WWYD? Guy messes w/ your card protector during all in moment... (1 Viewer)

Trihonda

Straight Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
OK, here's the deal, I'm wondering how you might have handled or felt about a situation that occurred last night. Note: As I write this, I've had very little sleep over the last two nights. I can barely see straight, but this hand was weighing on me, so I wanted to write it out.

Background:

Playing 1/2 at my local bar game. Cast of characters is a bunch of crafty degens. These tables are often very agro, opening for $12-20. 15 mins earlier, I was felted by a drunk/high hyper spewy kid. In that instance, this kid announced he was cashing out, but since cards were dealt to him as he was racking up, he was gonna play the hand. It was a major suckout, but that's not part of the story. Prior to that hand, he grabs my cased Par-A-Dice 1000 chip card protector and fondles it and then tosses it back. Aside from getting felted (oh well), I am NOT a fan of someone (especially some that I don't know) grabbing anything from my stack area w/o permission, especially not my card protector. I'm not overly superstitious, but to many people, card protectors can also be good luck charms, etc... To me, my card protector symbolizes more of a routine, and maybe a bit of zen/run good (not sure how to explain it). It's protecting MY hand... Suffice it to say, after the guy felts me (and another player), he finished cashing out (for $900) and hits the door.

A new guy takes his place (another hyper villain, who announces he really likes action tables, and chose our table over the 2nd cash table that's running). I make an announcement to the table (friendly banter) that if anyone else touches my card protector, I'm going to "punch them squarely in the jaw", and joke that he touched my card protector, and then sucked out runner runner against me... The table laughs, but there's a serious note in my message, that it wasn't cool to grab my sh!t...

OK, fast forward a couple orbits, I've recovered nicely and am now sitting on around $380 on a total BI of $240. I'm on the button and joke that the book I'm reading says you're supposed to play aggressive on the button. The new agro guy (directly to my right) opens for $12 (I don't really put him on anything strong), and I look down at a sexy :ac::qc:. I raise to $25, and our hyper dude calls. I don't think he puts me on anything due to my pre-hand button statement.

Flop comes :ks::7d::3c: and hyper dude (who I read doesn't see anything on the flop he likes) checks. I C-Bet for $40, and Hyper dude looks like he's strategizing. He's either got a monster or nothing IMHO. He announces raise, but doesn't seem overly confident (is he acting?). Anyway, he goes all-on, and after calling my $40, he has $95 behind. The dealer counts his stack, and announces it's $95 to call. I start to replay the hand, his actions, etc... in my head. The table is quiet, awaiting my action. Here's where it gets interesting...

Another hyper lag from across the table (he's currently standing nearby drinking a beer), reaches over the table and grabs my card protector and says "hey, what's this?".. Now, I'm not sure this hyper lag was at the table during my prior speech (he was probably at the bar getting a drink, not sure). The whole table erupts, people's eyes bug out, almost as if they all expect me to fly across the table, grab this guy, and start to pound the crap out of him (which I would never do, it's just poker). However, truth be told, this did completely interrupt my thought process and send me into a hot-head moment for a few seconds, like WTF? I try to regain my thought composure and refocus on the hand, but the moment escapes me, and I'm having a hard time focusing at the moment (yes, very little sleep, my fault, I get it). When I am faced with hard poker decisions, and I don't have a solid read or there's some negative karma/action ongoing, I often opt to fold and pic spots were I have a better read or position. I frustratingly muck my hand (I was close to calling), and the hyper villain shows the bluff with :jc::9d:.

Now, I didn't cause any sort of ruckus at moment, but the table announced that they really thought dude was gonna get his butt kicked, and he sorta apologized by saying he had no idea I had announced not to touch my card protector (should I need to announce it?). I blew it off, as getting all pissy about something that has already passed, only will hurt my chances at making good table decisions in the hands that followed... The dealer told me after the game broke that he was pissed at the dude, since regardless of the ju ju and superstitious crap of a card protector, there was all-on action, and I was facing a big decision, and this guy rudely interrupted the hand by grabbing my card protector (which I might add, was on top of my :ac::qc:). Had I made the call, my stack would have likely been +$225.

In this instance, would anyone have flown over the table and punched this guy? Would anyone care? WWYD?

Is it a big deal for folks (strangers) to reach over to your chip stack and pick up your card protector to examine it? Again, I don't really mind, so long as people ask, as then it gives me an opportunity to talk about nice poker chips :)

In my experience if you have an interesting card protector its like driving a bright red Lambo. Every dude wants to come up and look at it or touch it. I stopped using anything but one of my in play chips to cover cards. Not so much at my home game but the bar league I played in for awhile everyone always wanted to look at it.

I agree with Mr. Cheese. If you have an interesting or unusual card protector on the table, chances are that other players will want to see it.

If something like this usually rattles you, then don't put anything on the table and use a chip from your stack as a card protector. If it's just because you were over tired, there's not much you can do but let it go.

Gamblers are known to be suspicious by nature.

tl;dr

isn't this the second time you've had an issue with someone messing with your card protector at a game like this?

In my experience if you have an interesting card protector its like driving a bright red Lambo. Every dude wants to come up and look at it or touch it. I stopped using anything but one of my in play chips to cover cards. Not so much at my home game but the bar league I played in for awhile everyone always wanted to look at it.

I agree with this.
Different strokes for different folks, though.
I also have a habit of keeping one hand on my cards when I'm in a hand. Maybe this would deter the drunk/curious type.

You're making a big deal over it. I guess you can't change how you feel but it happens all the time and should be expected, more so in a bar league I would think. Most people ask to see a card protector, some don't. Sounds like first guy tilted you.

Not cool during all-in, but he may have been drunk or unthinking.

I see two problems in the OP.

1. You think a suited A/Q is sexy? WTF? ;)

2. With your statement "i'm gonna punch the next dude that touches my card protector". Your kind of inviting someone to touch it. I know I would be tempted to after an invite like that.

I think you slightly overreacted. When you play at a bar poker game. Odds are there will be drunk, stupid, or drunkstupid players to deal with. Blow it off, ask him not to fucking do it again and move onto the next hand.

Definitely rude, definitely not something to punch someone over.

The price you pay for finding a juicy game full of drunks is that you have to deal with a bunch of stupid drunks.

Oh, and he did this deliberately to mess with you because you complained about it earlier.

It's certainly not ok to touch another players card protector without permission during a hand. Players are responsible for their cards and a card protector ensures this. Other players removing this insurance could lead to inadvertently mucked or exposed cards.

However, it's also not ok to immediately punch the guy for doing it. Ask the floor or dealer to handle the situation and focus on your decision at hand. Of course this would all make me really angry as well, but I think the +ev / +life move is to just move on.

Degens play poker, hope for the best but expect the worst in types of behavior, nothing should be shocking at a local bar game

The pro golfer knows to never respond to a heckler, because it's an open invitation for others to heckle.
This bar/poker sounds like it may require a similar rule.

tl;dr

isn't this the second time you've had an issue with someone messing with your card protector at a game like this?

Honestly don't recall. You might be referring to someone knocking over people's chip stacks at the table?

I don't mind discussion about the card protector, or people wanting to see it. No biggie if people are curious and want to see it. I'm proud of my chip-nerdiness, and I'm also fairly social at the table (I'm not a hermit crab hiding under a hoodie, sunglasses, and headphones). If people chat it up, that's cool.

However, I think during an all-in moment like that, this guy was out of line. Doesn't matter if it's picking up a card protector, or whatever, timing was awful.

Not to mention, grabbing anyone's stuff (from their chip stack area) w/o permission isn't kosher IMHO. I was raised to respect people's space and stuff. Don't just grab (ask first please). Just because some people might be rude, it doesn't make poor etiquette acceptable IMHO.

Anyway, I'm gonna try to take a nice looong nap now. :) I'm sure it will solve everything wrong with the world...

Footnote to why I'm tired...

Previous day at work, started at 6am, worked until after midnight (yup, that's 18 hours) dealing with a teenie woman who stabbed a huge guy in the neck with a pen. Now, one might think it was self defense, but this lady was straight up trying to get dude sent to jail. She was caught on video starting the whole thing, and facebook messages from her phone show she actually threatened him ahead of time saying she was going to try to get him sent to jail, lol... Funny part was, the big dude didn't report the pen incident, and it was only discovered when she called to press charges that he tried to choke her out at their workplace (ya, false)... Criminals are so smart, lol... Anyway, got to sleep at 1am, up for work at 5am, worked 12 hours yesterday, but couldn't sleep last night... so I played cards until 1am. Meh session that ended even, and then my kiddos get me up "extra" early this morning, lol. :)

OK, thanks for letting me vent about life, cards, drunks, and giant orange chips. Damn, I get so tired, I can't sleep. Gross... :(

Sat Night Ending Chipstack.jpg

It wouldn't bother me, but I'm not hyper sensitive. I also would have made more than a min raise too....

Anyway, good luck.

Mark

No one should be touching your chips or putting their hands anywhere near your cards (or card protector). However, bar game and lots of alcohol, so not unexpected because you're going to be dealing with people who are used to a much more relaxed setup and or have less inhibitions about personal space, property and etiquette.

Now, in my own home games, once I've become friendly with someone I've had them knock my chips down and I've done the same to them. But a complete stranger? No, not cool

[snip] ...dealing with a teenie woman who stabbed a huge guy in the neck with a pen.

Why? Did he try to touch her card protector?

Footnote to why I'm tired...
Previous day at work, started at 6am, worked until after midnight (yup, that's 18 hours) ...[snip]... Anyway, got to sleep at 1am, up for work at 5am, worked 12 hours yesterday, but couldn't sleep last night... so I played cards until 1am. Meh session that ended even, and then my kiddos get me up "extra" early this morning

Seriously glad I don't live in your town.

Alternatively, you could begin wearing this t-shirt and follow through, just make sure you kick em "squaw" in the nuts

IMG_1206.jpg

lol, honestly, must be a slow day on PCF if this is the hot topic.

2642338-4266061320-offic.jpg

2. With your statement "i'm gonna punch the next dude that touches my card protector". Your kind of inviting someone to touch it. I know I would be tempted to after an invite like that.

This. If i was at your table (assuming it wasn't a regular friendly home game, etc...) I would leverage this to needle the absolute balls off of you. I probably wouldn't touch it, but if i thought i could throw you off your game I would very likely not shut up about your card protector and such for the better part of an hour.

That said. That dude was way out of line.

Another hyper lag from across the table (he's currently standing nearby drinking a beer), reaches over the table and grabs my card protector and says "hey, what's this?"..

I guess the only correct resolution here is the next time you see this guy out with his wife go over and grab her ample bosoms and exclaim "hey, what's this?"

I guess the only correct resolution here is the next time you see this guy out with his wife go over and grab her ample bosoms and exclaim "hey, what's this?"

This reminds me of an Artie Lange joke:

A midget told me the other day that calling him a midget is the same as calling a black guy the n-word. So the next day I went out and tried both and let me tell you there's a huge fucking difference.

I doubt you would have gotten mad had you won either hand. It sucks that the guy ruined your train of thought on hand number two, but I'm sure it was innocent and he probably saw the cool looking thing and didn't even realize you had a tough decision to make (which in reality wasn't even that tough of a decision, I mean the guy bluffed you, and credit to him, but all you could beat was a bluff).

I'm sure its frustrating, but playing in a bar with drunk people will lead to suck outs and people picking up your card protector at times. It will also be +ev in the long term if you play solid poker, which it seems like you do, so just keep telling yourself that when something happens that may frustrate or tilt you, and maybe you can relax and have more fun at the table.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom