Would a giant mousepad be a decent table topper? (2 Viewers)

What fabric did you get for it?
I just went with the basic nylon fabric. Works fine for me. The other great thing about these basic large mousepads is if they get stained, they're super easy and relatively cheap to replace.

While you're investigating options, be sure to check out the poker hoodie as well. A number of people have used those and feel that they work well.

I wouldn't be surprised if this has been discussed before, but I came across these:

https://shop.mousepads.cool/collections/pad-zilla-giant-black-mouse-pads

The 60x30 model would be perfect for my table, but unfortunately, they're out of stock. I assume there are other places to buy such a thing, so I'm on a quest.

Unless there's a reason it won't work.
Also, found this, where I could upload art of my choosing.

https://shop.x-raypad.com/product/custom-mouse-pads-any-size/
Both of those links are crazy-prices. You can get a 70x35 oval roll-up poker mat on eBay or Amazon for around $40 shipped, Trim to size if needed.

They do work, but what I don't like about them is that the rubber is usually too dense so as to make shuffling chips and peeking at hole cards a PITA as your finger tips and thumbs bounce off the surface. Also, cards tend to glide really well on them, so it's really easy to pitch cards right off the table.

Both of those links are crazy-prices. You can get a 70x35 oval roll-up poker mat on eBay or Amazon for around $40 shipped, Trim to size if needed.
Yeah, but the 2nd one could have a picture of my face on it! :D

They do work, but what I don't like about them is that the rubber is usually too dense so as to make shuffling chips and peeking at hole cards a PITA as your finger tips and thumbs bounce off the surface. Also, cards tend to glide really well on them, so it's really easy to pitch cards right off the table.

Are the oval table tops less slidey?

I've had this one for a few years and have no complaints about

Screenshot_20180716-213238_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I did buy a PCF mat to use now as it fits my dining room table better.

I would reccomend getting a rectangle one since I see that are available now on Amazon.....if you have a rectangle table

While I see no reason why the giant mouse pad wouldn't work, I like Psypher's idea! I have 3 of the neoprene pads from http://www.foamorder.com/neoprene/neoprene.html. It's not as nice as a really nice poker table top, but it beats the hard surface felt (without good padding) by a lot! Since I'm limited to a dining room table, and kitchen table, and a somewhat makeshift conference table, these are great options for me, and much cheaper than a nice poker table. Notes:
  • I have a Poker Hoody and I like these better.
  • I got the Nylon fabric, but I use mine as table pads. I don't play on that surface. I put a neoprene topper on top. You could easily play on top, but it is plain fabric without markings. I like the neoprene topper on top that has a betting line. That's not critical, but it's nice.
  • Two of them are 3mm and the other is 2mm. I like the 3mm better, but the 2mm works and with a 2mm table topper on it, it makes for a good surface. If you wanted to play on the surface itself, I'd get 3-6mm.
  • I've ordered 2 PCF mats that I think are 6mm. I'll try them on the 2mm and 3mm pads (total of 8mm and 9mm). I don't know if that would be too thick -- I hope not.
  • The edges have the nylon fabric that extend beyond the pad. I've never bothered cutting those to the pad size because I have them hanging off the table anyway. That only applies to the sides; the ends are pad. I found it is better to have it a little long and let it hang off the table than try to exactly size it.
  • All of mine are black, but they have a wide variety of colors. I like the black with a neoprene topper on top. I've used green, black, and red (but not the blue). I like the looks. Players typically keep their chips off the topper itself but some do keep their chips on the topper behind the betting line.
  • They are easy to clean. I spread them out on a driveway and hose them down. You can use mild soap if you like. I do that about every 3-4 years. I brush them after every use. Of course, I have a playing pad on top (a 35"x70"), but I wash them all at the same time.
  • The back easily sticks to a wood table without sliding around and without leaving any marks on the table.
  • I attached a strip of velcro on the bottom along one end, and the other piece of velcro on a 5 ft dowel rod. I attach the velcro and roll it up and then put 3 velcro strips around it to hold it together. It stands upright in a closet, takes very little room, and is easy to roll and unroll.
  • Cards slide well on it, but we don't have a big problem with cards flying off the table. It does happen, but it's rare. I don't have rails, which is the real reason cards would fly off the table anyway.
  • Some of my players shuffle chips and they seem to do it just fine.

[QUOTE="TexRex, post: 583011, member: 121"
  • I have a Poker Hoody and I like these better.
[/QUOTE]

Do you mean you like the neoprene from foamorder.com better?

Beaker, yes, but I could say the same for the neoprene table toppers too. Between the table pad (from Foam Order) and a neoprene topper, I have a nonslip neoprene surface that doesn't require either trying to cinch it (which I've never really figured out how to make that work) or finding something to put under it so it doesn't slip around.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom