Wood Stained Chip Science Project (1 Viewer)

Jonzee

Two Pair
Supporter
Reaction score
Preface:
I bought 1 barrel of mint HSI primary $1 with the sole intention of science i.e. murdering, relabeling, coloring, or whatever other crazy idea I come up with. I realize I may ruin some of them, but at this point I think anyone that wanted some got them already being that they were on sale at TCR for almost 5 moths at .60 per chip.

I don’t think I will move forward with this but I found the results interesting enough that I am willing to share. After a bit of light research on some ceramic and sculpture websites/forums I found that some artists use oil based wood stains on baked and hardened clay to color their sculpture. I picked up a small can of red oil based wood stain from Home Depot for $5 and applied 2 quick coats using a paint brush. I only waited about 5 minutes in between each coat and rubbed the excess stain in with a towel to even out the coat in between layers. My goal was to create a pink chip and it worked. However, the porous spots of the chip are not even just like wood and it created darker flecks of pink at different spots upon closer inspection. See pictures attached, let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

• DD570D89-F54E-44DA-8650-7B8A1F91D6CD.jpeg
    DD570D89-F54E-44DA-8650-7B8A1F91D6CD.jpeg
    210.6 KB · Views: 505
  • 4719047B-5468-4F56-B468-D31EB56815AA.jpeg
    4719047B-5468-4F56-B468-D31EB56815AA.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 456
That looks pretty awesome...I wonder how long the stain will last or if it will fade with regular wear.

I think it looks really good :tup:

Guessing you used a matte finish; did it change the texture in any appreciable way?

Hmmm,
I doesn’t say anything about matte finish or glossy on the can. No change to the texture of the chip. The chip sucked up the stain into the clay pretty well so the surface texture did not change at all.
I think the big test will be finding out if the color bleeds out onto my fingers after it’s 100% dry.

Attachments

• 850444D4-259D-46D1-9DA7-C5D3E8439AE8.jpeg
    850444D4-259D-46D1-9DA7-C5D3E8439AE8.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 106
Modern clay chips are a combo of plastics and fibers (possibly cotton, polyester etc.)
I think what you have done is stained the plastic, and the fibers accept the stain a little differently, creating the spotting.
Very interesting!

Love it!
I wonder what it does to the stackability, shufflability, etc. if anything.

I wonder if using a wood pre-stain/conditioner would make any difference in the color consistency? It would be an interesting test.

Modern clay chips are a combo of plastics and fibers (possibly cotton, polyester etc.)
I think what you have done is stained the plastic, and the fibers accept the stain a little differently, creating the spotting.
Very interesting!
This is what has happened your correct on this. You can do the same with 3d print filament,

Love it!
I wonder what it does to the stackability, shufflability, etc. if anything.
As far as I can tell after letting it dry over night it has not affected the stackability nor has it visibly warped the chip in any way.
I’ll do 5 more tonight to create a little shuffle stack...
Also, after rubbing on the chip a little this morning (hey now...) there does not seem to be any color transfer onto my fingers now that it is dry!

I wonder if more coats were applied if the gaps of colour would be filled........this would require incredible patience though to do a whole set.

I’ve thought about doing this too with food coloring or dye. I wanted to dip the chip in the dye to make half pies. I never actually tried it though

I wonder if more coats were applied if the gaps of colour would be filled........this would require incredible patience though to do a whole set.
I agree,
That would take a lot of patience and I’m definitely not doing a whole set.
I’m considering doing 1 rack! I think the pink with 2 brown edge spots would make a sick .50 frac for only a $70 total investment. I could streamline it to 20 chips a day and be done in less than a week if I were to go through with it. Just need to get the process right...

Muddy sneaker, pink, whatever you call it, I kind of like the way the stained chips look stacked with my other HSI’s. I might just have to finish a rack of them rack and order some frac labels...

Attachments

• 843E385F-C978-4C65-86C3-6F046E03444D.jpeg
    843E385F-C978-4C65-86C3-6F046E03444D.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 272
  • 9C60CCD8-5E78-4714-A711-1BA5D5CCB8DA.jpeg
    9C60CCD8-5E78-4714-A711-1BA5D5CCB8DA.jpeg
    140.2 KB · Views: 239
Wait, what if we Rit Dye some white chips?
Will it scratch off?

You could try and mimic Santa Ysabel chips in color with slightly different edge spots that way.

Will Rit Dye effect the edge spot colors? I have 2 racks of HCI $1s I murdered that may end up not getting used, but if the dye methods work, I'll turn them into my new 5k chips in a 3 table tournament set

I'm frantically looking for spare 1s to test on. Probably will order a barrel online to try different dyes with, I'm way too excited for new project ideas.

I wonder if the color holds up to gameplay and doesnt transfer to other chips, the felt, etc

Possible colors to try
Yellow
Blue
Orange
Purple
Pink

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom