WTF is wrong with me?? (1 Viewer)

@Eriks... the only thing wrong with you is that you're human... so join the club!

Mankind is wired for relationships. Stuff doesn't ever give us lasting joy. It just lures us in with the illusion of fulfillment, and then it leaves us empty-handed.

As @Ben8257, @FordPickup92 and others have pointed out, the real joy of this hobby comes from the moments we have together. There is also thrill in the hunt, and it can be quite fun to express ourselves creatively, as many have mentioned with custom chips and so on.

For me, I go in and out of the binge and purge cycle as a chipper. When I've been a gluttonous pig, I feel pretty bad about myself. When I let go of things I had once coveted, whether to friend or stranger, it liberates me and gives me peace of mind that is missing during the binge phase.

I am not always able to hold back the monster in me, but when I put in a concerted effort to help others, perhaps finding chips they've been struggling after, it gives me so much more enjoyment than any selfish pursuit could ever provide.

I think we all have a dark side. My PCF name is representative of this concept.

View attachment 773494

For some people, the hobby might run its course and lose its luster. For me, it's the lasting friendships that keep me going.

How do you combat all of this negativity? Play some poker. Help a friend. Help a stranger. Design cool chips and goodies. Sell stuff, when you need to combat the monster. Take a longer break, when you need a full reset. You may come back stronger than ever, or maybe you just need something else in your life. Either way, it's all about relationships IMHO.

Thank you @Eriks for starting this discussion. You are not alone in your struggles. Godspeed on your quest to finding greater purpose and meaning.

@Steppenwolf
Great post! Thank you. I think I won’t do a full purge for fear of regretting it later. But it would sure feel good to rid myself of some of the stuff I just have sitting on a shelf. And then try do get the other stuff in play more. Sweden’s lifting most of the covid restrictions at the end of September so there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

@Eriks... the only thing wrong with you is that you're human... so join the club!

Mankind is wired for relationships. Stuff doesn't ever give us lasting joy. It just lures us in with the illusion of fulfillment, and then it leaves us empty-handed.

As @Ben8257, @FordPickup92 and others have pointed out, the real joy of this hobby comes from the moments we have together. There is also thrill in the hunt, and it can be quite fun to express ourselves creatively, as many have mentioned with custom chips and so on.

For me, I go in and out of the binge and purge cycle as a chipper. When I've been a gluttonous pig, I feel pretty bad about myself. When I let go of things I had once coveted, whether to friend or stranger, it liberates me and gives me peace of mind that is missing during the binge phase.

I am not always able to hold back the monster in me, but when I put in a concerted effort to help others, perhaps finding chips they've been struggling after, it gives me so much more enjoyment than any selfish pursuit could ever provide.

I think we all have a dark side. My PCF name is representative of this concept.

View attachment 773494

For some people, the hobby might run its course and lose its luster. For me, it's the lasting friendships that keep me going.

How do you combat all of this negativity? Play some poker. Help a friend. Help a stranger. Design cool chips and goodies. Sell stuff, when you need to combat the monster. Take a longer break, when you need a full reset. You may come back stronger than ever, or maybe you just need something else in your life. Either way, it's all about relationships IMHO.

Thank you @Eriks for starting this discussion. You are not alone in your struggles. Godspeed on your quest to finding greater purpose and meaning.

@Steppenwolf
Extremely well said sir.

Great post! Thank you. I think I won’t do a full purge for fear of regretting it later. But it would sure feel good to rid myself of some of the stuff I just have sitting on a shelf. And then try do get the other stuff in play more. Sweden’s lifting most of the covid restrictions at the end of September so there is some light at the end of the tunnel.
You're welcome @Eriks ! I've never done a full sell-off either. But I have felt pretty damn good selling off things I didn't think I could ever let go of. That specific exercise breaks the bonds of chip slavery, at least in my own limited experience. And it makes room for starting over to an extent. After all, when your storehouses are full, you are not left wanting... so it's harder to be motivated to pursue chips. I've had seller's remorse too. But TBH I'm not sure it was entirely a bad thing to experience. :wow: It helped me to reset my goals and priorities and motivated me to get myself back in the saddle again.

Wait! Sweden has covid restrictions?

;P
Well, here we call them recommendations for some reason but they’re supposed to be adhered to as if they were in fact restrictions. Must be very confusing for the non-native swedes.

I dont even want to know what your sets are worth! but I think it is quite common in any hobby to get a lack of interest for a while. I just had it in the card game I am actively playing in. I took some months off and came back last weekend and won a big tournament and cashed in 6k USD, some of that will help fund my custom set :p

I've also lost some interest.

From my end it's the result of 2 things :
- I have enough sets to cover the games I host and I enjoy the chips
- I don't want to pay the current asked prices - so replacing one of my set by another one I may like more will not happen

If I really needed a new set I'd probably buy a custom one (either CPC, SunFly hybrids, ABC or Matsui).

I could not see myself today even putting together my THC semi-custom set and it's not even 2 years ago I started this project.

But I still like chipping in general and also I like to create ceramic designs. I learnt vectorial design from zero thanks to chipping ! It's just another way I found to be active in the chipping community.

I've also obsessed on completing a great set only to sell it off and start a new project! Sometimes at cost sometimes at small profit to buy something else or at a loss (Usually), I've seen others sell off sets or offer to buy sets with the old ROFR, I've bought a few things and offered this knowing it will keep said set together and seeing that a seller sold for whatever reason mentioning regret. I haven't sold anything and required or asked for ROFR any more as I've seen and been victim to a straight up ignore of or refusal of the ROFR with the seller looking for that profit or using the old buyer B wants them and they're mine so I'm selling them to B. Its a hobby, its a sport ,its fun! (ugh)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom