Wood Routers :: Dewalt 618 vs Bosch 1617 (1 Viewer)

justsomedude

Straight Flush
Reaction score
I’m looking at buying a fixed/plunge base router combo, and have come down to the Dewalt 618 or Bosch 1167.

My brain is melting comparing the two, as both seem to be fairly reliable options with good reviews. The Bosch is the older/more established model and has a slightly better motor (not that it would really factor into the work I’d be doing with it). The Dewalt is a newer entry with comparable functions. Both come with 1/2” and 1/4” collet options.

Does anyone have experience with either of these units? Do you recommend one over the other? Any specific pros/cons I should know about?

Thanks in advance!

0BF8722A-F12A-4B51-9469-13B2D9077D31.png

1D0B29EC-CAB2-4B5B-A19E-66FD0F51E8EA.png

FWIW - I doubt I’ll be using a router table anytime soon, so that isnt much of a concern for me. This will be primarily for hand-held work.

I have two of the Bosch 1167s, one fixed in my router table. You should be able to get the kit with the fixed and plunge base for somewhere around $180. I have never found it to be underpowered - in fact, sometimes a little scary over powered so I bought the Colt trim router as well for smaller cuts.

I have lots of blue tools hence I'm a little biased. My miter saw is yellow but I'm looking to replace it with a Bosch...

They're probably the same router from an internal standpoint. There's a company in China that makes only internal components and sells them to all the major manufacturers. Only the bodies are difference.

My advice is to got to your local Home Depot and feel them for yourself. You didn't say what is important to you in terms of feel, weight, where the plunge lever and on/off switch is located... those are really the only things that set them apart.

You didn’t list the cordless version

I don’t like cordless for circular saws, routers, etc. They just kill batteries too quickly.

Drills, drivers, blowers, weed trimmers... I’ll go cordless all day long. But for saws and routers I like to be plugged in. That’s just my own weirdness, and I know that. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

FWIW this will be worse than Paulson/BCC/TRK/CPC

with that said I’m biased towards DeWalt

I’m pretty biased towards Dewalt as well, and have a ton of yellow tools in my basement. But the plethora of reviews/articles on the 1167 are hard to ignore. :nailbite:

Reactions: JWC
This is turning out like one of the Reddit threads I found on this debate... after a few posts it’s was something like 6 to 1 Bosch, and some one posted up: “I think you have your answer.” :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I own the Bosch and i cant say a single thing bad about it..... but i will also say the dewalt power tools i own pull their weight and am always surprised by thier ruggedness and performance. yup dropped a few
not sure if the price difference is big
if it is a big delta than i would say dewalt home use bosch commercial use.
now i was a major fan of cases over soft bags, but my feelings are changing in that matter. But when it comes to storing in your garage/basement/worshop hard cases win it for me.

I have the Bosch combo kit. It’s been a great set except one time the switch stopped working which used to be a common issue that may be fixed now? Not sure. I had to open it up and clean out the sawdust. Otherwise, it has been a great tool and served me very well.

I haven’t used the Dewalt so can’t comment on it.

I’ve used an old Ryobi, which was junk and died mid job on me.

If you don’t need the combo kit or the extra horses the Porter Cable 690 is a great router.

Massive router sale on Prime Day…

Bosch 1617 kit is $179 w/ fixed and plunge bases and case
Dewalt DCW600B is $149 (and $137 corded)

These are better prices than I paid for mine 2.5 years ago. Crazy.

Massive router sale on Prime Day…

Bosch 1617 kit is $179 w/ fixed and plunge bases and case
Dewalt DCW600B is $149 (and $137 corded)

These are better prices than I paid for mine 2.5 years ago. Crazy.
Which one did you go with?

I'd be tempted to buy another motor only if possible to keep it in my router table full time instead of needing to swap it out when using it. But I hardly do any wood working anymore.

Which one did you go with?

I got the Bosch 1617 kit back in 2020. Paid $199 at the time as I recall. It’s a beast and probably overkill for a weekend warrior like me. But it made building my 2 tables a breeze.

Just ordered the Dewalt DCW600B though. It’s a smaller/trim router. And cordless. Plan to use it for shaping trim, mortising hinges, latch plates in doors, etc. The Bosch is just too bulky for that kind of detail work.

I haven’t watched this yet cuz work…but lemme know if it’s any good for comparing the two.

Sorry, I should have been more clear in my original post...

The Bosch 1617 is a full size router with a fixed and plunge base.
The Dewalt DCW600B is a compact/trim router. That guy calls them palm routers in his video.

2 different tools. There's obviously some crossover between them, but the 1617 is more of a workhorse, while the DCW600 is more for smaller/detailed jobs.

Sorry, I should have been more clear in my original post...

The Bosch 1617 is a full size router with a fixed and plunge base.
The Dewalt DCW600B is a compact/trim router. That guy calls them palm routers in his video.

2 different tools. There's obviously some crossover between them, but the 1617 is more of a workhorse, while the DCW600 is more for smaller/detailed jobs.
Ahh. Thank you. Wondering if anyone could recommend a router. I’m not a wood worker at all, but maybe like to get more into it in the future. If I was only using that router to help build a poker table for the immediate future, but might use it later in life for, whatever one would use a router for, then which one is recommended. I guess a router that I can grow with. Thanks.

Ahh. Thank you. Wondering if anyone could recommend a router. I’m not a wood worker at all, but maybe like to get more into it in the future. If I was only using that router to help build a poker table for the immediate future, but might use it later in life for, whatever one would use a router for, then which one is recommended. I guess a router that I can grow with. Thanks.

The Bosch will fit that need nicely. It’s what I used for my second table build. And it was a joy to work with. Definitely provides room for growth as well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom