Would you change the frac from $0.25 to $0.50, for $0.50/$1? (1 Viewer)

Freeroll

Two Pair
Reaction score
I currently host a multi table cash game every second Saturday. We play $0.25/$0.50, with a $60 max buy in.

At the last game, it seemed like some players were interested in upping the blinds and/or the max buy in for the game.

So I’m thinking about changing the stakes at the main table (this table has a shuffle tech and my wife deals for us for tips) to $0.50/$1, with no cap on the buy ins, and leaving the other two tables (self dealt) at $0.25/$0.50, with a $60 cap.

I currently only have $0.25 fracs, and don’t have any $0.50 fracs. I also have an order in for a CPC set, but these will also only have $0.25 fracs.

I’m just curious if those of you that play, or have played $0.50/$1, if you would recommend getting the $0.50 fracs, or will the $0.25s be fine?

I currently host a multi table cash game every second Saturday. We play $0.25/$0.50, with a $60 max buy in.

At the last game, it seemed like some players were interested in upping the blinds and/or the max buy in for the game.

So I’m thinking about changing the stakes at the main table (this table has a shuffle tech and my wife deals for us for tips) to $0.50/$1, with no cap on the buy ins, and leaving the other two tables (self dealt) at $0.25/$0.50, with a $60 cap.

I currently only have $0.25 fracs, and don’t have any $0.50 fracs. I also have an order in for a CPC set, but these will also only have $0.25 fracs.

I’m just curious if those of you that play, or have played $0.50/$1, if you would recommend getting the $0.50 fracs, or will the $0.25s be fine?
$.25 are fine

25c will work but from experience as I often played 50c/$1 stake. That people will complain a lot about using 2 chip for Sb , either requesting to play $1/$1 instead or just use 25c as 50c value instead

If you can afford just get a rack of 50c I usually just give out a 6-10 50c per person to use. If not just ask ur guys to get use with 2 chip for sb

25c will work but from experience as I often played 50c/$1 stake. That people will complain a lot about using 2 chip for Sb , either requesting to play $1/$1 instead or just use 25c as 50c value instead

If you can afford just get a rack of 50c I usually just give out a 6-10 50c per person to use. If not just ask ur guys to get use with 2 chip for sb
This plus 1. Don't spend just to spend, but you will have players ask to just start playing 1/1. And at your stakes ny bet would be you'd lose a quiet player or two over the next two months over it, but they'd never clearly say why (going .25/.50 to .50/1 and potentially 1/1 is a big difference for players already stretching their budget).

Another vote here for 25¢ chips are fine. My buddies and I use 25¢, $1, and $5 (and very occasionally $25) for $40-100 buy in, 25¢ ante dealer choice games up to $1/2 NLHE and PLO/Pineapple games. For $100 buy in, I typically give out 40 25¢, 40 $1, and 10 $5. It's probably not etiquette but it's common for us to put in $5 or $10 (or more sometimes) worth of 25¢ chips when betting/calling/raising/etc as a running joke that if you win the pot, you're getting all the "ugly" brown chips... :D

That being said, I recently bought a set of Nevada Jack skulls that has both 25¢ and 50¢ chips so it will be interesting how everyone feels about them when we finally get to use them...

Yes. I don't relabel my .25s, but I use them as .50s. We play .50/1 and using .25s as .25s gets too many fracs in play and becomes a bit burdensome.

And YES...I highly recommend getting .50 fracs IF you don't play a smaller game. We do not, so .25s are a waste. If you use .50s, 1 rack matches up perfectly with 2 racks of 1s as follows.

.50 x 6
$1 x 12
$5 x 1

You will end up with spares; 4 x fracs and 8 x $1s, which you simply add 2 $5s to to total $20 in each stack. You then top off with $5s and $25s for buy ins larger than $20.

I clearly understand that .25s are more versatile, but again, if you don't play a smaller game, then definitely go with .50s. Even if you're contemplating .25/.50 for a one off occassion, just play .50/.50.

Just my 2 cents, but we have been playung .50/$1 for 10+ years.

Edit: the .25s are fine since you already habe them, but I recommend getting .50s if you're getting a new set.

My group plays $.50/$1 blinds with a $100 buy-in. I have sets with $.25 chips and sets with $.50 chips. Both work fine. Starting stack includes 8 fracs whatever the denomination.

There is no magic about having two different blinds. If people are giving the BB a walk in an unraked game, your game is too nitty.

.50/.50 or $1/$1 but don't get .50 chips just for a SB.

I would use quarters. They will work for a .25/.50 game and a .50/1 game. Never know when you'll have some newbies that want to play a little bit lower stakes.

Another vote here for 25¢ chips are fine. My buddies and I use 25¢, $1, and $5 (and very occasionally $25) for $40-100 buy in, 25¢ ante dealer choice games up to $1/2 NLHE and PLO/Pineapple games. For $100 buy in, I typically give out 40 25¢, 40 $1, and 10 $5. It's probably not etiquette but it's common for us to put in $5 or $10 (or more sometimes) worth of 25¢ chips when betting/calling/raising/etc as a running joke that if you win the pot, you're getting all the "ugly" brown chips... :D

That being said, I recently bought a set of Nevada Jack skulls that has both 25¢ and 50¢ chips so it will be interesting how everyone feels about them when we finally get to use them...
Your players are not so subtly telling you that you put far too many quarters in play.

Your players are not so subtly telling you that you put far too many quarters in play.
That's entirely possible, I'll ask them. :D Most of us have known and played poker with each other since high school and we're all pretty relaxed when we play, e.g. no one has ever called clock and up until recently (when i started buying the next step above), we all played with dice chips. We'll also occasionally tell each other when we've got the nuts (no one is trying to destroy anyone else)... :)

I’ve had the same question….sounds like 25c is the more versatile choice for sure, but the best option is of course to have both! Haha

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom