X-mold md-28 (1 Viewer)

Marius L

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
Anyone have any info on this mold? MD-28 according to eisenstadts website, but unfortunately there's not really any more info on there. Anyone has a set /singles /any info at all about who produced them?

I found a small set on FB marketplace a year or so ago, and the seller didn't know the background of where they came from. These are blanks, small set with 40+ of each color, yellow, white, blue and red.

20210404123723__MG_7936.JPG

20210404122728__MG_7914.JPG
20210404122847__MG_7917.JPG
20210404122924__MG_7919.JPG
20210404123020__MG_7921.JPG

20210404123132__MG_7924.JPG

They all weigh a little over 8g each.

DSC_0667.JPG
DSC_0668.JPG
DSC_0670.JPG
DSC_0669.JPG

Yours are the first Ive ever seen and those look as perfect as could be. Cool mold, and nice find.

I do not. I believe I sold them to @RussB42. I did the same as you and looked them up on Robert's (RIP) site, but that's the only info I ever got. Very cool chips.

Side note - does anyone know if someone is taking over Robert's site? Such an amazing wealth of knowledge. Perhaps @David Spragg would know?

I do not. I believe I sold them to @RussB42. I did the same as you and looked them up on Robert's (RIP) site, but that's the only info I ever got. Very cool chips.

Side note - does anyone know if someone is taking over Robert's site? Such an amazing wealth of knowledge. Perhaps @David Spragg would know?
I believe it was said that his family would keep the website up, but I don’t think that included updating it with new information.

I believe it was said that his family would keep the website up, but I don’t think that included updating it with new information.
sadly, this usually only lasts a few years. I've seen numerous great information repository websites vanish into the ether after the owner dies. Family members who have no passion for the subject dont see the point of paying for the webhosting for very long.

Absolutely agree. Glad to hear the family will keep the site up, but hopefully it will be passed on to someone knowledgeable and enthusiastic about this that can keep expanding as new info is uncovered.

Anyways, would be cool to see other sets/singles with this mold. I think it looks pretty cool

Yep, I got them, and have been wondering where I got them.

Do ya remember about when I got them?

There isn't any other info about them that I know of .

Russ

Yep, I got them, and have been wondering where I got them.

Do ya remember about when I got them?

There isn't any other info about them that I know of .

Russ
Date of classified was September 12, 2018

They are very interesting and in surprisingly good condition. They could - as is the case with many other molds - be manufactured by the Burt Co. who in such case would have produced them for a distributor.

I wonder if CPC still has the mold in their inventory, there are other usable molds, such as the floral mold, that they have in storage, but don't offer due to ownership issues or other reasons.

Very cool chips. Would make a great set.

From what I have been able to research, the X mold was originally owned by a gambling supply distributor and dice manufacturer called White’s Club Room Equipment (Cincinnati, Ohio). They first show up in the Cincinnati directory in 1943 but may be older than that. They used the X, Dot, Diamond Square, and Lazy Diamond molds.

In 1952, Rigdon & Co. (Club Room Equipment) buys out White’s and Rigdon gets ownership of some of White’s molds. Rigdon dates back in Cincinnati to the 1940s, but 1952 is when they probably get ownership of the X-mold. They even move into White’s old factory and office.

Most of the above is from postings by Roy Klein, who is active on the ChipBoard, and has done a lot of research on the two companies. I think he might live in the area. Here is one of his excellent posts on the topic; http://www.thechipboard.com/archives/archives.pl/bid/325/md/read/id/1538341

My impression is that the X-mold was mainly used by White’s between 1940 and 1952. Rigdon gets ownership of the mold, but it never shows up in their catalogs. The chips seem to have most often been used for illegal gambling in Ohio and Kentucky. When they show up, its often in Ohio, such as this chip that @wolfpack found last year; https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/old-compression-molds.60592/

Early chips would have been made by the USPC Co. until 1947, and by the Burt Co. afterwards. CPC, the descendent of the Burt company, no longer has the mold cups. Jim Blanchard in a post from 2001 explained that the mold was returned to Rigdon in 1982, who threw out the cups. From what I understand, Marion and Co. buys Rigdon in the 1980s, but Rigdon had already destroyed their and White's order records.
http://www.thechipboard.com/archive...sbj/chip-mold-question-or-having-trouble-dat/

Getting large quantities of virgin chips on any proprietary mold, such as the X mold, that never became a public open mold is quite the score. To prevent counterfeiting, they typically didn't let these get out. Nice chips.

Last edited:
@MegaTon44 Can I ask where you where you found that X-mold chip hoard? Do you know anything more about the history of those CE hot stamp chips?
Hey Jeff, apologies, I do not have many details. I will say that they were found in suburban Philadelphia and the owner said they belonged to his grandfather, who claimed that the case wasn't opened since the 70s.

I'm still going to Mill the 600 I have and label them someday.

At 79, may not have toooo many more days to get'r done.

I may just sell everything else and just do it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom