Would you play live poker with a member on “ignore”? (1 Viewer)

In tennis, I don't mind playing against guys I can't stand -- and it's even better if we win. But to play with someone I don't like as a partner? No way.

Luckily in poker, we usually don't have to play in partnership with anyone. I figure I can stand being seated at a table with anyone who can stand being seated at a table with me.

Even that boisterous anti-Canuck Martino guy...

200.gif

There are a couple people who would keep me from attending, yes.

Would you attend a meetup, or play live poker with someone on your “ignore” list?

I’ve pondered attending some events, but some include members that really bother me. I felt, in my best interest, it was better to stay away. Maybe you don’t have an ignore list, which great. I’m not as thick skinned, and I like the feature.

was curious as to what others think about it.

mark

I am right there with ya.

I even play with people I hate. This made me better player all around. First take your feelings out of the equation. Secondly, no better feeling then watching them packing their stuff and leaving table in quite.

Would you attend a meetup, or play live poker with someone on your “ignore” list?

I’ve pondered attending some events, but some include members that really bother me. I felt, in my best interest, it was better to stay away. Maybe you don’t have an ignore list, which great. I’m not as thick skinned, and I like the feature.

was curious as to what others think about it.

mark
Sheesh.. I win ONE pot off you two years ago and you haven't let it go yet!!!!

/s :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Sure, I'd play. I'll give just about anyone a fair chance in real life. My ignore list is pretty long. But mostly just to make threads less annoying to read through. Plus, if I want to ignore someone in real life, it's pretty easy. I have headphones if necessary.

Sure, I'd play. I'll give just about anyone a fair chance in real life. My ignore list is pretty long. But mostly just to make threads less annoying to read through. Plus, if I want to ignore someone in real life, it's pretty easy. I have headphones if necessary.

even Bergs?

If you don't play, you are effectively giving them a veto over your own choices. I'd rather attend than let them (unknowingly) block me from doing the things that I enjoy.

Sure. I'd probably even drink a beer with bergs. Still might not like the guy, but it's not like I'm gonna get into an actual fight with him. Plus, who doesn't like free money? Lol

Hmmm. Bergs is fun to play with.

And just to get the conversation and speculation started, I think my money will be on him in that match-up. o_O :wtf::oops::cool

And just to get the conversation and speculation started, I think my money will be on him in that match-up. o_O :wtf::oops::cool

Because you think he's a strong player, or because you think I suck? lol

Too bad we'll probably never find out. Because I'd be willing to offer you some pretty compelling odds on that wager.

depends on which one. One of them, no way I'd go. The rest, eh. More then likely. I'd just find a different circle to drink around

Because you think he's a strong player, or because you think I suck? lol

Too bad we'll probably never find out. Because I'd be willing to offer you some pretty compelling odds on that wager.
Because I've met and played with him. He's a smart guy, sharp and entertaining, and he's from the east coast.

Whereas I know almost nothing about you, except that you're from California, and about the only things I've ever liked from California are San Francisco, Chez Panisse, the French Laundry, and Ridge wines. Do you own one of those? :cool

Should the host of an event "curate" the invitation list? I think yes.

What should we think of an ignored member as tournament director? Is there going to be doubts about the integrity of the game? The person handling the chips has plenty of ways to help themselves out.

I worked with all sorts of unsavory clients in my life. An astonishing assortment of adulterers, frauds, thieves, hate mongers, racists etc. As much or more so in the executive ranks that I saw every time is visited the company's campus. You learn to just hold your nose, keep your eyes open / but not share your opinions about people's personal lives. It got hard when we uncovered criminals though - no one wants to find out a key part of leadership is defrauding the company.

I think a poker meat-up would work the same way. There are some dubious people in our midst. I can smile at the table. Be good for the game and all that. But still, I would be keeping a careful eye out for shenanigans. Morally defective people seem like excellent candidates for cheats.

Trust, but verify indeed -=- DrStrange

even Bergs?
I've played with Bergs, Guinness and the rest of that NE crew, and I had a damned blast. I'd do it again if I ever had the chance.

Regarding my ignore list, my first thought was, "No, I blocked them because they're assholes." I'm not saying I'd skip a meetup, but if it was a choice of two games, one with them and one without, I'd pick the one without.

But I think I'm being swayed by some of the posts in this thread. Good people get shitty on the internet sometimes, and it's probably fair to give them a chance in person.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom