Would you have played this differently? (1 Viewer)

boltonguy

Flush
Reaction score
A bit loose but I'm tilting. UTG limps, CO raises to $1.10, BN calls, Hero calls in SB

1617317626820.png

Rewarded with a boat on the flop

1617317696919.png

Hero X, UTG X, CO bets $2.21 (1/2 pot). Hero is the only caller

1617317766132.png

Hero checks a straightening turn card and V bets $4.31 (1/2 pot). Hero calls

1617317851075.png

Hero donk jams the river figuring I have the absolute nuts as quad 8 or 9 isnt possible

1617317877094.png

Villain snap calls as the river boated him up and we chop. Hero makes a profit of $0.22.
I didnt think to jam turn as I wasnt afraid of any cards and V was doing all the betting for me ... oh, these rivers are killing me!

1617317960701.png

Attachments

• 1617317743121.png
    1617317743121.png
    217.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 1617317833545.png
    1617317833545.png
    217.1 KB · Views: 60
Just unlucky. Don't beat yourself up over it.

I probably would have raised small on the turn; however, the end result would have been the same.

Gross. I got counterfeited like that on a turned boat not long ago like that too.

I raised A9 suited on the button and got two callers. Flop came AA9. I checked, two villains check. Turn was a 9. I value bet small and amazingly got one caller, figuring that villain may have had a strong ace and flopped trips or a slow played higher pocket pair.

I'll give you one guess on what came out on the river...

Gross run out. So close to taking this guy to value town. Flop pretty standard to check call, generally I'm hoping someone bets and we end up multi way. Turn, heads up and the 7 it either makes straights or scares shitty pair type hands. Sometimes ill take a stab with a lead out here, you get some snap folds which sucks but i also wanna puke when it gets checked back in these spots. Most of the time I find myseld check/calling here though, or at least thats the hope. I think the double barrel from villan is pretty common. I dont mind either play most of the time im hoping to just get one more street of value. River, well what can ya do right. You aren't really looking for folds on any street here and id imagine with that flop and turn im pretty sticky with 9-10 if im villan.

Here's a chop I'm not unhappy about. I open in UTG with AKs, +1 3 bets to $2.25, +2 cold calls, Hero 4 bets to $9, +1 jams (short), +2 folds, I call.
I was thinking I should fold but the dead money, short jam (only $18) and AKs got me to call. Got damn lucky!
I guess me and the gods of luck are even with these two hands. $0.33 profit on this call for a total of $0.55 vs losing my stack here!

1617322901768.png

Just lost my stack again to a river. Jammed turn with the straight - V calls with a set and boats on the river. Wow!

1617324631482.png

Whenever I'm taking beats left and right I youtube tuff fish, he always gives me the strength I need to keep going. If you haven't watched any of his vids.....gold.

A bit loose but I'm tilting. UTG limps, CO raises to $1.10, BN calls, Hero calls in SB

View attachment 668566

Rewarded with a boat on the flop

View attachment 668567

Hero X, UTG X, CO bets $2.21 (1/2 pot). Hero is the only caller

View attachment 668569

Hero checks a straightening turn card and V bets $4.31 (1/2 pot). Hero calls

View attachment 668574

Hero donk jams the river figuring I have the absolute nuts as quad 8 or 9 isnt possible

View attachment 668576

Villain snap calls as the river boated him up and we chop. Hero makes a profit of $0.22.
I didnt think to jam turn as I wasnt afraid of any cards and V was doing all the betting for me ... oh, these rivers are killing me!

View attachment 668579
tldr: lead turn; unlucky runout.

Pre-flop: I like the call from the SB (I don't think this is too loose?). I think this can be a 3bet sometimes with a CO open and a button flat, and it can be a tricky hand since when we flop equity (especially in a multi-way pot) it'll mean equity for everyone else's ranges, too. Our two pair is someone else's open-ender, we could be overflushed, etc. But that's just a reason to tread lightly. If BB or LJ find 3bets, hat tip, and we'll figure out how to proceed by the time it gets back to us.

Flop: Like the check with how locked the board is for us. There's a case for leading here, since this board kind of smashes a SB calling range, and we can definitely get called by worse. We also have some bluffs like JT/QT/QJ of diamonds and hearts, and maybe 76 of those suits, that can call pre-flop from SB and lead sometimes. With three other players in the pot, we're likely to run into at least one caller on this board, and we're definitely missing value if it checks through (though we hopefully can recoup value later if it checks through). I'm just personally way worse at balancing bluffs as a lead than I am at balancing bluffs as a check-raise. Sometimes, I'd like to check-raise this hand to a size where we can shove turns--something like $6.25 should give us an easy shove on just about all turns. I think plenty of hands can call a x/r here, too. Combo draws, strong diamond draws, overpairs, gutshots with backdoor hearts, Tc8c, 8c7c (though obviously the 7c rolls off on the turn), 8c6c, etc., all have enough equity versus range, and I think there are just too many middle-of-the-deck turns (depending on villain's hand, could be as wide as 5 through Q) that a lot of villain's range will be fine checking back on. But, the presence of the lo-jack makes me pretty indifferent between check-calling and check-raising. Though the lo-jack/UTG check-folds as played, I would expect some of those equitable hands to also be in that player's limp-calling range. If CO is just one-and-done-ing with like KhQh, it serves us well keeping LJ's range in for a turn lead.

Turn: As played, I'd lead small. I think the 7 just slows CO down too often as a perceived range card for SB. In a vacuum, hero and villain both have some 8s7s, 98 in spades and clubs, 77, 99, JT. But CO has a lot more overpairs, flush draws, gut shots, BDFDs, etc. than we do. I think CO's overpairs check back, I think the strong diamond flush draws or combo draws should consider checking back to avoid getting shoved on and maybe folding out a lot of equity against our range, and I think the gutters/BDFDs are likely now give-ups. If you think this villain will fire again with flush draws, overpairs, or gutters, I definitely like calling and then maybe leading river. I just think we're missing some value from some hands that could call a bet but would check back the turn and then fold to a river lead unimproved. For sizing, I think anything between like $3.50 and the $4.31 that villain used would work fine. That gives us a river shove of near-pot to a slight overbet. Great price for flush draws to continue, too small for overpairs to fold (plus denying them a free chance to hit a two-outer), and maybe we get shoved on by an enterprising JT, a coolered 77 or 8c7c, or a bluffing QdJd/QdTd/Tc8c/Td7d. Sure, hands like QhJh might fold to a turn lead where they could've checked back and binked a T on the river, but que sera sera.

River: As played, I'm wondering what we can get called by here that isn't a 9 or an 8, though exploitatively villain should have all of his 8cXx that he opens from the CO with this bet-bet line. JT, sometimes, and maybeeee a disbelieving overpair or A-high. But I also don't think any of villain's hands decide to bet when checked to on this river. I'm sure there are some missed flush draws or gutshots that are theoretically supposed to fire again, but this river would just make me give up on whatever bluff I was trying to run because SB has so many boats now. Unfortunately, I think leading small is probably the play, unless we're ripping hands like QJ/QT of diamonds and hearts, 7h6h, 7d6d, maybe 7s6s (should we be ripping those hands? maybe? or is that just punting?). And on this runout, I think I'd want to get greedy and bet-fold small with JT targeting overpairs and A-highs (that might be a mistake, I'm not sure), but I can't see us betting JT for this size. But I'm pretty torn: the open rip after a check-call check-call does look kinda bluff-y, which is great for us here.

Last edited:
team usa countdown GIF by U.S. Figure Skating

I got counterfeited like that on a turned boat not long ago like that too.

I raised A9 suited on the button and got two callers. Flop came AA9. I checked, two villains check. Turn was a 9. I value bet small and amazingly got one caller, figuring that villain may have had a strong ace and flopped trips or a slow played higher pocket pair.

I'll give you one guess on what came out on the river...

If you going to play this pre from the SB, squeeze it at least. As played, I'd lead turn as it's much better for your range than his, and you can't count on them betting.

He had one out against you with a 9x hand. On the turn he’s far more likely to have overpairs, straights, straight draws, flush draws, pairs with a draw, even worse FHs…

Not much to protect against there. If anything you want someone to make a straight or flush on the river so you can stack them.

The only thing really to worry about on the turn is something like an overpair making a bigger boat, but they only have two outs. So in total you are something like a 94% favorite against his whole range including the chop. You are good 19 out of 20 times. Played it fine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom