Would you chop evenly three way with a big chip lead? (1 Viewer)

Maybe it’s the American in me, but I generally hate the idea of chopping a tournament and even more dislike the fact that it is often expected and or pressured.
Nope, don't think that your nationality is a factor. I would have preferred to play, and everyone said a few times that if anybody didn't want to chop then we could keep playing, so there wasn't huge pressure. But there definitely was a preference among the rest of the group to get to the cash game, so I figured that access to future earnings outweighed immediate gains and possible image damage.

Maybe it’s the American in me, but I generally hate the idea of chopping a tournament and even more dislike the fact that it is often expected and or pressured.
giphy(4).gif

As a pro I would've told them I play to win and they can take their chop and stuff it!!
ROTFL - that would have been right out of the book "How to piss off an established group and not get invited back". :ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Maybe I'll wait a few games before I pull that one out of my bag and lay it on the table.

Nope, don't think that your nationality is a factor. I would have preferred to play, and everyone said a few times that if anybody didn't want to chop then we could keep playing, so there wasn't huge pressure. But there definitely was a preference among the rest of the group to get to the cash game, so I figured that access to future earnings outweighed immediate gains and possible image damage.

Yeah I understand what you did and why you did it. I would have done the same given the circumstances. But I just don’t get the preference. Why play tournament if everyone wants the leaders to chop. I want to see who can win it. Heads up or three way play is an important skill of strategy. If you are so hurried to get the cash game going don’t bust out so early. Sit there and think about your play. Or get another table.

I’m pretty damn ‘Murican and I would have done the chop if it was a new group and we were playing cash after. Do I do it if there is a ton more money left on the table as far as my percentage goes or if I was playing somewhere where I don’t care about a re-invite?, I don’t know, doubt it.... but in this situation I’m fine with it and I still bleed bald eagles and cry tears of freedom! ;) :p

I want to see who can win it. Heads up or three way play is an important skill of strategy.
Agree 2000%
If you are so hurried to get the cash game going don’t bust out so early. Sit there and think about your play. Or get another table.
Agree 4000%! The room was pretty small (dining room in a small two story townhouse), so a second table wouldn't fit, but really, if you bust out 5 times in a three hour period, there are some serious holes in your game that need fixing.

but really, if you bust out 5 times in a three hour period, there are some serious holes in your game that need fixing.

Or alter the structure to go faster if allowing rebuys for 3 hours.

At a $20 Canadian (~$15 USD) unlimited rebuy tournament I could see myself rebuying 5 times... but I probably had some serious holes in my game.

It doesn't necessarily sound like they did this, but pressuring someone--or allowing someone to be pressured--into a chop that the cash game can get started makes one a pretty lousy host. I constantly have new players in my game and when the chop discussion comes up, I make it clear to them that the fact that all us degens are sitting around eager to splash chips around in the cash game should in no way factor into their decision (and it almost always gets mentioned in the discussion).

I’ve seen this scenario come up a lot. I usually agree to the chop to move on to the cash game, (unless there is a huge chip disparity) especially if there is only one table available. I’m not interested in playing in one side of the table while a cash game starts on the other side. I think our group always split it evenly as well.

My question is why is it customary to start the evening with a tournament and end with cash? There is always that awkward period of time when several players are knocked out and twiddling their thumbs until the cash game starts. It would make more sense to start with cash, establish a hard stop time, and then end the evening with the tournament.

It would make more sense to start with cash, establish a hard stop time, and then end the evening with the tournament.
When we run mixed cash/tournament event dates, that's usually how we do it.

But most dates are two tournaments: 1p-6:30p and 7:15p-finish (usually no later than midnight), with dinner break between.

If I have something like 40bb vs 20bb vs 15bb, I’m not chopping evenly. If it’s 14bb vs 7bb vs 5bb, I’d chop it three ways for sure, being that skill is out of the picture.

If I have something like 40bb vs 20bb vs 15bb, I’m not chopping evenly. If it’s 14bb vs 7bb vs 5bb, I’d chop it three ways for sure, being that skill is out of the picture.

Interesting point that I share in general, but it really depends on the scale of the pay-outs and the remaining players. The $50 tournament I play in on Wednesday's has a very steep pay-out structure. The pay-outs for the past two weeks have been the same: $425 for first, $200 for second and $100 for third. ($75 goes to the house.)

Usually, the tournament is over by 11:30, but last night we didn't get down to three handed play until midnight. Hero had 9BB's, Villain A had 10BB's and Villain B had 4BB's. Villain B proposed a three way even split. Hero preferred playing it out and splitting $625 two ways rather than $725 three-ways.

Hero subsequently moved all-in with suited Ace, six on Villain B's BB. Villain called with K,Q, flopped an OESD, but failed to pair or complete the straight on the turn and the river.

Two hands later, Hero agreed to a $315/$310 split with Villain A rather than play it out and risking an unfavorable outcome.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom