WSOP ran out of normal starting stack chips for day 1C (1 Viewer)

By my calculations, the total rake was 6%.
I'd be thrilled to play in any tournment where the rake was only 6% - that's less than half of what I'm used to.
You think this should be a not-for-profit event?

I'm not suggesting a not-for-profit venture. Not even remotely.

However, They are actively doing next to nothing to provide a pleasant gaming experience.

It's like spending $100 on a steak dinner, and getting a tough, flavorless steak. At a certain price point, I expect... nay, demand an improved level of service. Yet sheeple keep streaming into the WSOP for a - and I don't say this lightly - the absolute worst professional poker experience you can ever experience.

I've been twice. The first time I thought "well, maybe they missed a few marks". Then I tried again and realised they aren't trying to improve anything more than the bottom line. I don't put it all on Jack Effel (WSOP TD), because I suspect he has little to do with chip counts, chairs, seating, dealers, and even event organization, but someone is responsible for the shit-show that says a meer 9% increase (when 5% is pretty standard) in attendance results in a chip deficiency.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best. Make contingency plans. That's how I host. That's how I hosted for profit conventions. That's how I treat fundraiser events.

Why would you do it differently?

Reactions: Nex
The one year I went to the WSOP and played in a $1,500 event, I got seated in a giant "circus style" tent in a parking lot. Outside temperature was ~110 f (43 c) inside the tent it was ~90 and very humid.

The sweat from the players got on the cards from time to time, making them a little sticky. I'd guess it was worse for the dealers than the players. Everyone was cranky or worse plus the dealers were working with inappropriate card problems.

It was a L O N G ways to the closest bathrooms and then crazy crowded to get in. I am sure the hotel's architect never planned for 1,000+ people to pour into a relatively out of the way bathroom from a parking lot tent. No way to make it to a bathroom and back in the break time.

I can't say I was 100% sad to get knocked out. At least I was out of the tent.

I can definitely confirm they're doing beer levels now so alcoholics seem to no longer be an issue.
Pokergo had this covered every single day so far iirc :p
Not sure if they are comped or not, I saw some players throw some bills on the server's tablet, but couldn't see how much it was - could have been actual payment or just a tip.

It was probably a tip, but I in my experiences
  • Servers were pretty few and far in between (compared to my typical poker room)
  • Not a lot of beer is consumed
  • Nobody was drinking even 1/2 their house rake of $430 per player.
  • Mixed drinks were not available on the floor, but I have seen mixed drinks available on the TV tables. Again, not a lot of drinking on that feature table.

Scotty Nguyen definitely did kill a lot of booze during a smaller Omaha tournament that was available on stream. But yeah, overall tame consumption at the feature table during the main event.

I played the Monster last month and the cocktail service wasn't half bad. I ordered vodka Red Bull and they brought "vodka energy drink" since Rockstar is a sponsor. The server also said they were using Grey Goose. I ordered bloody Mary's sitting at an empty table after I busted from a daily deep stack. All free of charge, just a $1/2 tip.
image.jpeg

I'm not suggesting a not-for-profit venture. Not even remotely.

However, They are actively doing next to nothing to provide a pleasant gaming experience.

It's like spending $100 on a steak dinner, and getting a tough, flavorless steak. At a certain price point, I expect... nay, demand an improved level of service. Yet sheeple keep streaming into the WSOP for a - and I don't say this lightly - the absolute worst professional poker experience you can ever experience.

I've been twice. The first time I thought "well, maybe they missed a few marks". Then I tried again and realised they aren't trying to improve anything more than the bottom line. I don't put it all on Jack Effel (WSOP TD), because I suspect he has little to do with chip counts, chairs, seating, dealers, and even event organization, but someone is responsible for the shit-show that says a meer 9% increase (when 5% is pretty standard) in attendance results in a chip deficiency.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best. Make contingency plans. That's how I host. That's how I hosted for profit conventions. That's how I treat fundraiser events.

Why would you do it differently?
I've never been. If the poker experience was as bad as you and Dr. Strange say, I'm sure I'd feel the same way.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom