WSOP Leagues and the Coronavirus (1 Viewer)

bsdunbar1

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
Any thoughts out there yet on what your WSOP League will do if there are no WSOP games at all?

I have a lot of $$ collected for our league over 9 previous events and need to prepare for what we will do in the event the world series doesn't happen.

Any thoughts out there yet on what your WSOP League will do if there are no WSOP games at all?

My personal, uneducated opinion is that I think the WSOP is going to happen, just on a smaller scale and probably later in the year. If it were me, I would hold the money in escrow until the smoke clears from the pandemic.

Alternatively, you could just issue refunds. Shouldn't be too difficult.

If this helps anyone in a similar situation -

We have 10 in our group playing for $3000 ($1500 for travel, $1500 for a WSOP buy-in)
+ our final 2 events paying the top 2 $200/$125
$3650 total prize pool
We have 2 events left

What we are planning to do for the inevitable WSOP cancellation
  1. Eventually play the remaining 2 events paying out 1st & 2nd as planned
  2. Play out the remaining two games and the points winner gets $1500 as planned
  3. The remaining $1500 allocated for travel will be divided among 2-10 as consolation for losing the opportunity of a share of any of the winners WSOP winnings.

Since we split any prizes 60/40 (group/player), we will likely just split the money out to the winners based on this payout structure. We had three $1,500 buy-in winners so they would each receive $600. There are nine members in the league so their 60% share would each be $300. So the three qualifiers each will get $900 and the other members will get $300. We don't award any travel costs so this is just based on the buy-in prizes. That's about as fair as I can come up with.

Since we split any prizes 60/40 (group/player), we will likely just split the money out to the winners based on this payout structure. We had three $1,500 buy-in winners so they would each receive $600. There are nine members in the league so their 60% share would each be $300. So the three qualifiers each will get $900 and the other members will get $300. We don't award any travel costs so this is just based on the buy-in prizes. That's about as fair as I can come up with.

have you already established your winners though?

I would say hold it for the next WSOP circuit event that happens live, or if Vegas is the selling point of the trip, The Wynn Fall Classic ($1600 event). Bellagio and Venetian also have Fall/Winter series that run into those buy-ins as well.

I would be disappointed in getting the cash though. In part, because I'm a losing player so I'd like to think that a portion of my losses could earn me a windfall. In part because if I magically won, I'd like to parlay that luck into a fear-free freeroll.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom