any more. It looks like they've been totally scrubbed/sanded off. Unless it's just a bad picture.

(I realise the grime makes them easier to see to begin with, but in person you do notice with every few scrubs the lines disappear more and more.)

Once I started noticing that, I pretty much stopped using the sponges.

So keep an eye on the cross hatching.

While they do work like magic to remove grime, I started noticing after a while they also remove the cross hatching like others have said. Like the Aztar $1 above for example. You clearly see the cross hatching lines if you look at the purple spots in pic 1 (dirty). 2nd pic, I see no lines any more. It looks like they've been totally scrubbed/sanded off. Unless it's just a bad picture.

(I realise the grime makes them easier to see to begin with, but in person you do notice with every few scrubs the lines disappear more and more.)

That may be. Not sure. I've cleaned alot of chips and not noticed a problem.

That said, I am cleaning only the odd single here and there and then either capping it or putting into a display.

As well, this final picture I took was a bad blurry photo. Impossible to determine.

I packed the chip up as it's a surprise gift to another user. Once he receives it, I'll ask him.

Thanks Rene, I may have damaged a few of my chips in this manner perhaps. However, for my purposes, they are on display and it's not noticable.

That may be. Not sure. I've cleaned alot of chips and not noticed a problem.

That said, I am cleaning only the odd single here and there and then either capping it or putting into a display.

As well, this final picture I took was a bad blurry photo. Impossible to determine.

I packed the chip up as it's a surprise gift to another user. Once he receives it, I'll ask him.

Thanks Rene, I may have damaged a few of my chips in this manner perhaps. However, for my purposes, they are on display and it's not noticable.
I clean most of my chips (not cleaned in an ultra) with a magic eraser and it 100% does remove some of the clay since the color of the chip will end up on the magic eraser. If you however make sure the magic eraser stays constantly damp and use Dawn on the eraser, I’ve found the hatching will not change to the naked eye even for really grimy chips. The reason for the large difference in the photos above is 1) grime gets in between the hatch grooves so dark grime on a light chip will make the cross hatching much more noticeable due to the contrast in colors so when cleaned there’s significantly less of a contrast (same idea as how lighting from the side of a new chip will seem to enhance the cross hatching) and 2) if you look at the second photo it seems to be slightly less focused (compare smallest lettering on both of the inlays).

So, I have just started my first chip cleaning experience. I ain’t easy, that’s for sure. I am using magic eraser and seems to work well, but I just went thru a box of 4 ME pads for just 55 chips. I didn’t realize that when they say magic eraser they meant the sponge pad. Haha. Is this typical?

Also, I tried the toothbrush, but the ME pads work better I think.

Attachments

• 59741064-6A25-4034-AD58-64B34785EA56.jpeg
    59741064-6A25-4034-AD58-64B34785EA56.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 101
So, I have just started my first chip cleaning experience. I ain’t easy, that’s for sure. I am using magic eraser and seems to work well, but I just went thru a box of 4 ME pads for just 55 chips. I didn’t realize that when they say magic eraser they meant the sponge pad. Haha. Is this typical?

You don't need to use the magic eraser pads as the main cleaner. Usually Dawn dish soap and an old soft-bristle toothbrush will do. Only use magic eraser for permanent colour transfer spots or anything that doesn't get clean any other way.

Have you tried soaking them in TSP or TSP substitute?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom