Wood Stained Chip Science Project (1 Viewer)

Wait, what if we Rit Dye some white chips?
Will it scratch off?

You could try and mimic Santa Ysabel chips in color with slightly different edge spots that way.

Will Rit Dye effect the edge spot colors? I have 2 racks of HCI $1s I murdered that may end up not getting used, but if the dye methods work, I'll turn them into my new 5k chips in a 3 table tournament set
This has always been my biggest concern when contemplating dying Paulsons. From what I've read, it's always worked well on Faux Clays, but they are hard injection molded plastic. With softer Paulsons, I've expected that wear may eventually surpass penetration of colour.

For the people considering doing this for a set:
It would be very hard to get the dye deep enough into the chip material. It’s fun to do but I don’t plan on actually using the brown chip

I would love to see a dyed/stained chip snapped in half to see how far (if at all) the stain/dye has soaked in.
I might cry a little after, but I’ll break one tonight as a valid scientific concern has been raised...

Stained Chip:
I took a knife to the corner and gave one of them a good size flea bite. What others said is true, there is very little/ no penetration into the chip. It is a reasonable to assume as the clay wears down the color would grind off too...
Too bad, I liked the way they looked.

Attachments

• 1838F7B9-2045-4363-9F87-B70B466AE0FC.jpeg
    1838F7B9-2045-4363-9F87-B70B466AE0FC.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 212
  • 8C672B6F-6988-496E-9588-B4574EA64979.jpeg
    8C672B6F-6988-496E-9588-B4574EA64979.jpeg
    65.2 KB · Views: 186
Stained Chip:
I took a knife to the corner and gave one of them a good size flea bite. What others said is true, there is very little/ no penetration into the chip. It is a reasonable to assume as the clay wears down the color would grind off too...
Just re-dye them every few years - Pink $1s, Brown $1s, Dark Brown $1s, almost Black $1s, time for new $1s.

Just re-dye them every few years - Pink $1s, Brown $1s, Dark Brown $1s, almost Black $1s, time for new $1s.
LMAO,
MEHHH, whats the point I was just having fun anyways. At my rate I am sure I’ll have at least a couple new sets by the time I’d ever have to re-color anything lol. Now I just need to figure out what other colors to try for fun. Yellow and blue are next! Science!

LMAO,
MEHHH, whats the point I was just having fun anyways. At my rate I am sure I’ll have at least a couple new sets by the time I’d ever have to re-color anything lol. Now I just need to figure out what other colors to try for fun. Yellow and blue are next! Science!

Stained Chip:
This confirms my theory about oiled clay chips as well. I’ve always thought that the oil wasn’t really being absorbed at all, with the chip being mostly plastic.
Thanks for the experiment!

I’m trying the same thing
Got a pretty decent sky blue on one chip (not spotted at all and it’s a deep color) and will be doing a barrel later tonight.
I’ll post pics at some point
The stain does not penetrate the chip on mine either but it does seem to be pretty resilient to scratching and it doesn’t fade with soap and water.
I was thinking about using it as an HSi frac - getting it the same color as the secondary 25c chip with the grey edge spots.

Here’s an attempt at pink. Didn’t come out exactly as planned but close and will need to play with the formula to get it closer to the jack snapper pink at some point.

it’s true that it doesn’t get much penetration but it also doesn’t come off with soap, water or scratching with your nails.

the tricky part is getting it to absorb without using boiling hot water because that definitely makes the chip brittle. Using some chemical alterations to the dyes I’ve got it to reach a similar color for a similar time immersed with warm water.

edit: for reference this would be closest to plain ol pink: (it looks more purpleish in the pic that it does in person)

1623114503484.png

Attachments

• A763B280-4E50-44B6-B212-1B4C4ED412FE.jpeg
    A763B280-4E50-44B6-B212-1B4C4ED412FE.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 202
  • BBA7C221-A2D8-4F2D-A95B-9231BDBC0594.jpeg
    BBA7C221-A2D8-4F2D-A95B-9231BDBC0594.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
I think those came out awesome!!!
What was the “formula” you used? Was it a stain? Did you have to blend different colors? Those would make an awesome frac!

Last edited:
It’s a mix but this one was mostly doable with rit dye since the pink is so close to one of their pinks. . I have tons of jack and Hsi 1s that I already murdered so I’ll for sure have enough to sell if anyone wants.

I still want to tweak it a bit. next color is going to be the blue from the Hsi sec frac which I believe is ice blue. I’m waiting for an Hsi sample set to arrive to check for sure what it is.

1623125041404.png

it works well because the Hsi 1 pri is same basic design except edgespots are different, but the blue/brown seems like it would be a decent combo.
1623125276825.jpeg

And after that blaze orange and hot pink.

Last edited:
It’s a mix but this one was mostly doable with rit dye since the pink is so close to one of their pinks. . I have tons of jack and Hsi 1s that I already murdered so I’ll for sure have enough to sell if anyone wants.

I still want to tweak it a bit. next color is going to be the blue from the Hsi sec frac which I believe is ice blue. I’m waiting for an Hsi sample set to arrive to check for sure what it is.

View attachment 714750
it works well because the Hsi 1 pri is same basic design except edgespots are different, but the blue/brown seems like it would be a decent combo.View attachment 714753
Cool project.
Interested to see what the primaries turn out like.....

View attachment 714750
it works well because the Hsi 1 pri is same basic design except edgespots are different, but the blue/brown seems like it would be a decent combo.View attachment 714753
Wow thats amazing results. Wonder how they held up after 2 years. I want to do the same to some $1 Indiana Grands

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom