WSOP Officially Postponed (1 Viewer)

Can't exactly have a the biggest poker tournament in the world without worldwide flights to bring in the players. Everyone should have seen this coming a long time ago.

Thank you for posting and the link to the article.

Here's hoping the coronavirus will clear up in time to allow the fall edition to run.
"According to a presser issued by the WSOP on April 20, players can still hold out hope for a 2020 edition of the venerable festival, though. Organizers are targeting the fall of 2020 for an adjusted schedule."

Running the online tournaments, and handing out bracelets for those events, when there may likely be zero live events this year is annoying to be. Having a few online tournaments as a sideshow was fine, but if it’s all they e got this year, they should just skip it.

This was expected but I was dreading it...we had hotel and flights already. Now I have to hope I can reschedule all that for an indeterminate amount of time.

Make online poker legal again then we would have record numbers

Happy it’s not cancelled. I run a league and the thought of figuring out what to do with a cancelled event blows up my brain.

Unsurprising, but still disappointing to add to the long list of cancelled or postponed sporting/entertainment events. It almost seems trivial to say, "I miss watching sports (I'll lump watching WSOP into that category), but I don't think it can be underestimated how much normality that can actually bring to peoples everyday life."

In the big picture, there are bigger things to worry about than live poker and live professional Cycling, NHL, MLB, NBA etc, but I will nevertheless rejoice when those things return to my television.

On the bright side, if a WSOP actually does take place this Fall, there's an outside chance I could actually make a long weekend work to get there and experience it live and in person. #positives!

WSOP online only for 2020 wouldn't be the same. If they kept the fees the same they should have enough for taxes/charity/bribes, since they won't have to pay all the dealers and staff.
Open online poker back up already in the US. The fact that I can legally bet horses, "fantasy sports" sites, and buy lottery tickets online while not being allowed to play poker for money is silly. Crazy it has been this long and still no major progress nationwide.

Running the online tournaments, and handing out bracelets for those events, when there may likely be zero live events this year is annoying to be. Having a few online tournaments as a sideshow was fine, but if it’s all they e got this year, they should just skip it.
While I agree with you, I strongly suspect the bracelets have been bought and paid for by now, with the first bracelet event just over a month away. Those bracelets read "2020" on them.

With a box full of bracelets that cost tens, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars, they are going to want to recoup some of those costs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom