Would you allow this kind of bet? (3 Viewers)

Would you allow this kind of bet?

• Yes--intent is clear, and the bet is allowable

• Yes, but only if bet amount is stated first

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Verbalize your bet and I don't care if you poop out the chips...well maybe that's a bit much...all day in the sun and I'm a bit ornery

I was playing a $60 tournament at the Monte Carlo year's ago before the poker room closed....they spent waaaaaay to much time explaining that any chip that crossed the betting line was considered bet. They literally explained the rule about four times. I guess they deal with a lot of drunks.

Anyway, my first hand I look down at AA. Taking my whole stack in my hand, I reach out dropping one black chip and then pull the stack back. Dealer immediately yells ”floor!” and I put on my best ”ooops” face.

Floor comes over and explains I have to put in my stack which is done. Two people then call me thinking I was a drunk not paying attention and I manage to win the pot, trippling up.

As soon as I flipped my hands everyone at the table had a good laugh, except the two guys who called. Even the dealer thought it was funny.

I know it was a bush league angle shoot but it was one of those times when the stars aligned.

Not cheating. Morally questionable, at best.

I get it. It was literally the first hand of the tournament. Mind you a 1:00 am type of thing. 80% of the table knew exactly what was happening.

I think we’ve been through this before. But to me, it’s slightly less morally questionable than the callers who were attempting to take advantage of what they thought was somebody’s mistake.

Pretty fine line -- if any -- between deceiving your opponent into making a mistake, and capitalizing on an opponent's mistake. Both legal. Both legitimate goals and basic strategies for winning at poker. And yet both questionable behaviors, in this specific case. Poker is a weird game.

Since it is a home game, I would ask them not to do so. If they persist, set up a strict rule not allowing it or not invite those friends at all.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom